Author Topic: BoP: Napoleonic Wars (Out-of-character Thread) [Live]  (Read 70591 times)

Offline Volk

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: BoP: Napoleonic Wars (Out-of-character Thread)
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2016, 02:41:53 am »
So I've done the first (VERY) rough draft of the game map. I simply took the old BoP 1914 map and edited it heavily (which is why you can see the massive splotch of "Empire of Germany" color where the HRE states should be.

It should be obvious that this is not the complete version. I edited the areas I knew by heart or where I could edit with faith in my knowledge of the region. There are multiple areas of contention that I admit I am not knowledgeable enough to edit, and so I need your help. I would like help with:

-The German States (The HRE is the most confusing thing I've ever seen. Enclaves within enclaves within exclaves, counties here here and there, etc etc. I've done Baden, Bavaria, East Frisia, French Hanover (technically British Hanover but occupied by French) Mecklenburg, Oldenburg, Saxony, and Wurttemberg to the best of my knowledge, however feel free to correct any mistakes or make your own corrections to the area. I admit ignorance of the HRE.)
-North Italy (I think I've done a decent job getting the basic borders of the region, mainly Kingdom of Italy, Papal States, and Etruria. However, I am also not particularly confident in the region so please do me a favor and look it over. If you spot a province belonging to the wrong Italian state please let me know.)
-Egypt (I'm not sure at all about Egypt. Is it British? Is it French? Is it Ottoman? Mameluke? All of the above?)
-Partitioned Poland (I think I got it right. However, the borders are not as rigid as this province map mode, so please give it a look over.)

All help is appreciated. Here is first rough draft:
Spoiler
[close]

Shoot, I forgot Luxembourg is French territory.

Edit: I've also tweaked the colors ever so slightly to better differentiate between nations as well as just look slightly better. Some are almost unnoticeable while others are very noticeable (Russia, Prussia, Sweden etc).

Edit Edit: I've also decided on the first possible start date of the game, which is January of 1804. Napoleon has just crowned himself emperor in December of 1803, which should give people time to prepare stuff and react to the news. It also would give me time to instigate a few historical things with France, including the execution of the Duke of Enghien, which should also give you all something to react to and which should, rp and history wise, should push the monarchies of Europe to begin hostilities against France. I've also come up with the idea of the game moving in either blocks of 3 months (which I prefer) to allow a Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall turn, or in blocks of 4 months.

Please discuss.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 03:35:13 am by Volk »

Offline DoctorWarband

• Colonel
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: DoctorWarbandHD
  • Side: Union
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2016, 11:56:37 am »
I agree on the 3 months thing. It should have various bonuses and penalties to each season. Like for example winter gives more attrition and you will not be able to raise troops.
The Dankest of Memes, start in the simplest of words. Wombo combo.

Offline Nick Lazanis

• Donator
  • Sex,droga i Bodiroga.
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy

Offline The Mighty McLovin

• Deserves a better title than this
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2016, 04:29:20 pm »
North Africa and Egypt both belonged to the Ottomans at this point. And I also think that Etruria should be owned by the Spanish Empire. Other than that, I think that map looks good for a very rough draft - you might have to change the sizes and shapes of some provinces to make it resemble the map that Furrnox just provided.

Also I think that 3 months is a better round period. That's exactly what I was thinking too. Hopefully with 3 months per round we will finish a BoP.

Offline Vald

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2016, 04:36:54 pm »
North Africa and Egypt both belonged to the Ottomans at this point. And I also think that Etruria should be owned by the Spanish Empire. Other than that, I think that map looks good for a very rough draft - you might have to change the sizes and shapes of some provinces to make it resemble the map that Furrnox just provided.

Also I think that 3 months is a better round period. That's exactly what I was thinking too. Hopefully with 3 months per round we will finish a BoP.

Egypt was having a civil war between the Egyptian Mameluks who wanted independence and Ottoman Turks who wanted to bring it back under control of the Empire so its kinda hard to say who it should belong to.
Personally i think it would fit more if Egypt was a puppet state of the Ottomans.

