Author Topic: 2v2 Tournie format discussion  (Read 8017 times)

Offline Gi

• General
  • #freepoland
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Snappers_Gi
  • Side: Neutral
Re: 2v2 Tournie format discussion
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2021, 03:17:28 pm »
@Rikkert

The whole argument you brought makes perfect sense however I can't help but find your perspective of the whole 'stacked teams' extremely biased. Like yeah, I think any sensed people would agree with your ranking of the current possible top teams however, it's a bit rich somehow the 77y isn't listed in there but the 45thN is, whereas they just drew each other last week in EIC. Like your duo is fine but somehow any other possible top team is to be ruled out because it's 'too strong'?

I know you probably mean well and just want to avoid a stack that would stomp any opposition and obviously, we all know you and the 77y are a team of regiments that play together because they like each other, not because they care about the win. I would also like to have the returning champions come back to defend their title, seems ever fitting. But somehow, I just feel a bit uncomfortable that a potential team ranking including the 45thN as a top team, but not the 77y, had to come from you.

Generally speaking, I agree with the overall sentiment though. I don't like the idea of random pairing and would very much prefer that regiments like the 45thN/92nd get either the possibility to play with two lines of their owns (like Mask suggested) or form a coalition/duo with regiments they enjoy playing with (like the 92nd/33rd runner-up team of last edition). Rather than putting a load of restriction on the way people are allowed to form teams, why not just try to prevent what's obviously an attempt at abusing the tournament's format instead of limiting a 'potentially strong' but genuine coalition of two regiments that would enjoy playing together.

As an example, the 13e/96y teaming-up would make zero sense considering both regiments have little to nothing in common, that I have always clearly stated I dislike how 96y approach linebattle competition purely when it comes to tactics/gameplay, we don't have a strong group of players that like one another, etc...; but in another scenario, a team that's potentially (in average at least) as strong could be allowed on the principle that they just want to have a good time together. Rather than restricting for the sake of restricting, I would just prefer seeing Kincaid rely on the opinion of trustable and fair community members to decide on what's to be allowed & forbidden.

With that being said....@Presidente @USE4Life @Kieran, you guys looking for a partner by any chance?  :-*
If the requirement to be a top regiment is to draw in a 1v1 vs 45thn, we might have a lot of top regiments to rule out

Offline ClaSh

• French Pioneer
  • Colonel
  • Opinionated but I'm always spitting straight facts
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [Nr.24] hachiman
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2021, 03:19:12 pm »
some of you need to come down from your ivory towers

Offline Rikkert

• Brigadier General
  • Zout!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2021, 03:19:33 pm »
@Rikkert

The whole argument you brought makes perfect sense however I can't help but find your perspective of the whole 'stacked teams' extremely biased. Like yeah, I think any sensed people would agree with your ranking of the current possible top teams however, it's a bit rich somehow the 77y isn't listed in there but the 45thN is, whereas they just drew each other last week in EIC. Like your duo is fine but somehow any other possible top team is to be ruled out because it's 'too strong'?

I know you probably mean well and just want to avoid a stack that would stomp any opposition and obviously, we all know you and the 77y are a team of regiments that play together because they like each other, not because they care about the win. I would also like to have the returning champions come back to defend their title, seems ever fitting. But somehow, I just feel a bit uncomfortable that a potential team ranking including the 45thN as a top team, but not the 77y, had to come from you.
Yeah, I see what you mean. Although that was the only match in a while where we've seen 77y do that well. The result was a fair one, but the 45thN got unlucky with shooting in couple of rounds so it could have gone their way quite easily. I'm not saying the 5-5 was a fluke by any means, but I think it is harsh to instantly pretend like the 77y is already back at the same level as the 45th. It was quite clear that the 45thN was the better regiment in terms of melee ability by a major extent, which is what I mostly based my claim off.

If anything, if 77y prove they are a top regiment again by making it far enough in the EIC to be considered a top regiment by the rules of this tournament, you won't hear me object to it if our coalition is not allowed.

