Author Topic: The General Political Thread  (Read 529321 times)

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: The General Political Thread
« Reply #4860 on: February 01, 2019, 02:23:35 pm »
You will have alienated a major economy on your doorstep

Yeah, and it will definitly hurt us. But I fail to see how, logically, the UK will be hurt comparatively less. You're not just gonna WTO trade with us, but also with the rest of the world. How will it be bad for us, but not for you?

If the populist/nationalist parties pooled their MEPs then they'd currently be the the 3rd biggest in the EU "Parliament".

Yeah. But they don't.

What a shame it would be if a literal neo-Nazi from Eastern Europe became President of the EU Commission in 2024

Now you're just writing a fan-fiction.

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #4861 on: February 01, 2019, 03:26:49 pm »
You will have alienated a major economy on your doorstep

Yeah, and it will definitly hurt us. But I fail to see how, logically, the UK will be hurt comparatively less. You're not just gonna WTO trade with us, but also with the rest of the world. How will it be bad for us, but not for you?

Existing deals with countries outside the EU are already being what's called 'grandfathered', i.e arrangements rolled over as far as possible. It'll also be very easy for the UK to trade access to its markets for agricultural products in return for services (etc), which is something the EU struggles to do due to French objections.

It will hurt the UK, but the damage will mostly be sector specific. In the medium to long term EU exports to the UK (your largest market) will become increasingly uncompetitive assuming the UK goes down the path of trade liberalisation. The flip-side of that is prices in the UK, both for consumer goods and inputs for industry, will on average decrease. You'll also see onshoring as UK firms pull back operations from EU27 to Britain. UK tech industry, the biggest in Europe, will also benefit from escaping particularly burdensome EU regulation (for some reason Brussels has a death wish when it comes to digital technology).

You also have to recognise that the UK economy is c.80% services. It's easy to continue servicing EU customers in the event of a 'no deal' because all you need is to open a 'brass plate company' and employ a handful of people there, or some kind of 'eResidency' scheme. By contrast these options aren't available to German heavy industry.

Offline Von Bergen

• Best Kindergarten Teacher EU West
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
    • 23rd Ts
  • Nick: Jay Mc Lovin
  • Side: Union
« Reply #4862 on: February 01, 2019, 03:51:38 pm »
GB be like:
Leaving one of the biggest domestic Market because of National pride - Maybe worth it (tbh none of us pseudo economists here knows whats gonna happen)
Embarassing your Country in Front of the World and your own People because you act like a Child that does not know
What it wants  - priceless

"Ooooooooorder!"

Offline Ry@n

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • 18th_Col
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Nick:Nick:Nick:Nick:
« Reply #4863 on: February 01, 2019, 03:58:19 pm »
was half way through typing something rather intelligent and then decided against it after reading some of the more... interesting opinions on this thread; All i can say is hard brexit and and get them out my country. quicker we get the papers signed the better. Bring in our saviour!!!!!!

Offline Von Bergen

• Best Kindergarten Teacher EU West
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
    • 23rd Ts
  • Nick: Jay Mc Lovin
« Reply #4864 on: February 01, 2019, 04:10:09 pm »
 ???

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #4865 on: February 01, 2019, 04:13:21 pm »
Do British people have a specific preference in which outside group to blame for their problems, or is it entirely context-dependent?

Offline HaroldW

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4866 on: February 01, 2019, 06:20:58 pm »
ITT:
Corporate lawyer baits unemployed social science students into having an absolute meltdown attempting to defend the hilarious and total failure that is the European integration project.

Offline Sgt.Winters

• Captain
  • Wut
    • View Profile
  • Nick: look at me
« Reply #4867 on: February 01, 2019, 06:37:48 pm »
ITT:
Corporate lawyer baits unemployed social science students into having an absolute meltdown attempting to defend the hilarious and total failure that is the European integration project.

I don't think keeping Europeans from endlessly killing each other through famine and war and the freedom of movement would necessarily classify it as a total failure broseph.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #4868 on: February 01, 2019, 06:40:09 pm »
I'm also not unemployed, but I appreciate the concern for my financial and mental well-being.

Offline Big Pete

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #4869 on: February 01, 2019, 07:00:26 pm »
social 'science' hmmm

Offline HaroldW

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4870 on: February 01, 2019, 07:06:53 pm »
social 'science' hmmm

Spoiler
[close]

Anyway, good work Steven, you've done your country proud. Now report back to base and prepare for your next assignment: the TaleWorlds forum.

Offline Sgt.Winters

• Captain
  • Wut
    • View Profile
  • Nick: look at me
« Reply #4871 on: February 01, 2019, 07:09:09 pm »
I entirely forgot that I'm a fat American who eats Burger King and sips on Icee all day while waiting for the next Avengers movie, my b dog I'll go back to NW and leave y'all to it.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
« Reply #4872 on: February 01, 2019, 07:57:38 pm »
I got raped by a refugee yesterday.

Offline MrTiki

• Former Moderator
  • Senior Madmin EU
    • View Profile
  • Nick: MrTiki
« Reply #4873 on: February 01, 2019, 08:31:36 pm »
Existing deals with countries outside the EU are already being what's called 'grandfathered', i.e arrangements rolled over as far as possible. It'll also be very easy for the UK to trade access to its markets for agricultural products in return for services (etc), which is something the EU struggles to do due to French objections.

It will hurt the UK, but the damage will mostly be sector specific. In the medium to long term EU exports to the UK (your largest market) will become increasingly uncompetitive assuming the UK goes down the path of trade liberalisation. The flip-side of that is prices in the UK, both for consumer goods and inputs for industry, will on average decrease. You'll also see onshoring as UK firms pull back operations from EU27 to Britain. UK tech industry, the biggest in Europe, will also benefit from escaping particularly burdensome EU regulation (for some reason Brussels has a death wish when it comes to digital technology).

Actually a lot of the grandfathered deals will still be messed up and need renegotiating, as for example things which are made "in the EU" no longer includes the UK, so various products will no longer be under FTA as I understand it. There's also lots of altering of very minor text, but when you consider that the EU-ROK deal is over 1400 pages on it's own, it adds up. Not to mention ROK now see the UK as an equal in size, compared to negotiating with the EU, US etc and want more concessions.
I'm sure it'll all get sorted out, but many trade deals are not actually ready for B-Day yet.

Idk where you're getting this whole thing about onshoring from, as the trend so far seems very firmly the other way around. I'm curious as to what length of time you believe medium to long term to mean, roughly speaking.

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #4874 on: February 01, 2019, 08:36:03 pm »
To be clear, I just enjoy coming on here to debate political stuff while we all wait for BCoF. Nothing personal to me, I'm just very bored at work. Even though I put out some 'Holland' bait from time to time this thread wouldn't be as interesting without the Dutch contributions.

ITT:

I don't think keeping Europeans from endlessly killing each other through famine and war and the freedom of movement would necessarily classify it as a total failure broseph.

*NATO. EU fucked up in Yugoslavia and Ukraine.