Author Topic: The General Political Thread  (Read 530678 times)

Offline Conway

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 41stNY_Whatever_Conway
  • Side: Neutral
Re: The General Political Thread - Brexit poll (#FSEXIT)
« Reply #2520 on: February 17, 2018, 01:24:38 am »
Russia wants peace and friendship? Tell that to the people living in the Donbas region.
I hear they got very friendly with the people of Crimea, when they invaded.
And to the people of Georgia, when they invaded.
And to the people of Chechnya, when they invaded.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: February 17, 2018, 01:26:00 am »
Russia wants peace and friendship? Tell that to the people living in the Donbas.

Thanks to Russia, there are people in Donbas region.

Still buying into the 'RUSSIAN-SPEAKING GENOCIDEEEEEE!!1'?

Offline Conway

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: February 17, 2018, 01:26:37 am »
Spoiler
The BBC is constantly having arguments with the British government regardless of which party is in power. The relationship between them really isn't that cosy. When was the last time RT said anything even mildly embarrassing or critical of Putin?

For foreign events I think the BBC is as good as it gets. Has its natural biases when covering domestic UK politics and is as bad as CNN in that respect, but RT was clearly conceived as a propaganda outfit.

So now it's criteria that a news source HAS to criticize the country it's from in order to be perceived as unbiased? What if there aren't reasons for them to criticize Putin? Have you ever thought about that? Because he's never really done anything against the Russian interest. Oh and trust me, those who wish to criticize Putin do so freely. I know a lot of Russians were unhappy with the government's handling of the olympic scandal, and nobody's been killing or arresting them yet.

An assassination of Putin would be ideal for Ukraine and the west, as at the moment there's nobody as strong as Putin to lead the Russian government.
Yes, we wouldn't want any of those weak, capitalist, democrats running Russia would me?
Der Führer Vladmir keep Russia stronk backbone of cripple world.

Believe it or not, Russians actually elect him and he enjoys an approval rating western leaders only can dream of.
That's mainly because Western leaders don't control their media and can't have their opposition "dealt with". Not saying democracy in Russia has been a great thing thus far, but I can't remember the last time a Western country killed 20 million of its own people.

Huh, Putin doesn't control the media though, nor can he have his opposition "dealt with". (There's no need to anyways, they're all braindead.) There's no laws against independent newspapers or channels. If there was, anti-Russian papers such as The Moscow Times wouldn't be published. And where do you have those numbers from? Did you pull them out of your ass? When did Russia kill 20 million of it's own people?

Russia wants peace and friendship? Tell that to the people living in the Donbas.

Funnily enough those are the ones that wish to rejoin Russia and escape from these new western liberal democratic 'values' that the junta has come with.
[close]
So do they just not educate you about Stalin in Russia? As far as your concerned hes "Glorious leader who we must strive to be like"

Norwegian13

« Reply #2523 on: February 17, 2018, 01:26:58 am »
Russia wants peace and friendship? Tell that to the people living in the Donbas region.

Ayy lmao, good memes my friend. The memes are coming in at a high rate this evening.

Crimea wasn't invaded muh man, there was a democratic referendum. Something that wasn't present in Kosovo when your dearly beloved United States and NATO decided to completely illegaly invade a foreign country with no approval from the United Nations whatsoever. Then our friends in Kosovo proceeded to declare independence WITHOUT a referendum. You claim that to be valid, whereas when Crimeans decide to hold a referendum and vote for reunion with Russia, that's hurr durr Russian annexation.

Georgia wasn't invaded, Georgian troops attacked Russian peacekeeping troops in Ossetia which forced a Russian response really.

Checnya was never invaded either, they were terrorists that were dealt with accordingly.

Spoiler
The BBC is constantly having arguments with the British government regardless of which party is in power. The relationship between them really isn't that cosy. When was the last time RT said anything even mildly embarrassing or critical of Putin?

For foreign events I think the BBC is as good as it gets. Has its natural biases when covering domestic UK politics and is as bad as CNN in that respect, but RT was clearly conceived as a propaganda outfit.

So now it's criteria that a news source HAS to criticize the country it's from in order to be perceived as unbiased? What if there aren't reasons for them to criticize Putin? Have you ever thought about that? Because he's never really done anything against the Russian interest. Oh and trust me, those who wish to criticize Putin do so freely. I know a lot of Russians were unhappy with the government's handling of the olympic scandal, and nobody's been killing or arresting them yet.

An assassination of Putin would be ideal for Ukraine and the west, as at the moment there's nobody as strong as Putin to lead the Russian government.
Yes, we wouldn't want any of those weak, capitalist, democrats running Russia would me?
Der Führer Vladmir keep Russia stronk backbone of cripple world.

Believe it or not, Russians actually elect him and he enjoys an approval rating western leaders only can dream of.
That's mainly because Western leaders don't control their media and can't have their opposition "dealt with". Not saying democracy in Russia has been a great thing thus far, but I can't remember the last time a Western country killed 20 million of its own people.

