Author Topic: The General Political Thread  (Read 529510 times)

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
  • Ex 77y Pfc, 93rd Private and 18e Grenadier
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: The General Political Thread
« Reply #1890 on: October 11, 2017, 01:12:51 pm »
I think I the debate over which ammunition is better has become slightly off topic
Communism did nothing wrong.

Offline fruitocino

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • 18e SgtMaj
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #1891 on: October 11, 2017, 01:31:17 pm »
tfw in the Czech election the guy from the party leading the polls owns the largest Czech media company :>
I don't see a problem xxxxxx

Offline Fwuffy

• Amazing human being who deserves this title fully
  • General
  • Statue Gaming™
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Toupie
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #1892 on: October 11, 2017, 02:08:57 pm »
tfw in the Czech election the guy from the party leading the polls owns the largest Czech media company :>
I don't see a problem xxxxxx
::)

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #1893 on: October 11, 2017, 03:06:02 pm »
Also, tfw when someone calls AK usefull for a long range firefight. AK is very unstable in accuracy, also it has major problems after firing 2-3 mags

I didn't say AK are in particular good for long range, but it was experience quite often by coalition forces in Iraq and Afghanistan that they were often outranged by AK fire. Don't forget that for a firefight it is never expected to have pinpoint accuracy. The point of fighting in groups is that you put suppressive fire downrange. You''l hit someone eventually when you get close enough. The AK can still be reasonably accurate at 600 metres, with a max range of suppressive fire at 800 metres. Sure that would require a skilled shooter, which terrorists usually are anything but. It was still prblematic considering the M4 has an effective range of 300-400 metres and suppressive fire at a max of roughly 600
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Prince_Eugen

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 19th_Fus_Prince_Eugen
« Reply #1894 on: October 11, 2017, 04:41:30 pm »

I didn't say AK are in particular good for long range, but it was experience quite often by coalition forces in Iraq and Afghanistan that they were often outranged by AK fire. Don't forget that for a firefight it is never expected to have pinpoint accuracy. The point of fighting in groups is that you put suppressive fire downrange. You''l hit someone eventually when you get close enough. The AK can still be reasonably accurate at 600 metres, with a max range of suppressive fire at 800 metres. Sure that would require a skilled shooter, which terrorists usually are anything but. It was still prblematic considering the M4 has an effective range of 300-400 metres and suppressive fire at a max of roughly 600
Yes, Iraqi forces were good with those AK, because they used tactics of shooting just where they were looking at. But yes, the poing of AK is to provide suppressive fire. But AK cant stand for a long time shooting, after 2 mags you experince weird bullet drop.
Personally, from my field of view and from my personal skill of using AK-74 i can tell it's a good reliable weapon, so far it has it's own problems just like any other rifle.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
« Reply #1895 on: October 11, 2017, 05:10:58 pm »
Also, tfw when someone calls AK usefull for a long range firefight. AK is very unstable in accuracy, also it has major problems after firing 2-3 mags

This is why I suggest reintroducing the Charleville into military service. Cal.69 is great. It has a effective range of 90 meters and suppressive fire at a max 0 meters. Suppressing is difficult if you can only get 1 shot out every 30 seconds. 

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: October 11, 2017, 05:31:58 pm »
The US Army I believe is looking into reintroducing the 7.62 round as a standard issue round for the grunts.
Seems like they're falling back into time with that... there were, and still are, good reasons to switch to 5.56.

The problem the US army has is that they don't really have a weapons on the squad that quite gets the job done at 600 metres...
It is strange because no other military seems to have a problem as bad as that... Or willing to change to combat it, perhaps.

Question for people who know this, is the M240 still a crew-served weapon that is carried by a squad? or is that just the M249?
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: October 11, 2017, 10:01:24 pm »
Discussing political ideologies is apparently "off-topic", but this gun nut orgy isn't!  ;D

Offline Prince_Eugen

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: October 11, 2017, 10:13:01 pm »
Guns go after politics and diplomacy, so why not.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: October 12, 2017, 11:02:35 am »
The US Army I believe is looking into reintroducing the 7.62 round as a standard issue round for the grunts.
Seems like they're falling back into time with that... there were, and still are, good reasons to switch to 5.56.

The problem the US army has is that they don't really have a weapons on the squad that quite gets the job done at 600 metres...
It is strange because no other military seems to have a problem as bad as that... Or willing to change to combat it, perhaps.

Question for people who know this, is the M240 still a crew-served weapon that is carried by a squad? or is that just the M249?

For this reason I suggest introducing the 4 pounder cannon into the squad level. A small mortar might also do the job.

Offline Prince_Eugen

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: October 12, 2017, 11:37:46 am »

For this reason I suggest introducing the 4 pounder cannon into the squad level. A small mortar might also do the job.
Also, implementation of swords and sabres as individual cold weapon. Also the attachment of horses for armoured units and artillery.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: October 12, 2017, 02:36:41 pm »
Exactly. Horses never run out of fuel! And donkeys or ponies can easily navigate in mountainous terrain.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: October 12, 2017, 03:29:18 pm »
So can helicopters...

Offline Prince_Eugen

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: October 12, 2017, 03:38:22 pm »
So can helicopters...
Pf, who needs heli when you have a vintage animals in use  ::)

Offline Karth

• Donator
  • General of 63e| NW Official Admin
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 63e_General_Karth
« Reply #1904 on: October 12, 2017, 03:43:26 pm »

We already use the M4 Carbines and M16s 5.56, haven't heard about switching to 7.62 (Idk why we would).  M240's atleast in the Air Force are on our UH-1s, I know the M249 is def squad carried, but I've heard that marines are replacing it with M27's

So can helicopters...
Pf, who needs heli when you have a vintage animals in use  ::)
Lol a M61 Vulcan shredding vintage cavalry would be a glorious sight