Offline Raddeo

• Brigadier General
  • One, who prefer to be Comrade that Human Resource
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2016, 08:14:08 pm »
Concerning Poland, borders should be a little different. Border between Russia and Prussia should lay on the Neman river just west of the Vilnius and Trakai. Also Austrian-Prussian border should be changed a little, as Warsaw was taken by Prussians during Partitions. I believe it should look rather like this:
Spoiler
[close]

And if we're talking about Poland already. I know it's not on the list but will it be playable in any way? It's true that it didn't appear on the map until 1807, but even before that date Poles were quite active during the war (for example as Dąbrowski Legions). Also it would be a shame to totally wipe them from the history of our game :(
There is a story that scientists built an inteligent computer.
The first question they asked it was "Is there a God?"
The computer replied "There is now."
And the bolt of lightning struck the plug,
So it couldn't be turned off.

Offline Volk

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2016, 08:45:59 pm »
I've edited map as best I can so far without cutting provinces apart. I still need help with the HRE area so if anybody has an idea of the borders of Hesse-Kessel, Prussian lands in the region, etc pls help.

And if we're talking about Poland already. I know it's not on the list
If it's not on the list, it's not playable. If it is on the list, it is playable.* If you want something not on the list to become playable, ask France to make it playable;)

*Unless it's a client state/a state owned personally by Napoleon, ie (Kingdom of Italy - King Napoleon Bonaparte) Then it's still technically playable but... you know, Napoleon.

Offline The Mighty McLovin

• Deserves a better title than this
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2016, 09:21:11 pm »

So I  made a few changes to the map... I'll start with north italy. The Ligurian Republic (above Corsica) was an independent but satellite state of France. I also gave France another province to make it resemble the map more. Also, the Spanish Empire controlled Etruria at this point and Sicily and Naples were in a union, Kingdom of the Two Sicilies, the purple one. Now in Germany, the Swedish ruled over parts of Pomerania until 1815 and Mecklenburg was made bigger. Also, I gave Austria another province next to Montenegro, as they historically ruled over this. Meanwhile, I have also expanded the French as they controlled huge parts of the Rhineland, much further than Alsace-Lorainne.

Offline Nick Lazanis

• Donator
  • Sex,droga i Bodiroga.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2016, 01:16:00 am »
Nice work :)

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2016, 01:22:16 am »
I'm not sure if that blue stuff inside of Germany is French or not with that color (it's supposed to be independent), also Prussia had enclaves inside of Germany. Other than that it looks mostly correct since we don't seem to be doing the smallest German states.

Online BabyJesus

• General
  • #1 Cringe poster and lover of Anna Kendrick
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Most Average MVP of All Time
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2016, 01:23:37 am »
I'm not sure if that blue stuff inside of Germany is French or not with that color (it's supposed to be independent), also Prussia had enclaves inside of Germany. Other than that it looks mostly correct since we don't seem to be doing the smallest German states.
i think Volk asked people to help her with the smaller German states because she didn't really know where all of them go
1st NWPC S2(21st)|(1st) 5v5 Draft~NA GroupFighting Tournament  |1st♕Rex's 6v6 Tournament | 1st TNWL S2(71st) | 1st NWL S5 (58e) | 3rd place Sleeks 5v5 (Highschoole DxD)
You are by far the best average player to touch this game.
Quote from: Risk
The BEST average player of all time

Offline Volk

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2016, 02:01:58 am »
Here is rough draft 2 of the BoP map. I've edited according to input from you all in both this thread and my PM's. Some things I still need help with, mainly HRE (welp). Most of the map has been resolved though. I advise you all take a look at this and see if you spot either any artifacts from the BoP 1914 map (Dead pixels, pixels colored a different color etc) or any mistakes. (HRE, Italy, etc)

I've kept some things unchanged because of reasons in-game, they're easier for me as a GM, or they're just not worth the effort to change them (Looking at you "Barbary States". Absolutely useless, didn't even do a damn thing in these wars.)
Map Draft 2
[close]