Huh, Putin doesn't control the media though, nor can he have his opposition "dealt with". (There's no need to anyways, they're all braindead.) There's no laws against independent newspapers or channels. If there was, anti-Russian papers such as The Moscow Times wouldn't be published. And where do you have those numbers from? Did you pull them out of your ass? When did Russia kill 20 million of it's own people?

Funnily enough those are the ones that wish to rejoin Russia and escape from these new western liberal democratic 'values' that the junta has come with.
[close]
So do they just not educate you about Stalin in Russia? As far as your concerned hes "Glorious leader who we must strive to be like"

Hm, never said that actually. And I don't care much for Stalin personally, in fact I don't like him.

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
  • Ex 77y Pfc, 93rd Private and 18e Grenadier
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #2524 on: February 17, 2018, 01:27:08 am »
The funny thing is Duuring is that, not long ago you were memeing about "what about America" and then Norwegian actually said it lmfao

Offline Gojkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: February 17, 2018, 01:27:34 am »

If you don't want to read books about it, at least read wiki on those wars in Chechnya, South Osetia and Crimea.

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: February 17, 2018, 01:40:57 am »
RT is funded by the Russian government, do I trust the Russian government? No so do I trust RT? Hell no.

Vice versa. I'm certain you trust things like Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty (which is funded by the American government and spreads the most hilarious propaganda I've ever seen), but even if you come to me with some other privately owned newspaper or whatever, I still won't trust them because no matter how "independent" they claim to be, there's always someone with the money behind them. *cough* Soros *cough*

Never heard of them.

Offline Conway

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: February 17, 2018, 01:42:00 am »

If you don't want to read books about it, at least read wiki on those wars in Chechnya, South Osetia and Crimea.
In the first fucking paragraph of the wiki it mentions how Russian Separatists where shelling Georgians before they sent in the troops.
The first Chechen war was just them trying to obtain independence, which is fair given how shit the communists had been to them.
Chechnya was then a de facto state, then a rouge militia invades part of Russian and so Putin decides to level the country, then they resorted to terrorism.
And that referendum you're mentioned about Crimea, took part during the Russia occupation lol, so it wasn't even used to justify, they just fucking did it. Its also a likely rigged vote, seeing less than 70% of the population is Russian yet 95% voted to join Russia.

Norwegian13

« Reply #2528 on: February 17, 2018, 01:51:42 am »

In the first fucking paragraph of the wiki it mentions how Russian Separatists where shelling Georgians before they sent in the troops.
The first Chechen war was just them trying to obtain independence, which is fair given how shit the communists had been to them.
Chechnya was then a de facto state, then a rouge militia invades part of Russian and so Putin decides to level the country, then they resorted to terrorism.
And that referendum you're mentioned about Crimea, took part during the Russia occupation lol, so it wasn't even used to justify, they just fucking did it. Its also a likely rigged vote, seeing less than 70% of the population is Russian yet 95% voted to join Russia.

Wikipedia is not a valid source of information.

"Russian occupation". The Russians came only to ensure that the Ukrainians wouldn't interfere with the referendum. You can go on for ages and say that it's a rigged vote, I don't care because I'll say that it wasn't (because it wasn't). It seems like you had no argument against Kosovo either, a state that was also occupied and had no referendum prior to it's declaration of independence. Apperantly that's totally fine, right?

Anyways, I've wasted too much of my time on this pointless discussion. It's been a fun few hours, but now it really is time for me to get the show on the road. Enjoy your Russophobia!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 02:12:27 am by Noorwegian »

Offline Gojkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: February 17, 2018, 01:56:37 am »

Not even going to bother quoting wiki as anyone can google for themselves and see that wiki definitely doesn't say that.

Chechen wars were definitely a lot more complicated than what you mentioned. Furthermore Chechens want to stay in RF hence how the wars ended (just read about Chechen current leader Kadyrov).

As for Crimea, it has been a part of Russia since 1783 until 1954 and it IS Russian in every possible way, culturally, geographically, demographically, whichever you prefer.

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: February 17, 2018, 02:10:13 am »
lmfao the Russians came to ensure the Ukrainians wouldn't interfere? This might be the most bullshit I've ever read on this thread.

Norwegian13

« Reply #2531 on: February 17, 2018, 02:13:26 am »
the Russians came to ensure the Ukrainians wouldn't interfere? This might be the most eye-opening I've ever read on this thread.

You're welcome! ;)

Offline Gojkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: February 17, 2018, 02:14:42 am »
Spoiler
Spoiler
[close]
[close]

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: February 17, 2018, 02:20:46 am »
the Russians came to ensure the Ukrainians wouldn't interfere? This might be the most eye-opening I've ever read on this thread.

You're welcome! ;)
"We invaded a country to make sure they did the right thing"

Norwegian13

« Reply #2534 on: February 17, 2018, 02:25:12 am »

You're welcome! ;)
"We invaded a country to make sure they did the right thing"
More like "We sent troops to a country to ensure that radicals wouldn't interfere and disrupt a referendum"

Goodnight!