Author Topic: The General Political Thread  (Read 530262 times)

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile

Offline McPero

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • 17e 5-4 92nd
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: The General Political Thread - Brexit poll (#FSEXIT)
« Reply #3677 on: May 27, 2018, 10:46:37 pm »
More of this please (and less of this: https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/oct/18/theresa-may-plans-to-let-people-change-gender-without-medical-checks)

Can't wait to visit gynecologist, to check my vagina, because my clitoris is really huge it is like a cellular organ and my lips are like two giant balls.

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3678 on: May 27, 2018, 11:11:59 pm »
More of this please (and less of this: https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/oct/18/theresa-may-plans-to-let-people-change-gender-without-medical-checks)

What on Earth do you mean, Steven! These are the issues that should be atop the agenda of any conservative government!

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3679 on: May 29, 2018, 10:19:28 pm »
Has the EU ever been closer to death? Lol

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3680 on: May 29, 2018, 11:52:06 pm »
Has the EU ever been closer to death? Lol

It has a while to go yet, but in current form it's not going to last...wouldn't be the first time the Italians brought down a German empire either (Otto III, Frederick II).

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #3681 on: May 30, 2018, 01:16:46 am »
In what universe do you people live?

Offline Theodin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 71st Guard MEME POLICE
« Reply #3682 on: May 30, 2018, 02:14:24 am »
-Carl Sagan, probably

1x NA Duel- Runner up |  3x 3v3- 3rd place (Seadderol Deflatriots) (Ez Money) (71st Guards + Russian) | 1x Duel League- 4th place | 1x Regimental Groupfighting- 1st place (71st)  l  1x 2v2- 3rd Place (Vortex/Theodin) | TNWL Season 2 - 1st Place l 1x 2v2- 1st Place (Theodin/Elite) l 2x NANWL-
 71st, Nr8(LG) l 1x 4v4- 1st Place (RussianFury, Waste, NickCole, Theodin) l 1x Cav Joust- 2nd Place l 1x 4v4-
 3rd Place (Theodin, AsianP, Sleek, Godfried, Lurvy) l 1x 5v5 - 1st Place (RussianFury, Yoshie, Krastinov, Jorge, Theodin - Thanos and his children)

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3683 on: May 30, 2018, 07:52:49 pm »

The universe where one of the EU 'big four' are leaving, another is on a collision course with Brussels, and the other two have weak and unpopular leaders. Eastern Europe is in revolt, the White House is no longer a friend to Brussels but in fact an opponent (there's even a good chance of a trade war), while terrorism and economic instability still wreck the Continent. Euroscepticism has never been a more powerful force.

What universe are you living in Duuring?

Offline McPero

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • 17e 5-4 92nd
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 10:22:47 pm by McPero »

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3685 on: May 31, 2018, 08:59:40 am »

The universe where one of the EU 'big four' are leaving, another is on a collision course with Brussels, and the other two have weak and unpopular leaders. Eastern Europe is in revolt, the White House is no longer a friend to Brussels but in fact an opponent (there's even a good chance of a trade war), while terrorism and economic instability still wreck the Continent. Euroscepticism has never been a more powerful force.

What universe are you living in Duuring?

If the EU ever falls apart it would be terrible for everyone involved, not sure why you're so happy about it.
Europe would more than likely not be able to keep it's economic dominance, we'd be more divided again nationalism have already been rising and we know where that's been leading in the past.

The EU have issues no doubt about it but we're way better of with it than without it.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #3686 on: May 31, 2018, 10:23:00 am »
I wonder what it must be like, becoming excited at every event and political crisis and being sure that this time, it surely will signal the end of the EU. Wasn't the French election supposed to that? Or the German? Or the Dutch? Or the Austrian? Or the Italian? Because there isn't a crisis because Italy wants to leave the EU, or even wants to leave the Euro, but because one party wants a minister that considers leaving the Eurozone an option.

'Eastern Europe is in revolt'. I literally had the Polish deputy Ambassador to the Netherlands tell me a week ago Poland loves her European identity, will never leave the EU and just wants more power to the memberstates. Also the EU shouldn't do more, but should do more in Defence and border control (without doing more, got it?).

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3687 on: May 31, 2018, 03:02:57 pm »
My position has always been that the EU will die slowly, and by a thousand cuts. It's a process not an event. From migration to the Iran deal Poland ain't exactly showing much EU solidarity is it? 'Just wants more power to the member states'? You say that in such a sanguine way given the words 'ever closer union' are deeply embedded in the EU treaties. If Eastern Europe is not in fact in revolt then please explain to me why the Commission is trying to punishing them by proposing cuts of c25% in their EU funds?
https://euobserver.com/economic/141933

I'd prefer a world without the EU. It's a crap plan from the 1920s that was opportunistically implemented post-1945, and mainly built around the idea that democracy needed to be constrained by an element of technocracy. European economic integration can easily be replaced by UNECE (which is already happening anyway, part of my job is guessing which UNECE standards will be converted into EU regulation) while those countries that want to integrate politically with Berlin can still be free to do so.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #3688 on: May 31, 2018, 03:34:53 pm »
So when is the EU dead?

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3689 on: May 31, 2018, 03:45:26 pm »
Depends on what you think 'death' looks like.