Author Topic: The General Political Thread  (Read 530315 times)

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
  • Ex 77y Pfc, 93rd Private and 18e Grenadier
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: The General Political Thread - Brexit poll (#FSEXIT)
« Reply #3645 on: May 26, 2018, 07:53:17 pm »
Let's get some perspective. If you live in an urban area, especially a major city like London/New York/Paris/etc, then second hand tobacco smoke is the least of your concerns regarding what your children are inhaling. Most towns and cities around the globe, including in the West, have pollution levels far above international standards that are considered safe. Me and my wife are well aware of this. It's safer for my children to be around smokers 24/7 and live in the countryside than it is for them to live in a city with non-smoking parents.
Yes and it would be even safer if you kept them away from smokers as well.

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #3646 on: May 26, 2018, 08:01:28 pm »
Let's get some perspective. If you live in an urban area, especially a major city like London/New York/Paris/etc, then second hand tobacco smoke is the least of your concerns regarding what your children are inhaling. Most towns and cities around the globe, including in the West, have pollution levels far above international standards that are considered safe. Me and my wife are well aware of this. It's safer for my children to be around smokers 24/7 and live in the countryside than it is for them to live in a city with non-smoking parents.

They are kept away 99% of the time, but it is irrational to be especially concerned about it given other environmental dangers.

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3647 on: May 26, 2018, 08:06:22 pm »

They are kept away 99% of the time, but it is irrational to be especially concerned about it given other environmental dangers.
It’s not irrational at all. I’m more likely to die in a car crash than a shark attack but it doesn’t mean I’m gonna go and sucker punch a great white.

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3648 on: May 26, 2018, 08:33:54 pm »
Oh well, it's not all bad news. At least there'll most likely be less Irish people now :)

~Posh~

« Reply #3649 on: May 26, 2018, 09:38:53 pm »
It’s not irrational at all. I’m more likely to die in a car crash than a shark attack but it doesn’t mean I’m gonna go and sucker punch a great white.

at least you could try

Offline DaMonkey

• King of FSE
    • View Profile
  • Nick: King DaMonkey I
« Reply #3650 on: May 26, 2018, 10:22:19 pm »
when some sperg posting on a forum for a terrible, dead game tells you not to further your genealogical line because you wouldn't mollycoddle your child every waking moment of their existence
[close]
Did you know that if you use 100% of your brain, you get godlike powers? true story.
Did you know that if you use 10% of received donations, you can release BCoF by now. true story

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3651 on: May 26, 2018, 10:35:24 pm »
when some sperg posting on a forum for a terrible, dead game tells you not to further your genealogical line because you wouldn't mollycoddle your child every waking moment of their existence
[close]
When you use an incredibly outdated meme to defend smoking around children. I'm sure you wouldn't want your kiddo being in a car filled with cigarette smoke would you? Ya know, since it causes cancer.

Offline McPero

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • 17e 5-4 92nd
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #3652 on: May 26, 2018, 11:03:41 pm »
Just let your kids inhale exaust gases from car if you live in a city. Good air,also removes particles.

Second hand smoking is bad, some say its worse than active. #remofCigarettes

Thinking abortion is a murder is a bit weird considering your body kills millions of similar life forms everyday.

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #3653 on: May 26, 2018, 11:26:53 pm »
That's why I cry everytime I jerk off.

Offline DaMonkey

• King of FSE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3654 on: May 26, 2018, 11:42:40 pm »
[close]
When you use an incredibly outdated meme to defend smoking around children. I'm sure you wouldn't want your kiddo being in a car filled with cigarette smoke would you? Ya know, since it causes cancer.

Yes, it's not good. Your response telling him he would make a terrible father was to him saying he wouldn't freak out of it occurred on rare occasions. For instance, I wouldn't allow smoking in my house (we'll ignore that it ruins the value of your home) because of the heavy health impacts - but that doesn't mean I wouldn't allow my children to visit their extended kin on Christmas who do smoke. The reason your comment was so silly is because it was a drastic extreme to an exceptionally reserved behavior.
Did you know that if you use 100% of your brain, you get godlike powers? true story.
Did you know that if you use 10% of received donations, you can release BCoF by now. true story

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3655 on: May 26, 2018, 11:50:15 pm »
Well I’m sorry to break it to you, but allowing your kids to be in the same room as somebody smoking increases their risk of cancer.

Offline DaMonkey

• King of FSE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3656 on: May 27, 2018, 12:02:43 am »
What an emphatic revelation.

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3657 on: May 27, 2018, 12:23:04 am »
What an emphatic revelation.
Well if it’s so clear to you then why are you getting involved? If he’s okay with people smoking around his kids then it obviously isn’t good for them.

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3658 on: May 27, 2018, 12:54:32 am »
Well I’m sorry to break it to you, but allowing your kids to be in the same room as somebody smoking increases their risk of cancer.

As I've pointed out to you, using scientific evidence, it probably doesn't. Even studies that suggest it does increase the risk mostly state that a) it's only in the case of long-term exposure, and b) it's in their view a slight risk factor anyway that's far outweighed by urban pollution

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3659 on: May 27, 2018, 01:01:30 am »

As I've pointed out to you, using scientific evidence, it probably doesn't. Even studies that suggest it does increase the risk mostly state that a) it's only in the case of long-term exposure, and b) it's in their view a slight risk factor anyway that's far outweighed by urban pollution
And as I said to you, there are many studies and prominent institutions that disagree with you. Also, of course it’s not short term. You don’t just get cancer with a click of the fingers. Same with actual smokers. But that doesn’t make it healthy, does it?