Author Topic: The General Political Thread  (Read 529312 times)

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
  • Ex 77y Pfc, 93rd Private and 18e Grenadier
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: Dutch, German & French Elections Thread, or The General Political Thread
« Reply #1395 on: August 26, 2017, 05:32:04 pm »
Oh fuck, my bad, forgot about coalition governments. They're not very common here :P
Unfortunately they seem to be becoming very common here  :(

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #1396 on: August 27, 2017, 01:39:44 pm »
One of the best diplomatic bitch slaps I've ever seen:

Spoiler
[close]

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
« Reply #1397 on: August 27, 2017, 02:18:39 pm »
The issue is that wages in Poland are far lower than they are in western Europe. If someone from Poland comes to work in western europe, they are paid according to the standards of Poland. No one in western Europe can compete with wages that low, no one. It's like illegal Mexicans in the US who push normal Americans out of the job market because they are willing to work for almost nothing. It creates unfair competition in the job market. This isn't about the survival of the single market, it is about making the single market fair.
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: August 27, 2017, 05:09:56 pm »
The issue is that wages in Poland are far lower than they are in western Europe. If someone from Poland comes to work in western europe, they are paid according to the standards of Poland. No one in western Europe can compete with wages that low, no one. It's like illegal Mexicans in the US who push normal Americans out of the job market because they are willing to work for almost nothing. It creates unfair competition in the job market. This isn't about the survival of the single market, it is about making the single market fair.

Given the EU, and France especially, spent the whole of 2015 telling David Cameron to go away when he tried to reform free movement and labour rules I hope Macron fails. Also it's about time someone told France the word 'No'. The most stinging part of the Polish put-down was telling the French they were 'merely equal members of the EU' which is not how the French see it.

Offline Conway

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 41stNY_Whatever_Conway
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #1399 on: August 27, 2017, 05:50:30 pm »

Given the EU, and France especially, spent the whole of 2015 telling David Cameron to go away when he tried to reform free movement and labour rules I hope Macron fails. Also it's about time someone told France the word 'No'. The most stinging part of the Polish put-down was telling the French they were 'merely equal members of the EU' which is not how the French see it.

"No"

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: August 27, 2017, 05:53:57 pm »
WW1: "yes"

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #1401 on: August 29, 2017, 05:52:41 am »
Arriving a little late to the party, but I have had to explain why I am convinced terrorism is not a threat to our society far too often.

I should indeed rephrase a bit: terrorism stands not even the slightest sliver of a chance to maybe begin to topple our way of life. That is, if we choose not to. The power of terrorists is entirely in our own hands. Not in theirs.

Yes, terrorist attacks are horrible and justice to those who perpetrate or plot to perform them must experience wjat justice a modern nation's police commandos can bear upon them, and the deaths are a tragedy. But the threat of terrorism should not extend beyond the worries of our states' intelligence communities. Soldiers on the street are not a solution to violence, they only serve to reassure the people.

I would personally mourn the day Dutch military personnel patrols the street of Amsterdam. (Besides our MPs in tje form they do so now, but thats another matter, different kind of military branch)

You may disagree with me, but this is a discussion of principle and not of fact.

Btw, I am opening a military discussion thread, there is demand foro ne
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: August 29, 2017, 01:50:46 pm »
Terrorism has already changed our way of life, we've already given in. It's little things like this that slowly build up over time:
http://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/streets-of-the-future-antiterror-bollards-rolled-out-in-australian-cities/news-story/31ccd6649f8d17cbe223d01178f9ff03

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: August 29, 2017, 02:50:09 pm »
I wouldn't call adding in a few bollards as beginning to change our way of life

Offline Theodin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 71st Guard MEME POLICE
« Reply #1404 on: August 29, 2017, 03:01:20 pm »
In the literal sense, yes.
In the psychological sense, no.

1x NA Duel- Runner up |  3x 3v3- 3rd place (Seadderol Deflatriots) (Ez Money) (71st Guards + Russian) | 1x Duel League- 4th place | 1x Regimental Groupfighting- 1st place (71st)  l  1x 2v2- 3rd Place (Vortex/Theodin) | TNWL Season 2 - 1st Place l 1x 2v2- 1st Place (Theodin/Elite) l 2x NANWL-
 71st, Nr8(LG) l 1x 4v4- 1st Place (RussianFury, Waste, NickCole, Theodin) l 1x Cav Joust- 2nd Place l 1x 4v4-
 3rd Place (Theodin, AsianP, Sleek, Godfried, Lurvy) l 1x 5v5 - 1st Place (RussianFury, Yoshie, Krastinov, Jorge, Theodin - Thanos and his children)

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: August 29, 2017, 03:05:21 pm »
Don't forget that proposed bulletproof wall around the Eiffel Tower and the large armed police presence at any gathering/event such as the Christmas markets.

In the literal sense, yes.
In the psychological sense, no.

Could be argued "yes" for both imo. Kids having to see soldiers and SWAT on the streets isn't something I had to put up with at their age. Yeah, the psychological effect may not be great, but it's still there.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 03:07:28 pm by Gordo »

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: August 29, 2017, 03:10:18 pm »
You're acting like terrorism is something new. The IRA tried to bomb us for years. They even killed two little kids in my hometown. But life goes on as it always has. We might increase our defences but it'll never change the core of our society.

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: August 29, 2017, 03:26:34 pm »
That's a bad comparison - the IRA was a different type of animal completely. Most of the IRA's soldiers were uniformed and we could fight them directly. More so, we knew what their end game and goal was.

Non of which can be said for ISIS. We cannot negotiate for a caliphate.

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: August 29, 2017, 04:08:41 pm »

Did you not read the second sentence of what I wrote? As I said, it's little things over time that build up. Go to any major UK city and you'll see that armed police are now a common sight-major change for a country that prides itself on having an unarmed police force, or at least used to.

Offline Von Bergen

• Best Kindergarten Teacher EU West
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
    • 23rd Ts
  • Nick: Jay Mc Lovin
« Reply #1409 on: August 29, 2017, 04:50:45 pm »

Did you not read the second sentence of what I wrote? As I said, it's little things over time that build up. Go to any major UK city and you'll see that armed police are now a common sight-major change for a country that prides itself on having an unarmed police force, or at least used to.
At least they dont have a Police with Military weapons (and i am Not Just talking about asault Rifles) Like in the USA