Author Topic: What would you have been?  (Read 52021 times)

Offline Ghost9447

• First Lieutenant
  • A Pickle
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: What would you have been?
« Reply #285 on: January 14, 2016, 06:55:00 am »
I think thats the best thing
I'm not going to spam anymore. I've tried to stop Ghost by fighting him with his own weapons - but I've failed. The Messhall is his again.

Offline Salcos

• First Lieutenant
  • Deus Vult, Romans 12:11, Κύριε Ελέησον
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Salcos
  • Side: Union
« Reply #286 on: January 15, 2016, 07:14:14 am »
Since I come from family of explorers to the new world, then realistically I guess I would be that, but yeah, we would most likely be some poor farmer.
I hate it when people pass me a cup by holding on to the rim of it...

Offline habsburg

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: kk_KR_Nr4_ViCpl_Habsburg
« Reply #287 on: March 27, 2016, 07:35:00 pm »
I would be Austrian General, my family was ruling over Austria in this period of time.

Offline Ghost9447

• First Lieutenant
  • A Pickle
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 27, 2016, 11:41:59 pm »
i would be a medieval-ish troll and duuring would propably hang me
I'm not going to spam anymore. I've tried to stop Ghost by fighting him with his own weapons - but I've failed. The Messhall is his again.

Offline Bravescot

• The WoR Avatar Guy
  • Donator
  • The rank icon guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 28, 2016, 02:19:55 am »
Due to my high and due to having an education I'd hopefully end up a Grenadier Officer. An officer due to family connections and the funds to buy a junior commission.

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #290 on: March 28, 2016, 06:04:32 am »
Well...I can trace my ancestors beck to that time and they were bankers profiting off of Napoleon's wars and funding both sides. So yeah, while everyone here are dying on the battlefield I'd probably be doing that.

Offline OttoFIN

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 28, 2016, 11:46:56 am »
Due to my high and due to having an education I'd hopefully end up a Grenadier Officer. An officer due to family connections and the funds to buy a junior commission.
Stop dreaming boy and go harvest me some potatoes.

Offline The Mighty McLovin

• Deserves a better title than this
  • Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #292 on: March 28, 2016, 11:53:01 am »

I agree, everyone on this forum has education (I hope) but your family had to be really, really aristocratic.  Commissions were worth a lot of money.

Offline Pau Catacumbes

• Private
  • Viurem lliures o morirem!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: PauCat
« Reply #293 on: March 28, 2016, 01:27:07 pm »
As I am from Catalonia (northern Spain) land of historical militias like Almogavers and Miquelets.
I would be a skirmish militia, hiding in the woods awaiting for the signal to ambush French armies crossing the forest.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 01:32:33 pm by Pau Catacumbes »
"No olvideis la sangre derramada por nuestras discordias politicas"
General Prim - 1869

Offline Bravescot

• The WoR Avatar Guy
  • Donator
  • The rank icon guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 28, 2016, 03:36:03 pm »

I agree, everyone on this forum has education (I hope) but your family had to be really, really aristocratic.  Commissions were worth a lot of money.
Aye, so most of us have the makings for a junior commission!

Commissions were worth a lot of money at first (The first purchase of rank was the most expensive) but after that all you had to do was pay the difference in cost between your current rank and the next rank above making it a little cheaper. It was still very expensive though as you say. Also you really didn't have to be very aristocratic. Arthur Wellesley for example was not incredibly aristocratic when he gained his first commission and was actually in debt for much of his young years due to it and him trying to buy higher commissions. So long as you had the money you'd often take you.

(I spotted that I put "due to my high" I meant "due to my height")
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 03:38:14 pm by Bravescot »

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 28, 2016, 06:19:49 pm »
Most British officers were insanely in debt. There wasn't much to do besides gamble away whatever you earned (and more). Being a junior officer wasn't really about earning your living, it was about doing a sorta useful and not totally disgraceful job until you either found yourself at a high enough station to actually make more money then you could spend, or use it as a way to lift yourself in a position of importance. First sons didn't join the army, not as officers and not as enlisted men.

Offline DeadEye

• Second Lieutenant
  • Old Nr7 Oberst
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Nr7_DeadEye
« Reply #296 on: July 25, 2016, 06:52:57 pm »
I don't know what I would be.. Need help!

my family were middle class Farmers in the Brandenburg area. I assume I wouldn't have had a very high education. I'm 16 and 193 Cm tall weighing around 160 pounds. and quite nimble as I am ranked 20th best hurdler in my state.  I was thinking Light infantry but I looked through the thread to find I am probably wayy to tall for that line of work.

sorry for the necro!

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
« Reply #297 on: August 03, 2016, 04:27:55 pm »
I don't know what I would be.. Need help!

my family were middle class Farmers in the Brandenburg area. I assume I wouldn't have had a very high education. I'm 16 and 193 Cm tall weighing around 160 pounds. and quite nimble as I am ranked 20th best hurdler in my state.  I was thinking Light infantry but I looked through the thread to find I am probably wayy to tall for that line of work.

sorry for the necro!

Way too tall to be light infantry, my friend. You'd fit in more with the grenadiers. As for coming from middle class farmers in Brandenburg, you'd be better off than most poor city folk and small time tennant farmers, but not by miles. A common grenadier, that's what you would be.
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness

Offline PeterKarlOttVonBartokez

• Private
  • I am Theodaric! I make skin packs and maps.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Don Luis Hidalgo de Córdoba
« Reply #298 on: August 04, 2016, 10:08:28 am »
Being honest we have to put this in context, people we shorter back then, thus it is un-likely that many of us will end up being Line Infantry or Light Infantry. Also, what classes for middle class? I would put lower middle at maybe an earning of £35,000 for a family, but I don't know. Going at that rate, I am just about Lower Middle Class, and it is recorded, that although they may not have been able to afford comissions, often families of the lower middle and middle classes found benifactors to help fund for comissions, so, it is most likely I would have been a Private or Lieutenant, now of which branch is another matter: I am quite Intellectual, I know a lot about military history and I am quite thin about 5' 10", so, I think either a Private, (depending on how far my education would've went), or a Lieutenant depending on whether or not my family was able to find a benifactor for me.
Gott erhalte Franz den Kaiser,
unsern guten Kaiser Franz!
Hoch als Herrscher, hoch als Weiser
steht er in des Ruhmes Glanz.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 10, 2016, 02:11:47 am »
Size wasn't actually that important. It's not like 5 cms more will get you automatically far more likely to get killed then the other person also wearing bright uniforms and a big black hat. Research in the French Registers clearly show men of 'wrong' heights in various units, just like it clearly shows men without the necessary experience being recruited into the Guard.