Author Topic: The General Political Thread  (Read 529511 times)

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
  • Ex 77y Pfc, 93rd Private and 18e Grenadier
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: The General Political Thread - Brexit poll (#FSEXIT)
« Reply #2640 on: March 07, 2018, 02:14:48 pm »
I mean look at Weimar Germany. It works okay!?!?!?

Offline William

• Major General
  • What doth life?
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel where I upload NW and M&B
  • Nick: CluelessWill
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #2641 on: March 07, 2018, 09:10:08 pm »
Interested to see what people think about South Africa on this forum? Especially European's opinions but in general.
If you change whites to Jews and Africans to Germans you start to get some serious parallels, especially in the 'confiscating their land and wealth' to give to native Africans.

It's just disappointing to see.
Check out my YT channel where I post NW www.youtube. com/c/CluelessWill
Spoiler
god damn, Anthony is smart, he was able to get the shit AEF to tie with the best reg in the game. The tactical geniusness needed to pull off such a feat is insane. He's the Erwin Rommel of NW.
i always get an erection when i check my subscrptions and see that phresh cluelesswill vid
It won't be FSE developing it, so it will come out!
[close]

Offline junedragon

• Colonel
  • Nr2, 29th, PLG, 63e, Team Canada, 4eme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: March 09, 2018, 07:36:01 am »
Interested to see what people think about South Africa on this forum? Especially European's opinions but in general.
If you change whites to Jews and Africans to Germans you start to get some serious parallels, especially in the 'confiscating their land and wealth' to give to native Africans.

It's just disappointing to see.

Yeah but nazis were racist so this comparison doesnt work because its 2018, only white cis males can be racist.
Why am I still here

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #2643 on: March 10, 2018, 06:08:18 pm »

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: March 10, 2018, 07:42:04 pm »
Why is that disappointing?

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: March 10, 2018, 10:04:21 pm »
Shkreli broke the law by concealing his funds' losses early on, yes, but those funds eventually turned profitable (with some of his investors even admitting on the witness stand of his trial that partnering with Shkreli was a great investment).

This sentence was made in the name of politics, not justice. Seven years for securities fraud that didn't even cost his investors any money in the long run? Seems legit.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 10:07:56 pm by Gordo »

Offline Theodin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 71st Guard MEME POLICE
« Reply #2646 on: March 10, 2018, 10:09:05 pm »
Shkreli broke the law by concealing his funds' losses early on, yes, but those funds eventually turned profitable (with some of his investors even admitting on the witness stand of his trial that partnering with Shkreli was a great investment).

This sentence was made in the name of politics, not justice. Seven years for a crime that didn't even cost his investors any money in the long run? Seems legit.
Crime is never about the outcome. The ends don't justify the means, otherwise totalitarian systems would be legal. Western society takes issue in how the gains are gotten, not if they're gotten.

I like Shkreli, I think he's a genius who's got some mental issues and can be a force for good, but I don't think the sentence was totally unfair, especially since the prosecutors argued for the max. As long as he's sentenced into the type of prison he belongs to be in, I think that's fair enough. He'll be fine, and I bet you when he gets released for good behaviour he'll be better

1x NA Duel- Runner up |  3x 3v3- 3rd place (Seadderol Deflatriots) (Ez Money) (71st Guards + Russian) | 1x Duel League- 4th place | 1x Regimental Groupfighting- 1st place (71st)  l  1x 2v2- 3rd Place (Vortex/Theodin) | TNWL Season 2 - 1st Place l 1x 2v2- 1st Place (Theodin/Elite) l 2x NANWL-
 71st, Nr8(LG) l 1x 4v4- 1st Place (RussianFury, Waste, NickCole, Theodin) l 1x Cav Joust- 2nd Place l 1x 4v4-
 3rd Place (Theodin, AsianP, Sleek, Godfried, Lurvy) l 1x 5v5 - 1st Place (RussianFury, Yoshie, Krastinov, Jorge, Theodin - Thanos and his children)

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: March 10, 2018, 10:17:42 pm »
You break the law you go to jail

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: March 10, 2018, 10:26:51 pm »
As long as he's sentenced into the type of prison he belongs to be in, I think that's fair enough. He'll be fine, and I bet you when he gets released for good behaviour he'll be better

Here's hoping.

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: March 10, 2018, 10:32:27 pm »
He is a bit of a prick, hiked up the price of a life saving drug

Offline Theodin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 71st Guard MEME POLICE
« Reply #2650 on: March 10, 2018, 10:33:43 pm »
Which is sadly not uncommon in the pharma industry, and unlike other companies he invested in R & D with that profit. moral memes are worthless

1x NA Duel- Runner up |  3x 3v3- 3rd place (Seadderol Deflatriots) (Ez Money) (71st Guards + Russian) | 1x Duel League- 4th place | 1x Regimental Groupfighting- 1st place (71st)  l  1x 2v2- 3rd Place (Vortex/Theodin) | TNWL Season 2 - 1st Place l 1x 2v2- 1st Place (Theodin/Elite) l 2x NANWL-
 71st, Nr8(LG) l 1x 4v4- 1st Place (RussianFury, Waste, NickCole, Theodin) l 1x Cav Joust- 2nd Place l 1x 4v4-
 3rd Place (Theodin, AsianP, Sleek, Godfried, Lurvy) l 1x 5v5 - 1st Place (RussianFury, Yoshie, Krastinov, Jorge, Theodin - Thanos and his children)

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: March 10, 2018, 10:45:47 pm »
Which is sadly not uncommon in the pharma industry, and unlike other companies he invested in R & D with that profit. moral memes are worthless
He may have put the money into more research but that doesn’t help the people who needed that drug there and then

Offline MrTiki

• Former Moderator
  • Senior Madmin EU
    • View Profile
  • Nick: MrTiki
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #2652 on: March 10, 2018, 11:02:08 pm »
It may just be me, but he doesn't seem like the kind of guy to reinvest that money in research, considering his fraud conviction. I'd imagine he was using it to line his pockets and invest in other companies. It's not like his company developed the drug in the first place, they just bought the rights to it then marked it up massively.
He's a prick.

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: March 10, 2018, 11:48:29 pm »
It may just be me, but he doesn't seem like the kind of guy to reinvest that money in research, considering his fraud conviction. I'd imagine he was using it to line his pockets and invest in other companies. It's not like his company developed the drug in the first place, they just bought the rights to it then marked it up massively.

Had Shkreli's sole motivation been profit, then buying the rights to daraprim would have been a moronic investment. At the time of its purchase, daraprim was an ineffective and harmful drug. Invented around 70 years ago, it inhibits the enzyme involved in causing the infection of toxoplasmosis but also inhibits a human enzyme which metabolites the vitamin B6 - quite a nasty side effect for people taking this drug daily.

Shkreli's company has since developed a new form of the drug which targets just the toxoplasma's enzyme, hence leading to no side effects. This was rather easy given modern computing and the ability to molecularly model the bug's enzyme, which wasn't possible at the time of the original drug's creation. So people who are particularly vulnerable to this bug, such as people with HIV, can take this newly developed drug in order to avoid getting toxoplasmosis in the first place, without the side effects of the original drug. I'm not sure if this new drug is in the hands of the infected at this moment in time.

So yeah, Shkreli and his company have invested both time and money into research and development projects. The evidence is out there, you just have to find it for yourself. (Lord knows the media articles you've most likely read won't share it.)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 11:50:15 pm by Gordo »

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: March 11, 2018, 12:18:45 am »
What is the name of this drug? I assume since you're using it to say it's okay that he hiked the price 5000% that it was available to every single person who took the pill immediately after the price was hiked?