Poll

Union or Confederacy

Union
Confederacy
Neither
Great Britain! Subdue the rebellious Colony!

Author Topic: Union Or Confederacy?  (Read 77793 times)

Offline MaHuD

• Major
    • View Profile
    • Reveran
  • Nick: MaHuD
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Union Or Confederacy?
« Reply #105 on: December 17, 2012, 01:17:17 am »
Agriculture does seem more important than industry though. :P
Rather have food than a factory. Besides, factories can be build relatively fast.
[18:51] <Evanovic> Mahud can I nominate you for best villian 2013?

Offline Menelaos

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #106 on: December 17, 2012, 01:49:07 am »
All you confags are just hipsters. UNION WON U SUCK!
Basically.

Offline TheBoberton

• Knight of Blueberry
  • Colonel
  • I don't want no pardon for anything I done
    • View Profile
    • Thomas' Steam Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 17, 2012, 03:37:59 am »
Do you actually believe that if the CSA had become independent then everyone would have lived happily ever after? No, it would've been constant war for centuries. It would've been like the fucking Balkans. Even if the Union had conceded defeat for the time being, they definitely would've waited to build up strength, and then gone right for another try at unifying the country again.

Besides, the CSA never would've survived on their own. They had no major industry besides agriculture... and slaves. Go figure.

Other countries would let this happen?

Generally, a super-power doesn't take kindly to someone invading one of its trading partners.

Once the Confederacy gained independence, they'd have been taken under the wing of the European powers, simply because they'd provide cheap(er) supplies. If any wars were to be fought from then on, many of them would support the Confederates with more than just materiel shipments.

And to be clear, I support the Confederacy, because of my beliefs regarding a people's right to self determination, regardless of what reasons they have for it. Were they free from evils during this era? No. But nor was the Union. One simply has to look to what they view as the lesser of two evils.

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #108 on: December 17, 2012, 05:30:38 pm »
Agriculture does seem more important than industry though. :P
Rather have food than a factory. Besides, factories can be build relatively fast.
The Union had enough agriculture to support itself, along with the bulk of the factories accross the enitre Union and CSA. The CSA had a lot of agriculture, but close to no mechanized industry. A nation can't support itself in the industrialized era with no... industry.
Do you actually believe that if the CSA had become independent then everyone would have lived happily ever after? No, it would've been constant war for centuries. It would've been like the fucking Balkans. Even if the Union had conceded defeat for the time being, they definitely would've waited to build up strength, and then gone right for another try at unifying the country again.

Besides, the CSA never would've survived on their own. They had no major industry besides agriculture... and slaves. Go figure.

Other countries would let this happen?

Generally, a super-power doesn't take kindly to someone invading one of its trading partners.

Once the Confederacy gained independence, they'd have been taken under the wing of the European powers, simply because they'd provide cheap(er) supplies. If any wars were to be fought from then on, many of them would support the Confederates with more than just materiel shipments.

And to be clear, I support the Confederacy, because of my beliefs regarding a people's right to self determination, regardless of what reasons they have for it. Were they free from evils during this era? No. But nor was the Union. One simply has to look to what they view as the lesser of two evils.

Relations between the Union and Britain had been built up to basically friendly by this point in history. Maybe Britain would've supported the CSA after they had sucessfully gained independence, but they would not have stepped in during the war to aid the Confederacy. Virtually nothing good could have come out of a divided America, and neither country would be a world power that the USA is today. I'm thinking we'd both be something more like Mexico or any other Latin American ex-colony. That's what constant civil war does to you.

Offline MaHuD

• Major
    • View Profile
    • Reveran
« Reply #109 on: December 17, 2012, 05:36:53 pm »
Would be a proper place to invest in, I think it would have gone allright.

Offline Menelaos

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 17, 2012, 07:10:27 pm »
The only reason Britain stepped in was to profit from the war, they stopped trading with them because the British public was morally against using cotton produced by slave labor..

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 17, 2012, 08:05:56 pm »
Would be a proper place to invest in, I think it would have gone allright.
Yes, I know agriculture is important, but you can't rely on that alone to run a country. The Union had plentiful Agriculture and Industry, while the south only have agriculture.

Offline MaHuD

• Major
    • View Profile
    • Reveran
« Reply #112 on: December 17, 2012, 10:57:54 pm »
Invest in Industry, incase I wasn't clear. Pretty sure that with slave labor and all it could be done pretty cheap.
Just invite a few european investers...

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 18, 2012, 12:19:09 am »
On the subject of the topic.

Confederacy, I have a genuin interest and effection for the 33rd Virginia. However I have little interest for the rest of the Confederacy. One thing that is putting me of is it seems more regiments are being made for the CSa than the union. I would rather be on the side with less regiments. However we will see seeing that its a lon ways out.
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Menelaos

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 18, 2012, 12:23:27 am »
Reverse hipster mentality, just a few more Europeans are interested in CSA still means that 33rd will always be with the pubs against the 2nd Division every Sunday. Keep the originallity, you're in the stonewall brigade!

Offline Chaz

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 21, 2012, 07:17:11 am »
Street-smart people know: Confederates fought for the same thing America fought for in the 1770s.

Book jockeys know: C0nfederates f0ught 4 sl2very, whiuch is bauded.

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 22, 2012, 03:50:50 am »
Street-smart people know: Confederates fought for the same thing America fought for in the 1770s.

Book jockeys know: C0nfederates f0ught 4 sl2very, whiuch is bauded.

Right, too bad the 1776 revolution was unwarranted and the revolutionaries were mainly made up of starry-eyed children who were excited to kill things, and who bought into fear-mongering and bandwagoning. Oh right, just like the Civil War. I agree.

Offline High Inquisitor Spiderman

• Private
  • Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 22, 2012, 02:57:05 pm »
Depends where I would have lived.

In-game at the moment I prefer the Union since they have more drum songs in North & South  ::).

In real life, if I had lived in the south I would have fought for the Confederates, since I think it was quite a defensive war for them and they were being taxed quite heavily.

If I had lived in the north, it's most likely I wouldn't have fought at all unless I was a slave rights activist or a fanatic patriot back then.

Offline Jacob

• Alpha Tester
  • Back after a long long time away :)
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Jacob
« Reply #118 on: December 24, 2012, 01:14:26 pm »
Spoken like a true gent ^

Offline TheGreatSnoop

• Private
  • Give me some chon chon! >:O