Change List
-Made  Batavian Republic more ORANGE
-Changed some nations' colors to better differentiate between each other (Italy made lighter, Russia made darker and greener, Portugal color made slightly less grey, Spain and Papal States colors made more unique, etc)
-Added Ligurian Republic (annexed by France later)
-Added Electorate of Salzburg
-Added Swedish Pomerania
-Added Mecklenburg-Strelitz
-Added Prussian... whatever that land is called. (Westphalia? Rhine? The land stretching from East Frisia down the border of Batavian Republic.
-Flipped 1 border province from Russia to Prussia
-Removed map artifacts from BoP 1914
-Extended France's Rhineland border

[close]

I'm not sure if that blue stuff inside of Germany is French or not with that color (it's supposed to be independent)

It was occupied in 1803 by the French, though no formal treaty between France and GB ever came about so it is technically not France's but Great Britain's. For our purposes it's French (unless GB decides to reclaim it?).

Map is going well, however once again I admit ignorance of the HRE. I know there's Hesse Kessel & Prussian enclaves somewhere in that "Germany" region, however because the HRE is such a fuckfest of enclaves and exclaves I am not confident enough to really put down provinces there. Once again if you see an error point it out, specifically in Germany if possible.

Also, does anybody know if East Frisia was independent or not? When I looked through books the only mention I found of East Frisia was that it was annexed by Prussia in the late 1700's right before the Revolution. Also I think the Prussian enclave should be bigger but I'm not confident enough to make it so.

Also I think I might start opening up reservations once I finalize a few things. I would like to add some country modifiers before players start picking their nations so I can be fair in judgement. My only request for when I open up reservations is that the non-France client states be picked first (that means avoid Switzerland, Ligurian Republic, Batavian Republic possibly, the Republic of Italy possibly); preferably I'd like the major nations picked first and then the smaller but important states picked next (Bavaria, Portugal, Baden, Wurttemburg, Saxony, Denmark-Norway, Sweden etc).

Thanks for help in advance.

Online BabyJesus

• General
  • #1 Cringe poster and lover of Anna Kendrick
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Most Average MVP of All Time
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2016, 02:06:51 am »
i am going to reserve France and Russia and great britain and austira and prussia
1st NWPC S2(21st)|(1st) 5v5 Draft~NA GroupFighting Tournament  |1st♕Rex's 6v6 Tournament | 1st TNWL S2(71st) | 1st NWL S5 (58e) | 3rd place Sleeks 5v5 (Highschoole DxD)
You are by far the best average player to touch this game.
Quote from: Risk
The BEST average player of all time

Offline Volk

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2016, 03:24:25 am »
Just a heads up, I hope to get the game ready to play by this Sunday/Monday. However, if work permits I might be able to have the BoP ready by the weekend or even Friday.

Edit: Sometime next week appears to be what my work schedule will allow. Since I do not want you all to just simply sit here doing nothing however I am going to let you all reserve your nations. There is a list of priority which will detail which nations I would like taken first & which ones I'd like people to avoid.

Nation Reservation Priority List

1. All of the major nations.
2. Coalition Nations: Naples-Sicily, Kingdom of Sweden
3. Major minor nations: Kingdom of Denmark-Norway, Kingdom of Etruria, Kingdom of Portugal, Papal States, Kingdom of Sardinia
4. French German allies (Be warned, these nations may be annexed and form the Confederation of the Rhine): Electorate of Baden, Electorate of Wurttemberg, Electorate of Bavaria, Electorate of Saxony, Hesse-Kessel
5. French Client States (I'd prefer people not to play these, specifically Italy, because they are almost always annexed by France) : Batavian Republic, Swiss Confederation, Republic of Italy, Ligurian Republic

[close]
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 04:02:22 am by Volk »

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
Re: BoP: Napoleonic Wars (Out-of-character Thread) [Reservations Open]
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2016, 04:04:58 am »
France pretty please.

Also so you decided to make the Barbary states independent even though their sort of part of the Ottoman Empire?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 04:21:39 am by Furrnox »