Author Topic: The General Political Thread  (Read 529371 times)

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
  • Ex 77y Pfc, 93rd Private and 18e Grenadier
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: The General Political Thread
« Reply #1830 on: October 08, 2017, 10:04:06 am »
Of course it's a major problem that's why measures need to be taken against extremism and they will be. But you can't just sit back idly and wait for another mass shooting to occur. I'm done trying to convince you guys because clearly you don't care. You'll be the first to shout tragedy when another one happens and the first to do nothing about it.

And Theodin don't be an arse. You love to cry virtue signalling when you can't think of a proper argument. Clearly we need to prevent people from fucking dying. That's not virtue signalling that's just common fucking sense.

I'm not saying it's possible to get rid of all guns but clearly some restrictions have to be put in place. It's not virtue signalling if I'm talking about hiw the discussion started in the first place. I'm pretty sure the US constitution doesn't state that all weapons must be allowed so maybe a restriction on high capacity magazines, high calibre rifles or something along those lines to try to limit their usage (I don't know guns). In the period that the Iraq war happend. More women were killed with guns by their partners than the US dead in the war. It needs to become harder for potential risks for gun violence to gain access to these weapons. Switzerland has background checks and requires liscenses and this obviously leads to fewer deaths. There have been almost half a million gun deaths in the ISA between the late nineties and 2013. Surely steps must be taken to protect citizens.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 10:33:47 am by Toffee Lad »

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
« Reply #1831 on: October 08, 2017, 12:30:25 pm »
I am actually for the legalisation of Nuclear Warheads.

If everyone has one at home, no one is going to use them, because it would mean nuclear worldwide holocaust. Right? It worked for the US and the USSR, so why not for every citizen?!

I also think that Lebel rifles should be free to own without  licenses in Germany, because I really want one and I can not be bothered to go through all the bureaucratic bullshit to get one.

Offline Karth

• Donator
  • General of 63e| NW Official Admin
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 63e_General_Karth
« Reply #1832 on: October 08, 2017, 03:10:31 pm »
Toffee you realize 93 people die by guns on average every day in the US? Should we be forgetting about the majority of them being innocent people as well? Mass shooting occur once a year on average, yes it is an issue but when you look at it from an utopian point of view thousands of people are dying from gun violence (including kids).  It's important to address that first, and the solution is not taking away guns, but again addressing the societal and economic situations which foster that sort of gun culture (as the CDC and Justice studies both validate occur in predominately African American poverished inner cities )

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #1833 on: October 08, 2017, 03:13:46 pm »
Mass shooting occur once a year on average

Perfectly acceptable rate, I agree.

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: October 08, 2017, 03:15:41 pm »
Toffee you realize 93 people die by guns on average every day in the US? Should we be forgetting about the majority of them being innocent people as well? Mass shooting occur once a year on average, yes it is an issue but when you look at it from an utopian point of view thousands of people are dying from gun violence (including kids).  It's important to address that first, and the solution is not taking away guns, but again addressing the societal and economic situations which foster that sort of gun culture (as the CDC and Justice studies both validate occur in predominately African American poverished inner cities )
Yes but both need to be done. Mass shootings happen way too often. You need to take away the means. How are you going to address these issues? Offering better mental health help for people? We both know that won't happen in the US with your healthcare track record.

Offline TheBoberton

• Knight of Blueberry
  • Colonel
  • I don't want no pardon for anything I done
    • View Profile
    • Thomas' Steam Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #1835 on: October 08, 2017, 03:19:03 pm »
Offering better mental health help for people? We both know that won't happen in the US with your healthcare track record.

And your solution is something you know won't happen in the US, with our track record on firearm legislation?

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: October 08, 2017, 03:24:39 pm »
Failure to pass legislation in the past is really no argument why no attempt should be made. All new legislation failed before.

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: October 08, 2017, 03:30:33 pm »
Failure to pass legislation in the past is really no argument why no attempt should be made. All new legislation failed before.
This. Your entire argument Boberton is that is hasn't been done before...

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #1838 on: October 08, 2017, 03:38:43 pm »
Also I'm Dutch, I come from quite a military family so that's why I'm interested in this. Trying to enlist myself aswell.

You'd need to look into our weapons systems then. We do not use the HK417 or 416. We use the Colt Canada C7 NLD and C8 NLD. They're basically canadian modified M16's.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: October 08, 2017, 03:40:16 pm »
Wikipedia says the Commandos get them.

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: October 08, 2017, 03:44:10 pm »
For someone that is a novice to American gun laws and don't have the gun "culture" I'd say the major issues seem to be the lack of training, the accessibility to assualt rifles, lack of gun storage laws making children/toddlers getting their hands on guns and what Karth mentioned the fearmongering media.

#FreeKurdistan
[close]
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 03:47:21 pm by Furrnox »

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #1841 on: October 08, 2017, 03:48:00 pm »
Wikipedia says the Commandos get them.

Yes MARSOF and the Commando\s get them. That's it. But that is what? Two battalions if they're even organic battalion size?

EDIT: NL MARSOF is roughly three companies and the KCT is one battalion, though their units are smaller. So we're talking about 1000 men with access to HK417s.
You can hardly say 'our country uses 417s'with those numbers considering the army is 18.000 strong
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 03:52:11 pm by Riddlez »
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: October 08, 2017, 03:52:20 pm »
Special troops come first, I guess. And given that even they are in a sorry state shows how far-stretched our defunding has been.

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: October 08, 2017, 03:56:19 pm »
Nobody cares about the Dutch military.. Go on your Dutch forums and discuss it, please.

Offline TheBoberton

• Knight of Blueberry
  • Colonel
  • I don't want no pardon for anything I done
    • View Profile
    • Thomas' Steam Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #1844 on: October 08, 2017, 03:58:34 pm »
This. Your entire argument Boberton is that is hasn't been done before...

Is that not the base of his argument about American mental health care?

Draconian firearm legislation of the variety you think necessary will never pass in the United States. The environment for it didn't exist when over a dozen school children were killed, nor does it exist now.