Author Topic: The General Political Thread  (Read 530665 times)

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
  • Ex 77y Pfc, 93rd Private and 18e Grenadier
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: Dutch, German & French Elections Thread, or The General Political Thread
« Reply #1141 on: August 01, 2017, 01:28:04 pm »
Interesting. Some good leverage for Brexit I suppose.

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #1142 on: August 01, 2017, 02:10:37 pm »
Well more importantly it shows that the rest of the EU doesn't much trust Germany and for good reason. Owing to their war guilt, which infects every level of German society, they don't make good military allies as it's very difficult for a German Chancellor to authorise military action abroad. They sometimes send 1000 men here or there as part of wider NATO peacekeeping efforts but that's about as far as the German public will allow it to go.

So you can imagine that a serious military power like France would be very wary of integrating their armed forces with Germany since that would give Berlin a veto over military action abroad. The whole thing is just asking for trouble-if there's a serious need for France to send troops somewhere but the German Chancellor says no (either because they're a pacifist or can't win over public opinion) then you can imagine the uproar. Similarly if Berlin says yes and Germans start coming back in body bags after fighting for French interests in West Africa there'll be a similar uproar in Germany.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #1143 on: August 01, 2017, 02:19:55 pm »
Meh I am all for Germany being allies... But that is more because of cultural and doctrine similiarities with us than anything else.

I do not know how much of this is publicly obivous, but Germany's mandates where they are deployed, are ridiculous.

Usually mandates are thoughly devided like this (NATO setting):
- The U.S. is veerywhere and is involved in every aspect of the war
- So are the Britis
- The French do pretty much whatever the fuck they want. Usually Belgium plays along
- THe Italians only do something if they care.
- The Dutch (and usually Denmark as wel) have a small yet significant contribution, and are peculiarly free in their mandate. The Dutch get spammed with Air Mission requests from the Brits and US.\

- Somewhere Australia is doing their thing. Nobody knows what they're doing there and they are usually GB's bitch. A common relieve party for the Dutch, Germans, or English

- Germany is technically there, but their mandates are sooo narrow they are usually not even allowed off-base.

Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Karth

• Donator
  • General of 63e| NW Official Admin
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 63e_General_Karth
« Reply #1144 on: August 01, 2017, 02:39:56 pm »
It's fine, we have been occupying Germany for decades, will keep an eye on them

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: August 01, 2017, 03:08:35 pm »

Given that the vast majority of white Americans share a German ancestry, perhaps it is them that have been occupying you?¿?¿?¿?

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: August 01, 2017, 04:16:19 pm »

Given that the vast majority of white Americans share a German ancestry, perhaps it is them that have been occupying you?¿?¿?¿?
That is so next level

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: August 01, 2017, 04:17:19 pm »
Meh I am all for Germany being allies... But that is more because of cultural and doctrine similiarities with us than anything else.

I do not know how much of this is publicly obivous, but Germany's mandates where they are deployed, are ridiculous.

Usually mandates are thoughly devided like this (NATO setting):
- The U.S. is veerywhere and is involved in every aspect of the war
- So are the Britis
- The French do pretty much whatever the fuck they want. Usually Belgium plays along
- THe Italians only do something if they care.
- The Dutch (and usually Denmark as wel) have a small yet significant contribution, and are peculiarly free in their mandate. The Dutch get spammed with Air Mission requests from the Brits and US.\

- Somewhere Australia is doing their thing. Nobody knows what they're doing there and they are usually GB's bitch. A common relieve party for the Dutch, Germans, or English

- Germany is technically there, but their mandates are sooo narrow they are usually not even allowed off-base.

Even more reason why an integrated EU military cannot work as it relies too much on Germany. Come back in 50+ years when Germans are less ashamed of 1914-1918 and 1933-1945.

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: August 01, 2017, 04:53:38 pm »
Wait what happened in those years?

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: August 01, 2017, 06:20:05 pm »

Even more reason why an integrated EU military cannot work as it relies too much on Germany. Come back in 50+ years when Germans are less ashamed of 1914-1918 and 1933-1945.

Yeah this is what I have been saying to everyone who is so pro-EU military. IT won't work because of too many reasons, andthose are only military and practical. Never mind the legal reasons.

I all for increased cooperation, on the level we see between Germany and the NL andthe NL and Belgium. But that is among equals in doctrine and all are a symbiotic cooperation. Carelessly generalising this will destroy more than it builds.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: August 01, 2017, 08:18:10 pm »
http://www.dailywire.com/news/19183/yikes-white-house-officials-duped-lazy-anarchist-james-barrett

I think every single US politician needs to be given a middle-school level class on e-safety and the use of email.

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: August 01, 2017, 08:40:41 pm »
Been following that guy for a while, he's managed to trick Diane Abbott, Norman Tebbitt and a load of bank CEOs.
https://order-order.com/2017/06/06/diane-abbott-apparently-duped-alleged-email-prankster/

For some reason she was stupid enough to hand over confidential medical information as well orchestrating a bullshit excuse for several terrible media interviews.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: August 01, 2017, 09:52:28 pm »
Fantastic

Offline fruitocino

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • 18e SgtMaj
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: August 02, 2017, 12:33:48 am »
1914-18, nothing to be ashamed of really except a not very bright emperor.
For an EU military to work Germany would obviously have to adjust their legislation, but I don't think an EU military would be a good idea anyway; every country should be able to decide whether they want to deploy or not, just like in the past.
On another note I wish the EU would focus more on economic cooperation and interfere less with politics of individual member states. That is kind of what it was founded for, and "peace in Europe" of course.

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: August 02, 2017, 01:35:21 am »
I mean European military cooperation has gone as far as it probably will go. We all already work together on UN and NATO missions. Combining armed forces would probably just add another layer of political bullshit and shit stirring between the major European powers. We've already seen how much the UK, France and Germany love to chat shit about each other during the Brexit negotiations.