Author Topic: The Philosophy Game  (Read 2760 times)

Offline Colonel Howe

• Donator
  • There isn't a noose tight enough
    • View Profile
    • People's History Podcast
  • Nick: Noah
  • Side: Neutral
The Philosophy Game
« on: August 29, 2013, 01:40:30 am »
Welcome Kids to...

The Philosophy Game

Here's how it goes, I ask a big picture and philosophical question each week, you discuss it.

*This is a spin-off of my other thread, "Political Spectrum".

Rules:
  • Respect others opinions
  • Do not insult anybody
  • Do not wander off topic until I give the next questions

Fuck off, Nazi scum

Offline Colonel Howe

• Donator
    • View Profile
Re: The Philosophy Game
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 01:40:49 am »
This Week's Question is:
What is the responsibility of all humans? Do we exist merely to survive day to day or to make a difference while we're here? Do we have any extra responsibilities with other people? Must we help those less fortunate than us?

This is the full question, please answer all parts if that is to your liking.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 01:44:16 am by Colonel Howe »
Fuck off, Nazi scum

Offline Allasaphore

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 02:06:01 am »
You have no purpose at all. Give yourself purpose, or have none.

Offline Colonel Howe

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 02:11:32 am »
Very good answer. i might need to start an ad campaign: "Allasaphore, Ruler of the Universe"  ;D
Fuck off, Nazi scum

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
  • I'm still here. Dunno why.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: ClearlyInvsible
  • Side: Union
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 02:43:19 am »
What is the responsibility of all humans? Do we exist merely to survive day to day or to make a difference while we're here? Do we have any extra responsibilities with other people? Must we help those less fortunate than us?

Well I can't answer the first part without going onto an extreme religious tirade which would make me look like an extreme zealot.

But I do feel we're entitled to help our fellow man, I mean if I see a guy sitting ont he sidewalk freezing to death I'll be damned if I don't get that man a blanket and  give him 5 bucks for a sandwich.
"No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it."- Andrew Carnegie
“A man who has no conscience, no goodness, does not suffer.” - Khaled Hosseini
Faggots will burn in hell anyway, who cares.

Offline König

• Major
  • A major König
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Koenig
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 04:35:19 am »

Well I can't answer the first part without going onto an extreme religious tirade which would make me look like an extreme zealot.

But I do feel we're entitled to help our fellow man, I mean if I see a guy sitting on the sidewalk freezing to death I'll be damned if I don't get that man a blanket and  give him 5 bucks for a sandwich.
I agree with the above statements.
I don't trust anything but pizza from a pizza place.

Offline Allasaphore

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 02:57:25 pm »

But I do feel we're entitled to help our fellow man, I mean if I see a guy sitting ont he sidewalk freezing to death I'll be damned if I don't get that man a blanket and  give him 5 bucks for a sandwich.

To facilitate the discussion, I need to ask. Why?

Offline Hawke

• Donator
  • Aquila non capit muscas.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Hawke
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 03:00:52 pm »
So he doesn't, you know, die?

Offline Allasaphore

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 07:43:31 pm »
So he doesn't, you know, die?

Though what does his life mean to me?

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
  • I'm still here. Dunno why.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: ClearlyInvsible
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 08:24:30 pm »
I guess it all falls upon morality. Maybe a person can walk on if they see a person on the street and not care, but I can't. Nor can most people. It just doesn't sit right to me.

Besides if you saw someone in trouble and you could help him, why in the hell would you not?
"No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it."- Andrew Carnegie
“A man who has no conscience, no goodness, does not suffer.” - Khaled Hosseini
Faggots will burn in hell anyway, who cares.

