Author Topic: The General Political Thread  (Read 529465 times)

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: The General Political Thread - Brexit poll (#FSEXIT)
« Reply #2655 on: March 11, 2018, 12:34:55 am »
The refined version of Daraprim wasn't officially named at the time I read about it. Once/if Turing Pharma's website returns, there should be more details there.

I assume since you're using it to say it's okay that he hiked the price 5000% that it was available to every single person who took the pill immediately after the price was hiked?

The original drug is available to those infected with toxoplasmosis through their insurance, and the infected who are uninsured (and meet the eligibility criteria) are provided the drug at no "out-of-pocket cost" through Daraprim’s patient assistance program. I feel it's worth mentioning that many people die even after being prescribed daraprim. It's not a good drug, simply put.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 12:38:47 am by Gordo »

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
  • Ex 77y Pfc, 93rd Private and 18e Grenadier
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #2656 on: March 11, 2018, 12:41:22 am »
So is the drug in full commercial sale then?

And what are the eligibility requirements because I couldn't find the specifics

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: March 11, 2018, 12:52:13 am »
So is the drug in full commercial sale then?

Not the new drug. Commercial insurance companies are paying the full price for Daraprim (according to Turing Pharma).

And what are the eligibility requirements because I couldn't find the specifics

Although eligibility differs from program to program, they all have three specific criteria in common.

Income: To qualify for any patient assistance program, your total household income must be less than 200% of the Federal Poverty Level.

Prescription Coverage: Prescription assistance programs require that you do not currently subscribe to private or public sources of prescription coverage.

Residence: You must be a United States resident or citizen to be eligible for any of these programs.

If you want to know the eligibility requirements for Daraprim's program, read them in detail here:
https://www.patientassistance.com/profile/glaxosmithkline-168/

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: March 11, 2018, 12:57:51 am »
The thing is. Going off those requirements. Let's say I'm a single man living by myself who earns $30,000 dollars per year. I also am uninsured. $750 dollars per tablet is not something I'm going to be able to pay. So what can I do?

And if insurance companies have to pay more for the drug, then surely that cost then falls back more onto the consumer.

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: March 11, 2018, 01:13:13 am »
The thing is. Going off those requirements. Let's say I'm a single man living by myself who earns $30,000 dollars per year. I also am uninsured. $750 dollars per tablet is not something I'm going to be able to pay. So what can I do?

And if insurance companies have to pay more for the drug, then surely that cost then falls back more onto the consumer.

That's a pretty unrealistic scenario for starters, given that anyone dying from toxoplasmosis certainly won't be able to work and will most likely become unemployed, thus falling within the eligibility requirements for receiving the drug for free.

Turing's own pricing program includes reductions of up to 50% of Daraprim's list price to hospitals (directly to physicians and their patients).

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: March 11, 2018, 01:14:56 am »
So how about if I was married and my wife also earned 30k? I became unemployed leaving us both to live on her income without insurance?

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: March 11, 2018, 01:27:24 am »
Then you would list your family size as "2" and apply for the GlaxoSmithKline Bridges to Access program which provides Daraprim, since a household income of $30k falls within the eligibility requirements of having an income less than or equal to 250% of the Federal Poverty Guideline for that family size.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 01:29:17 am by Gordo »

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: March 11, 2018, 01:33:52 am »
And if she earned 40k?

Offline Theodin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 71st Guard MEME POLICE
« Reply #2663 on: March 11, 2018, 02:12:23 am »
You wanna do my taxes Gordo?

1x NA Duel- Runner up |  3x 3v3- 3rd place (Seadderol Deflatriots) (Ez Money) (71st Guards + Russian) | 1x Duel League- 4th place | 1x Regimental Groupfighting- 1st place (71st)  l  1x 2v2- 3rd Place (Vortex/Theodin) | TNWL Season 2 - 1st Place l 1x 2v2- 1st Place (Theodin/Elite) l 2x NANWL-
 71st, Nr8(LG) l 1x 4v4- 1st Place (RussianFury, Waste, NickCole, Theodin) l 1x Cav Joust- 2nd Place l 1x 4v4-
 3rd Place (Theodin, AsianP, Sleek, Godfried, Lurvy) l 1x 5v5 - 1st Place (RussianFury, Yoshie, Krastinov, Jorge, Theodin - Thanos and his children)

Offline Conway

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 41stNY_Whatever_Conway
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #2664 on: March 11, 2018, 03:13:46 am »
https://globalnews.ca/news/4058984/justin-trudeau-india-trip-ipsos-poll/

Also Doug Ford supposedly won the Ontario PC race looooooooooooool

Offline Theodin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: March 11, 2018, 03:34:05 am »

Hopefully not. Who's ready for a fourth straight PC loss?? Doug Ford cannot win Ontario

1x NA Duel- Runner up |  3x 3v3- 3rd place (Seadderol Deflatriots) (Ez Money) (71st Guards + Russian) | 1x Duel League- 4th place | 1x Regimental Groupfighting- 1st place (71st)  l  1x 2v2- 3rd Place (Vortex/Theodin) | TNWL Season 2 - 1st Place l 1x 2v2- 1st Place (Theodin/Elite) l 2x NANWL-
 71st, Nr8(LG) l 1x 4v4- 1st Place (RussianFury, Waste, NickCole, Theodin) l 1x Cav Joust- 2nd Place l 1x 4v4-
 3rd Place (Theodin, AsianP, Sleek, Godfried, Lurvy) l 1x 5v5 - 1st Place (RussianFury, Yoshie, Krastinov, Jorge, Theodin - Thanos and his children)

Offline MrTiki

• Former Moderator
  • Senior Madmin EU
    • View Profile
  • Nick: MrTiki
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #2666 on: March 11, 2018, 12:38:30 pm »
Daraprim is a drug which SHOULD be available generically in the US but isn't (because it's ancient). He artificially limited the availability of it as part of the deal buying it then price gouged. Not illegal, but he's a cunt for it.
It was developed by a company bought by GSK, then the rights sold to a different company before Turing bought it. In other countries it's available for under $1 per pill (compared to $750 per pill).

Where did you get all that about Turing having done extra development on it? It sounds like you copy pasted it straight from their website and believe all their marketing bollocks. "No side effects" is a flat out lie.
Having gone through their website (Vyera Pharmaceuticals) to their page on Daraprim (http://daraprimdirect.com), it states that the side effects still include neutropaenia, arrhythmias, teratogenicity etc and the BNF also lists them. You clearly have no idea what the fuck you're on about.
There is not a single drug on the face of the planet which does not have side effects (yes, even oxygen).

Offline junedragon

• Colonel
  • Nr2, 29th, PLG, 63e, Team Canada, 4eme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: March 11, 2018, 05:26:49 pm »

Hopefully not. Who's ready for a fourth straight PC loss?? Doug Ford cannot win Ontario

And i like thousands of others never received my PIN to vote. Party is a shitshow.

On the bright side the last polls still have the PC at an absurd 50% and even with Doug ford at leader maintained a huge margin (wynne vs ford, wynne vs elliott, etc.)
Why am I still here

Offline Theodin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: March 11, 2018, 05:40:09 pm »

And i like thousands of others never received my PIN to vote. Party is a shitshow.

On the bright side the last polls still have the PC at an absurd 50% and even with Doug ford at leader maintained a huge margin (wynne vs ford, wynne vs elliott, etc.)
I’m calling a Wynne minority

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: March 11, 2018, 08:01:04 pm »

I’m calling a Wynne minority

Ontario is probably the most postmodern province of the world's most postmodern country. God help you if Wynne stays in power.