Poll

Union or Confederacy

Union
Confederacy
Neither
Great Britain! Subdue the rebellious Colony!

Author Topic: Union Or Confederacy?  (Read 77772 times)

Offline TheBoberton

• Knight of Blueberry
  • Colonel
  • I don't want no pardon for anything I done
    • View Profile
    • Thomas' Steam Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Union Or Confederacy?
« Reply #135 on: January 10, 2013, 04:27:16 pm »
The Confederates were the aggressors by, you know, seceding in the first place. And no, it's not your constitutional right to rebel without the Union doing anything about it. Again, most people did not support the murder and destruction of the south, they supported the quelling of the rebellion and the preservation of the Union.

You know, given that they'd just fought a war for it, it's pretty damn hypocritical of the first 'Americans' to put together a government that prohibits secessio... wait... it didn't.

'You cannot leave this union, even if most people want to, or we'll burn down your homes, murder and rape your wives, and salt your bloody fields.'
Sounds about right. Preservation at all costs.

And, are you really implying that if the south had won, the south's economy would not be in ruins? Both of our countries would be shitholes today, and neither side would be happy. I wouldn't be surprised if we would have been living under foreign rule by the end of world war one, or even before that.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt your message-exchange with the alternate timeline in which the Confederacy did win. Given that neither of us have experienced a Confederate victory in the war, I dare say we cannot judge what may have happened after.

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
  • "And I believe I have cut your throat"- Fiore
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wryngwyrm
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #136 on: January 10, 2013, 04:35:23 pm »
It's a human right if you ask me for a people to govern themselves. Seeing as nearly the entirety of Southerners wanted to secede I'd say that's basis enough to want to govern themselves. And when the Confederates seceded they asked the Union troops to peacefully leave the forts in Southern lands - most of them did actually and had the garrison at Fort Sumter done so, 600,000+ dead could have been avoided - they did not just start attacking the Union without any point or reason. Also, there are plenty of people who believe that Sherman's destruction of civilian targets was a good thing and to those people, I say stop breathing. I used to have family in Georgia before Sherman's march. And I repeat myself, if you believe that the actions of Sherman were the right actions then I can not believe I breathe in the Rainbow Dust with which you Enhance the air. Sorry Mods but rainbow sparkles are Awesome.

ModEdit: Don't be melodramatic. When a moderator edits your post, don't re-offend exactly the same two posts later.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 10:09:05 pm by Blobmania »

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 10, 2013, 05:12:31 pm »
It's a human right if you ask me for a people to govern themselves. Seeing as nearly the entirety of Southerners wanted to secede I'd say that's basis enough to want to govern themselves. And when the Confederates seceded they asked the Union troops to peacefully leave the forts in Southern lands - most of them did actually and had the garrison at Fort Sumter done so, 600,000+ dead could have been avoided - they did not just start attacking the Union without any point or reason. Also, there are plenty of people who believe that Sherman's destruction of civilian targets was a good thing and to those people, I say stop breathing. I used to have family in Georgia before Sherman's march. And I repeat myself, if you believe that the actions of Sherman were the right actions then I can not believe I breathe in the odorous filth with which you pollute the air. Sorry Mods but rainbow sparkles are good but just don't cut it.
The second half of your post makes zero sense. It's hard to argue with a fanatic so I'm just going to stop.

The Confederates were the aggressors by, you know, seceding in the first place. And no, it's not your constitutional right to rebel without the Union doing anything about it. Again, most people did not support the murder and destruction of the south, they supported the quelling of the rebellion and the preservation of the Union.

You know, given that they'd just fought a war for it, it's pretty damn hypocritical of the first 'Americans' to put together a government that prohibits secessio... wait... it didn't.

'You cannot leave this union, even if most people want to, or we'll burn down your homes, murder and rape your wives, and salt your bloody fields.'

And, are you really implying that if the south had won, the south's economy would not be in ruins? Both of our countries would be shitholes today, and neither side would be happy. I wouldn't be surprised if we would have been living under foreign rule by the end of world war one, or even before that.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt your message-exchange with the alternate timeline in which the Confederacy did win. Given that neither of us have experienced a Confederate victory in the war, I dare say we cannot judge what may have happened after.

