Author Topic: The General Political Thread  (Read 529424 times)

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
  • Ex 77y Pfc, 93rd Private and 18e Grenadier
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: The General Political Thread - Brexit poll (#FSEXIT)
« Reply #2805 on: April 05, 2018, 11:21:46 pm »
Whilst we’re talking about the UK it should be noted that firearm laws were changed after the massacre.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #2806 on: April 05, 2018, 11:42:04 pm »
If I'm not mistaken, rifle rounds are more deadly due to their increased velocity and the speed they're fired at. They do more damage to the human body.

1. A victim hit by a rifle shot will have more damage done to his or her body then if the victim were hit by a 'smaller' pistol round. I think we can all agree on that.

2. Rifles have a longer effective range, meaning a shooter can start firing at a longer distance. Though I admit that training and the ability to stabilize the gun also effects this.

3. Bigger cartridges, faster rate of fire. The fact that a shooter can put more lead in the air with a rifle then with a handgun in the same amount of time without reloading, makes it more likely that that shooter will hit more people. That's just math.

Of course, argument 2 doesn't stand if victims are all killed on the short range, and there are certain disadvantages to a rifle that a pistol doesn't have. Still, I think that the fact that rifles are simply more deadly then pistols due to bullet velocity is what makes all the difference in this case. I'm no gun expert, so feel free to rip holes in my argument.

Offline BabyJesus

• General
  • #1 Cringe poster and lover of Anna Kendrick
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Most Average MVP of All Time
« Reply #2807 on: April 06, 2018, 12:05:00 am »
i thought it was obvious that rifles were more deadly han handguns. like havent any of you played cod?
1st NWPC S2(21st)|(1st) 5v5 Draft~NA GroupFighting Tournament  |1st♕Rex's 6v6 Tournament | 1st TNWL S2(71st) | 1st NWL S5 (58e) | 3rd place Sleeks 5v5 (Highschoole DxD)
You are by far the best average player to touch this game.
Quote from: Risk
The BEST average player of all time

Offline DaMonkey

• King of FSE
    • View Profile
  • Nick: King DaMonkey I
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #2808 on: April 06, 2018, 12:05:39 am »
If I'm not mistaken, rifle rounds are more deadly due to their increased velocity and the speed they're fired at. They do more damage to the human body.

1. A victim hit by a rifle shot will have more damage done to his or her body then if the victim were hit by a 'smaller' pistol round. I think we can all agree on that.

Actual "stopping power" relies on so many variables, I'm not so sure it's a safe bet to make the assertion. Higher velocity only means more "damage" if the projectile fired is the same (or greater) mass, which isn't the case with many (particularly muh salt rifle) longarm cartridges. You have to keep in mind the formula of "Mass * Acceleration = Force".

As an example, a powerful 5.56x45mm round may have projectiles of 4.1 grams (or 63 grains) whereas 9x19mm (common handgun cartridge) can have projectiles of up to ~8 grams (~124 grains).

The reasoning behind these differences is quite obvious. Rifle cartridges are designed for accurate fire at distance, and heaver/larger projectiles hamper this. Firearms designed for close-in shooting can afford to focus mostly on raw stopping power.

3. Bigger cartridges, faster rate of fire.

Rate of fire is very similar across the board, since this term is purely describing the time it takes to chamber another round after firing a round. I know what you're getting at though, larger magazines do require reloads less - but that's something else entirely separate from the term "rate of fire".

Edit It should also be noted that "stopping power" has a ton of other factors, too, which make it really hard to determine power of cartridges. For instance, a lot of handgun cartridges are designed specifically for self defense purposes and thus are designed to expand and transfer as much of its energy to the target as possible; by contrast, a lot of 'salt rifle' cartridges are designed from a military perspective which are designed with other principal purposes in mind (like piercing armor).
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 12:26:28 am by DaMonkey »
Did you know that if you use 100% of your brain, you get godlike powers? true story.
Did you know that if you use 10% of received donations, you can release BCoF by now. true story

Offline Kore

• The Sideblock King
  • Major General
  • Best Czech player on the Moon. uaa
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Oubliette*******
« Reply #2809 on: April 06, 2018, 03:30:18 am »
^ this.

To make it simple, a shot from a handgun hurts more.
One of the best side blockers in the game. Often reffered as 'the Sideblock King'.

Suns

« Reply #2810 on: April 06, 2018, 07:24:48 am »
Maybe not. But it makes it harder than selling them freely.

lol, arguably the laws stopped her from using an AR-15 theoretically which in turn could have possibly led to more damage, but if she chose to use an AR-15 she would have likely been caught prior to entrance

gang sets in the US have AKs, gun laws don't make it harder to sell on the black market nonetheless

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2811 on: April 06, 2018, 09:41:40 am »
Wouldn’t it be nice if we lived in a world where America wasn’t obsessed with guns

Suns

« Reply #2812 on: April 06, 2018, 09:57:02 am »
well considering we're the global policeman no

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: April 06, 2018, 10:46:30 am »
well considering we're the global policeman no

Not sure that'll be the case for much longer tbh

Offline Fwuffy

• Amazing human being who deserves this title fully
  • General
  • Statue Gaming™
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Toupie
« Reply #2814 on: April 06, 2018, 10:54:21 am »
you guys are basic

Offline Piercee

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • SOUTH AFRICAN WAR DOG - NWWC 2019 WINNER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: April 06, 2018, 02:49:10 pm »
Just give every civilian nukes already

Offline Conway

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 41stNY_Whatever_Conway
« Reply #2816 on: April 06, 2018, 06:23:31 pm »
If the second amendment gives you rights to it, why not?

Offline Sgt.Winters

• Captain
  • Wut
    • View Profile
  • Nick: look at me
« Reply #2817 on: April 06, 2018, 07:39:20 pm »
If the second amendment gives you rights to it, why not?
I'll make sure to use it the next time some poor black chap gets killed so his fellow compatriots can't rob my local Nike store.

Offline Prince_Eugen

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 19th_Fus_Prince_Eugen
« Reply #2818 on: April 09, 2018, 04:56:15 pm »
What do you think on the latest events in Syria? Would it grow into the new confrontaion in the region? Or status-quo remains?

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: April 09, 2018, 05:01:06 pm »
What do you think on the latest events in Syria? Would it grow into the new confrontaion in the region? Or status-quo remains?
It’s happened before. Insults will be thrown, threats will be made but nothing will change.