Offline Hugonaut

• Donator
  • He that cannot obey cannot command -B. Franklin
    • View Profile
    • 29th Worcestershire
  • Nick: 29th_Col_Hugonaut
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 08:46:51 pm »
As far as logic and absolute reason can go the job of humanity is to strive and work together for a better future for mankind. It may be religious, but we can't know that because we all die and no one comes back. So I believe our purpose as a sentient being is to strive for a happy, loving, and better place to love for all peoples, existing now, and in the future. i also believe that in order for humanity to survive we must reproduce. Thus making homosexuality wrong on a compass of nature(no offense). But if I am to be truly philosophical I must add that the universe may or may not be infinite. If it isn't the only thing outside o it would be nothing. And something inside of nothing is nothing so sometimes I feel we dot even really exist. And if we do its possible that everyone around you isn't sentient. Or we are ll apart of the same sentient being. And go watch the matrix.

Offline Allasaphore

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 12:03:00 am »
I guess it all falls upon morality. Maybe a person can walk on if they see a person on the street and not care, but I can't. Nor can most people. It just doesn't sit right to me.

Besides if you saw someone in trouble and you could help him, why in the hell would you not?

That's it, though. Why should you help someone in the first place? What seems to establish such as a moral law? If it is seen as a moral law, then why is it seen as such?

Offline von_Bismarck

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 12:33:23 am »

That's it, though. Why should you help someone in the first place?

Well, there are many reasons why helping others is good for everyone. Not only does this give us a great sense of satisfaction, but this satisfaction leads to the sense of belonging. You are no longer just living an ordinary life, you are now having a positive impact on someone else’s life as well.  Some people will tell you lies and say they help others selflessly, but ultimately it is for the positive feeling we get within ourselves, but that doesn't make it selfish.

What seems to establish such as a moral law? If it is seen as a moral law, then why is it seen as such?

It is seen as part of the morality because helping the others in situations of life or death might save, change or end lives. In the daily life it can be really beneficial as I have explained before.  Talking about morality in all its sense, there is no objective 'right' and 'wrong'. Morality is entirely subjective. An individual's morality is influenced by culture and perhaps through evolution. For example, altruism and honesty are beneficial traits to have for social animals such as humans who survive by living in communities. If humans were inherently selfish and facetious by nature the cohesiveness of the community would erode completely since we would not be able to form any bonds between each other and our species would die out.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 03:54:35 am by von_Bismarck »

Offline Allasaphore

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 12:40:07 am »
That's not a bad explanation. :)

Anywho, time to play devil's advocate for the sake of discourse.

From what you have said, one can be led to believe that morality is inherently greedy, and by saying that helping another because it gives us satisfaction is moral, we agree that the fulfilled sum of our desires is completely moral. If it is moral to act in a manner that satisfies us in such a situation, is it then moral to act as a hedonist or glutton?

What you have described at the end of your first paragraph is that you must help people for their own sake, rather than your own pleasure, in order to not be selfish. You have contradicted yourself, though, and said that people lie when they help others selflessly, so this means that they do so in consideration for their own satisfaction, and are by nature selfish. So, is it moral to be greedy, or greedy in specified situations, or is there something else?

(Just posting like this to facilitate discussion. No hard feelings. :c)

Offline von_Bismarck

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 01:03:26 am »
That's not a bad explanation. :)

Anywho, time to play devil's advocate for the sake of discourse.

From what you have said, one can be led to believe that morality is inherently greedy, and by saying that helping another because it gives us satisfaction is moral, we agree that the fulfilled sum of our desires is completely moral. If it is moral to act in a manner that satisfies us in such a situation, is it then moral to act as a hedonist or glutton?

What you have described at the end of your first paragraph is that you must help people for their own sake, rather than your own pleasure, in order to not be selfish. You have contradicted yourself, though, and said that people lie when they help others selflessly, so this means that they do so in consideration for their own satisfaction, and are by nature selfish. So, is it moral to be greedy, or greedy in specified situations, or is there something else?

(Just posting like this to facilitate discussion. No hard feelings. :c)

Both of them are immoral. Let's start with the Gluttony. Gluttony is more than just food. It is overdoing anything to much. Drugs, alcohol, eating and sex. I would say more but I'm really tired.