Yes, it was hypocritical, but there's no way you can say that it was a realistic goal to make it so that people could revolt whenever they wanted and the Union couldn't do anything about it or they would be branded as tyrants. There have been hardly any instances in history where a revolt sprung up and the ruling state didn't do anything about it. It just goes against the nature of a state to let a whole half of a nation devolve into rebellion and lawlessness and just say "Durr, oh well the founding fathers said we should let them revolt, so I guess we'll just let them do whatever they want and bring both of our nations into the dust". And anyway, the confederacy hardly asked nicely. There had been decades of unofficial war in Slave and non-slave states (ie John Brown's war), so the time for negotiations was long gone.

Also, you keep conveniently breezing over my point about how most people did not support the harsh treatment of the south. Yes, the Union army did some fucked up things, but people do fucked up things in times of war, and there's nothing we can do about that. This is basically how defeated rebels have been treated in literally every single instance in history. Yes, it shouldn't have been like that, but there's nothing we can do about it now.

I know there's no way of knowing for sure what would have happened if the Confederacy had won, but I'm pretty certain that it would not have turned out well for both sides. Maybe we wouldn't be in the shitter, but we definitely wouldn't be as powerful as the 50 States of the Union are today.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 05:26:49 pm by Nipplestockings »

Offline TheBoberton

• Knight of Blueberry
  • Colonel
  • I don't want no pardon for anything I done
    • View Profile
    • Thomas' Steam Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 10, 2013, 05:47:08 pm »
Yes, it was hypocritical, but there's no way you can say that it was a realistic goal to make it so that people could revolt whenever they wanted and the Union couldn't do anything about it or they would be branded as tyrants. There have been hardly any instances in history where a revolt sprung up and the ruling state didn't do anything about it. It just goes against the nature of a state to let a whole half of a nation devolve into rebellion and lawlessness and just say "Durr, oh well the founding fathers said we should let them revolt, so I guess we'll just let them do whatever they want and bring both of our nations into the dust". And anyway, the confederacy hardly asked nicely. There had been decades of unofficial war in Slave and non-slave states (ie John Brown's war), so the time for negotiations was long gone.

A democratic secession can hardly be considered revolution, and since when have the actions of radicals dictated the actions of nations? ..Well, in any nation other than the US, because we cannot seem to think before we start killing people.

Also, you keep conveniently breezing over my point about how most people did not support the harsh treatment of the south. Yes, the Union army did some fucked up things, but people do fucked up things in times of war, and there's nothing we can do about that. This is basically how defeated rebels have been treated in literally every single instance in history. Yes, it shouldn't have been like that, but there's nothing we can do about it now.

Oh, they didn't support his actions, but they sure as Hell welcomed him home as a hero, and then Congress (Who, as you should know, represent the people) promoted him!

Of course, people are good at being hypocrites.

I know there's no way of knowing for sure what would have happened if the Confederacy had won, but I'm pretty certain that it would not have turned out well for both sides. Maybe we wouldn't be in the shitter, but we definitely wouldn't be as powerful as the 50 States of the Union are today.

That would likely be a good thing. Being powerful enough to pretend to be world-police is never beneficial.

The second half of Mongoose's post made perfect sense to me, so I dunno what issue you seem to be having with it.

Offline Pinball Wizard

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 10, 2013, 08:57:05 pm »
It's a human right if you ask me for a people to govern themselves. Seeing as nearly the entirety of Southerners wanted to secede I'd say that's basis enough to want to govern themselves. And when the Confederates seceded they asked the Union troops to peacefully leave the forts in Southern lands - most of them did actually and had the garrison at Fort Sumter done so, 600,000+ dead could have been avoided - they did not just start attacking the Union without any point or reason. Also, there are plenty of people who believe that Sherman's destruction of civilian targets was a good thing and to those people, I say stop breathing. I used to have family in Georgia before Sherman's march. And I repeat myself, if you believe that the actions of Sherman were the right actions then I can not believe I breathe in the odorous filth with which you pollute the air. Sorry Mods but rainbow sparkles are good but just don't cut it.
The second half of your post makes zero sense. It's hard to argue with a fanatic so I'm just going to stop.

