Author Topic: The General Political Thread  (Read 530440 times)

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: The General Political Thread - Brexit poll (#FSEXIT)
« Reply #2370 on: January 26, 2018, 09:49:16 pm »
Start a neo-fascist renewal movement for FSE?

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #2371 on: January 26, 2018, 09:57:56 pm »
Not sure what's wrong with William's comment, albeit the term 'neo-fascist' is too strong a word when looking at M5S/AfD/UKIP/PiS/etc. It's eurosceptic populism rather than neo-fascism that's the EU's biggest problem.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: January 26, 2018, 10:10:28 pm »
With two of the three eurosceptic factions in the EP about to go tits up, the third one losing half its membership and eurosceptic parties losing their hard edge left right and centre, I wouldn't exactly call it a problem.

Offline William

• Major General
  • What doth life?
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel where I upload NW and M&B
  • Nick: CluelessWill
« Reply #2373 on: January 26, 2018, 10:15:35 pm »
Not sure what's wrong with William's comment, albeit the term 'neo-fascist' is too strong a word when looking at M5S/AfD/UKIP/PiS/etc. It's eurosceptic populism rather than neo-fascism that's the EU's biggest problem.
Yeah, that's what we pointed out in class but it was the author's terms. We just agreed that right-wing populism and that it seems to be a recurring trend in Western countries, despite how open Western countries try to be. It was mostly just a political discussion on whether state sovereignty would survive globalization but we got into a lot of bigger discussion on immigration and the role of NGO's and MNC's in international politics.
Check out my YT channel where I post NW www.youtube. com/c/CluelessWill
Spoiler
god damn, Anthony is smart, he was able to get the shit AEF to tie with the best reg in the game. The tactical geniusness needed to pull off such a feat is insane. He's the Erwin Rommel of NW.
i always get an erection when i check my subscrptions and see that phresh cluelesswill vid
It won't be FSE developing it, so it will come out!
[close]

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: January 26, 2018, 10:28:28 pm »
1.Status quo
2.Status quo is challenged
3. Some people don't like it because they perceive the status quo as beneficial and oppose challenge.

Yeah, really sounds like something unique to the EU of the last decade.

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2375 on: January 26, 2018, 11:26:28 pm »
1.Status quo
2.Status quo is challenged
3. Some people don't like it because they perceive the status quo as beneficial and oppose challenge.

Yeah, really sounds like something unique to the EU of the last decade.

Except he never claimed it was unique, because it isn't, merely that it was happening.

Yeah, that's what we pointed out in class but it was the author's terms. We just agreed that right-wing populism and that it seems to be a recurring trend in Western countries, despite how open Western countries try to be. It was mostly just a political discussion on whether state sovereignty would survive globalization but we got into a lot of bigger discussion on immigration and the role of NGO's and MNC's in international politics.

Your class must have a really left-wing bias lol-European populism isn't just on the right (see Syriza, Podemos, Jeremy Corbyn, M5S to an extent, etc).

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
  • Ex 77y Pfc, 93rd Private and 18e Grenadier
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #2376 on: January 27, 2018, 12:01:39 am »
Populism is just appealing to the people, it’s a pretty non partisan concept since it can happen on either side of the spectrum

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: January 27, 2018, 12:06:24 am »
Some political scientists don't even consider populism an ideology like the left-right divide, but a style or strategy. I don't necessarily agree with that, but yes, there's left-wing populism, but no, it's not a copy-paste of right-wing populism with leftist ideas. 

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: January 27, 2018, 12:52:15 am »
Some political scientists don't even consider populism an ideology like the left-right divide, but a style or strategy. I don't necessarily agree with that, but yes, there's left-wing populism, but no, it's not a copy-paste of right-wing populism with leftist ideas.
I would agree that it is more of a way of doing things rather than an ideology

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: January 27, 2018, 12:53:05 am »

There's a *lot* of cross-over as they all like to cast themselves as anti-establishment which takes on familiar forms. Corbyn basically adopted Trump's tactics in terms of bashing the media and the elites and blaming all ills on certain targets (Mexicans, the rich, Blairites, Hillary, etc). His team even bragged about doing so: https://www.politico.eu/article/revealed-jeremy-corbyn-labour-plan-to-copy-donald-trump-playbook/

Corbyn's team bash the BBC even more than Trump bashes CNN...You also get a big whiff of antisemitism with Corbyn's Labour, same with a lot of the alt-right. The guy is constantly Jew baiting:
https://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/social-media-storm-breaks-over-corbyn-s-jew-free-holocaust-memorial-day-statement-1.457496

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: January 27, 2018, 12:56:44 am »
Steven it's actually funny if you think anything about Corbyn's memorial statement in anti-Semitic. Just because he didn't literally use the word Jew that doesn't mean he hates them. He said 'We should never forget the holocaust: the millions who died, the millions displaced and cruel hurt that their descendants have suffered'. That is quite clearly referring to Jews.

I'll be the first to admit that hearing the news of the cancellation of the investigation into anti-Semitism in the party troubles me, but at least give some credible evidence rather than trying to bullshit us.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 01:04:06 am by Toffee Lad »

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: January 27, 2018, 02:52:58 am »
The Holocaust has a broad definition-it's not just Jews who were killed but also the disabled, gypsies, Poles, etc. He knows what he's doing. In and of itself I'll admit it's hardly anything and ordinarily I'd say it was a minor PR blunder, but it fits a pattern of behaviour of which this is the latest example. You can't hang out with jew-hating organisations, share platforms with antisemites and whitewash investigations in antisemitism and still expect to be given the benefit of the doubt. I mean come on, his record is awful...

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: January 27, 2018, 03:05:01 am »
Yes it does refer to more than just the Jews, but the key is that it includes Jews. As I said, I also worry about the state of the Labour party but this whole affair about the memorial statement is a desperate attempt at news.

If I was leader of the Labour party though, I would want that investigation to be continued. It does worry me and, at times, makes me consider the fact that I'm a member of the party. It would be nice for Jeremy Corbyn to just come out and denounce anti Jewish groups and reiterate and clarify his statement.

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: January 27, 2018, 03:37:19 pm »
Jeremy Corbyn, provocateur and member of the alt-right.  8)

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #2384 on: January 29, 2018, 08:11:10 am »
And remember we used to think Milliband was a joke
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.