Author Topic: Developer Blog 2 - Regiment/Clan System  (Read 48344 times)

Offline Desparin

• Sergeant Major
  • Bullets have the right of way!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 88th_Pte_Ralph_Fitzgerald
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Developer Blog 2 - Regiment/Clan System.
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2012, 03:23:03 pm »
My question stands not as we would run out of immigrant regiment but what happens when 2 groups want the same name instead of a heap of cannon fodder regiment from NY ( no offenses Irish and blacks ).

I do stand by calling the groups something other than regimet.

I figure we'd do the same thing we do in NW. Besides, what would we do to differentiate.. say, one company of the 33rd VA from another, beyond the company designation? (Some tags in NW are bad enough. 1stEPI/FKI/WPI/WFI syndrome.)

Also, if we became single companies of regiments, the over-representation of the immigrant regiments would be increased tenfold (Literally.).

(Don't take that the wrong way. The Irish, English, Scots, Germans, Poles, Frenchmen, and the men of all the other nationalities that served on both sides were brave men. However, they've recently been over-represented in both games and the study of history itself, at the expense of the histories of the many hundreds of regiments that were made up of Americans.)

Sorry to put a downer on things - but there were a fair few regiments commanded by non-American officers, and not to forget to mention that many men serving in "American" regiments were perhaps only one or two generations removed from being termed as immigrants themselves.

Offline PhonieX

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 91st_Pte_Willson_Curray
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2012, 03:56:23 pm »
Mhm, delicious:)
2 time Groupfighting Winner
1 time Regimental Gf Winner
2 time NWL league winner

Offline TheBoberton

• Knight of Blueberry
  • Colonel
  • I don't want no pardon for anything I done
    • View Profile
    • Thomas' Steam Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2012, 04:10:52 pm »
Sorry to put a downer on things - but there were a fair few regiments commanded by non-American officers, and not to forget to mention that many men serving in "American" regiments were perhaps only one or two generations removed from being termed as immigrants themselves.

Aye.

That's precisely why I am now advocating labeling every regiment 'Irish'.

It'd work, right? Be historically accurate, too!

I was referring to 'American' regiments, in that they were regiments that claimed no national identity, other than the nation which they fought for.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
  • Side: Union
« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2012, 05:36:19 pm »
We have a board and enough goodies from donating. Honestly being able to customize your rank in game is silly and honestly I wouldn't want to be "seperate" or "special" from anyone else because I donated.

Nor would I allow that to happen...

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2012, 12:32:26 am »
Is there any plans or generally agreed idea regarding how new are taken. Lets say some key makes the 2nd Maine and goes inactive and a couple months later somebody wishes to make the 2nd Maine but can't due to a group already have been made. Will there be a way to possibly remove old groups? I think a group of volunteer admins could police this problem. Say there is a Forum where u submit a request for a group to be deleted and admin looks Into it.
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline DaPurpleUnicorn

• Volunteer
  • Da Best Unicorn ever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Purp-Unicorn
« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2012, 01:15:11 am »
will u have different ranks for detachments for instance if a reg has a arty, line and skirm detachment will players be put in the detachments and have differnet ranks for being in that detachment
so an arty private is an arty guard
and a skirm private is a hunter
while the line is just a private
or will all detachments have the same ranks

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: the mic rula; the old schoola
« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2012, 01:28:24 am »
 A recommendation: I think there should be a list of ranks as default, but they can be renamed, removed, and added by leaders, to work specifically for that regiment. The creator of a regiment group should get the ability to change settings in what players can receive certain classes + benefits, as well as being able to change the "creator rank" to someone else.

Offline Melmil

• Second Lieutenant
  • Since when are we entitled to anything?
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 76th_Ojajajsjsjs_Hans
« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2012, 01:34:02 am »
A recommendation: I think there should be a list of ranks as default, but they can be renamed, removed, and added by leaders, to work specifically for that regiment.
To me, this sounds like the best medium between the two suggestions at this point. I'd agree with that.

The creator of a regiment group should get the ability to change settings in what players can receive certain classes + benefits, as well as being able to change the "creator rank" to someone else.
So when you say that the creator would be able to change settings in what players can receive certain classes and benefits, do you mean that the regiment leader would be able to control who is able to play as any of the classes, a drummer for example? I'm afraid I didn't quite understand what you meant.

Offline MackCW

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 27, 2012, 01:35:50 am »
We have a board and enough goodies from donating. Honestly being able to customize your rank in game is silly and honestly I wouldn't want to be "seperate" or "special" from anyone else because I donated.

Nor would I allow that to happen...

Although that golden Enfield, with diamond bands/sights and a platinum bayonet that you're handing out on the donators board is appreciated  ;D

Spoiler
I'm joking of course
[close]
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 01:56:03 am by MackCW »

Offline Karth

• Donator
  • General of 63e| NW Official Admin
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 63e_General_Karth
« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2012, 02:00:22 am »
A recommendation: I think there should be a list of ranks as default, but they can be renamed, removed, and added by leaders, to work specifically for that regiment. The creator of a regiment group should get the ability to change settings in what players can receive certain classes + benefits, as well as being able to change the "creator rank" to someone else.

Or maybe a leader can start a poll on which rank they would like to either add/change/delete whatever, and other leaders may have the chance to vote on that so that it becomes the default.  The leader would also probably have to provide a rationale for the change, and include sources if its historically accurate or whatever..

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: the mic rula; the old schoola
« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2012, 02:48:24 am »

Or maybe a leader can start a poll on which rank they would like to either add/change/delete whatever, and other leaders may have the chance to vote on that so that it becomes the default.  The leader would also probably have to provide a rationale for the change, and include sources if its historically accurate or whatever..

Not all regiment/regiment leaders want to use the same ranks, so I don't think they have to use all the same ranks. It should be formatted to work for specific regiments, otherwise, special ranks that are regiment specific, whatever they may be, wouldn't be available. I also think that sub-groups/detachments/regiments should be available. The most obvious one would be artillery, or skirmishers, or cavalry, but it also extends to things such as the Zouave Cadets for the 11thNY, which functions with separate ranks from the rest of 11thNY. So I think there should be sub-systems in the regimental ranking structures, and I understand that this works for some regiments and their artillery detachments, for example.
 I think a diagram could help explain... I might work on one later, if this was confusing. I should also include that the format of a regiment should be able to change. This works for things like the Tercios (I apologize if I misspelled that). This definitely requires a diagram of sorts, I'll be sure to make one later.

Offline MackCW

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2012, 01:34:32 pm »
On the Regiment/Clan page of the BCoF, could it be easier for the leader to make his rank structure and share it with his community like a custom skin.

Offline Rejenorst

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2012, 05:59:25 am »
Although that golden Enfield, with diamond bands/sights and a platinum bayonet that you're handing out on the donators board is appreciated  ;D

Spoiler
I'm joking of course
[close]

Platinum bayonet? Do I sense a steam achievement around the corner? Haha
would be amusing: Rusty Bayonet achievement (stab 25+), silver bayonet (+50), platinum bayonet (100+), Gold Bayonet (200+), Diamond Encrusted Bayonet (300+), Bling Bling Bayonet (insane +).

Lol Iunno I just like the sound of Platinum Bayonet.
Spoiler

[close]

Offline T.Conroy

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Blep
« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2012, 03:01:49 am »
haha yes rej that would be so good

Offline Jacob

• Alpha Tester
  • Back after a long long time away :)
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Jacob
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2012, 01:20:16 pm »
Zomg want noww