Hes basically calling you out on how the southerners were the "aggressors". The Union weren't the "good guys", but they weren't the bad guys. But they fucking wrecked the south. Towns and cities in ruins. You can't praise the Union when you look at Sherman's march to the sea.

And you are saying that the Confederates had no right to break off from the Union, didn't our founding fathers did that when they felt oppressed from the British? Yeah. They did. And didn't Thomas Jefferson say “every generation needs a new revolution.” ?

Offline Friedrich

• Donator
  • 84e. Est. 2010. Official Non-Regiment Hopper.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Friedrich
  • Side: Union
« Reply #140 on: January 13, 2013, 07:43:28 pm »
Preserve the Union!

Fancy uniforms and some relatives of my ancestors emigrated to Pennsylvania and/or New York and I feel Convederacy is overhyped because of their military sucess in the first years of war, so I have to take the side of the Union!

Offline Caesar15

• Sergeant
  • For crown and country!
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #141 on: January 18, 2013, 03:24:12 am »

Yes, it works like that almost all the time for all other nations, that's where the concept of rebels come in, and civil war.

Offline Danik

• First Lieutenant
  • Better than Justin Bieber since 1960
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 19, 2013, 01:49:03 am »
Most confederate soldiers didn't own a single slave. The only reason the northern states was "against" slavery was because their economy wasn't dependent on slavery anymore. It's not like the average northerner liked blacks more than any others, actually the first lynching of blacks happened in northern states.

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 19, 2013, 06:03:59 am »
Most confederate soldiers didn't own a single slave. The only reason the northern states was "against" slavery was because their economy wasn't dependent on slavery anymore. It's not like the average northerner liked blacks more than any others, actually the first lynching of blacks happened in northern states.
\
Northers were, on average undeniably less racist than southerners. I know southerners in denial like to throw around irrelevant fringe facts desperately trying to support their arguments, but you're going to have to accept facts sometime.

Offline TORN

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: TORN
« Reply #144 on: January 25, 2013, 09:41:27 pm »
Well we can all speculate about the war being about slavery or independence.
But history is written by the victors.
mostly though

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 25, 2013, 10:00:32 pm »
Well we can all speculate about the war being about slavery or independence.
But history is written by the victors.
mostly though
If you haven't noticed, anti-northern sentiment is still pretty strong in the south, and they like to go out of their way to teach people what they think are the "right facts". Unlike many other wars, the the winners of the ACW didn't try to suppress the rebels utterly after they won, like, for instance the allies did after winning WW2.

So I'd say the notion of the winners writing history doesn't apply as much as it did in some other wars.

Offline Chosen1

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Chosen1
« Reply #146 on: January 25, 2013, 11:13:45 pm »
Weren't suppressed? The Yankees destroyed everything in their path, toppled the government, and then they occupied the South for months. I would say it was alot like what happened after WW2.
9-11 Coaster.

Find out what it's like to spin, glide, skim and fly like a giant airplane when you experience "United Airlines Flight 175"® – the only flying roller coaster of its kind in the world. Riders are taunted by a head-first, face-down inverted crash into the twin towers… and that's just the beginning. Experience the full force and power of riding down the twin towers, all on one of the deadliest tracks in the world.

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 25, 2013, 11:30:49 pm »
Weren't suppressed? The Yankees destroyed everything in their path, toppled the government, and then they occupied the South for months. I would say it was alot like what happened after WW2.
I'm not talking about that part of it, which I agree, is suppression. I'm talking about suppression of revolutionary passions and sentiments, which, as anyone can see should they happen to take a trip to the south, are still very much alive to this day.

Offline Odysseus

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 26, 2013, 11:26:05 pm »
Did the south start the war.

Yes.

Does this mean they were evil and destroyed the economy.

No.

Offline TORN

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: TORN
« Reply #149 on: January 27, 2013, 12:15:11 am »
Did the south start the war.

Yes.

Does this mean they were evil and destroyed the economy.

No.
In war each side is evil.