Offline Gi

• General
  • #freepoland
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2021, 03:20:33 pm »
might have to be a bit more specific there big dog

Offline maskmanmarks

• Major General
  • Colonel of the 45th Nottinghamshire Regiment
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 45thN_Col_Maskman_Peritz
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2021, 03:28:22 pm »
@Rikkert

Yeah, I see what you mean. Although that was the only match in a while where we've seen 77y do that well. The result was a fair one, but the 45thN got unlucky with shooting in couple of rounds so it could have gone their way quite easily. I'm not saying the 5-5 was a fluke by any means, but I think it is harsh to instantly pretend like the 77y is already back at the same level as the 45th. It was quite clear that the 45thN was the better regiment in terms of melee ability by a major extent, which is what I mostly based my claim off.

If anything, if 77y prove they are a top regiment again by making it far enough in the EIC to be considered a top regiment by the rules of this tournament, you won't hear me object to it if our coalition is not allowed.

This round lives rent free in my head
[close]

We were up 3^ before that volley and lost the round. Ultimately there was that unlucky round and melee that we really shouldn't have lost where we were up 1, but as the great vegetable once said, I say to you @Gaz 'you're not better than us'.

Get Proven
So let’s just ignore someone like Maskman who knows next to nothing about leading and the capabilities of regiments performing well in a linebattle type of event.
To state that anyone on a “good day could beat the 77y/15thYR” is just a meme of its own, if that was the case why don't you beat the 77y or 15thYR then!?

Online Vegi.

• Where is my stack?!
  • General
  • Divide and Conquer
    • View Profile
  • Nick: King of Stack
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2021, 03:30:21 pm »
@Rikkert

This round lives rent free in my head
[close]

We were up 3^ before that volley and lost the round. Ultimately there was that unlucky round and melee that we really shouldn't have lost where we were up 1, but as the great vegetable once said, I say to you @Gaz 'you're not better than us'.

Get Proven
dont use my words when you are not worthy  of it
Stop looking at my posts Fietta #RentFree

The Master of stack, the voice of racism.

Offline Gi

• General
  • #freepoland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2021, 03:41:58 pm »
Personally, I think there is going to be quite a large balance issue no matter what coalition rulings are in place. The top regiments (15th,92nd,45thn,71st,13e) obviously shouldn't be able to play with one another, however, the case can be made that 96y,55th,77y are all top regiments too. The problem I see going forward from this would be that the "best of the rest" (no disrespect) regiments (33rd, Nr13 and IVe) give a significant advantage to the top regiments that get to partner with one of those three, and would leave the other top regiments having to partner with far more casually oriented regiments. Also, despite my support for 45thn, 92nd etc being able to play with their grens and centre companies as one team, I also feel this would give a significant advantage, especially if other top teams are forced to play with more casual oriented regiments.

Long story short this is an extremely difficult tournament to balance correctly and I absolutely do not envy you Kincaid

Online 33rdKincaid

• Major General
  • 33rd_Col_Kincaid
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Kincaid
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2021, 03:50:10 pm »
I think its pretty clear that the randomized format is unpopular, which I am more than happy to walk away from and to stick with the tried and true that we ran with last season. As many have said a stacked team at this point is unlikely to happen in any case due to lack of association between the regs for which this could apply to anyway :)

I suppose now we can move the discussion to something touched on briefly by a few responses; I would like to continue with an upper/lower bracket (or A & B league) so as to offer something for those teams which don't end up making the cut. I must admit I'm not that clued up on the whole double elimination format which EIC seems to have adopted this season - is this something which we'd like to see if we opted for play-offs? I've no doubt we could put together a good exciting league like RGL S7 aswell, it really is going to be quite subjective as to which is better. Might just put a poll on this thread once we've come up with some suitable options.

Long story short this is an extremely difficult tournament to balance correctly and I absolutely do not envy you Kincaid
I'll try my best ;D ;D Either way tbf aslong as its enjoyable for 90% of us thats the end goal!

Offline John Price

• Block guys what is this!?
  • General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2021, 03:55:42 pm »
I think its pretty clear that the randomized format is unpopular, which I am more than happy to walk away from and to stick with the tried and true that we ran with last season. As many have said a stacked team at this point is unlikely to happen in any case due to lack of association between the regs for which this could apply to anyway :)

I suppose now we can move the discussion to something touched on briefly by a few responses; I would like to continue with an upper/lower bracket (or A & B league) so as to offer something for those teams which don't end up making the cut. I must admit I'm not that clued up on the whole double elimination format which EIC seems to have adopted this season - is this something which we'd like to see if we opted for play-offs? I've no doubt we could put together a good exciting league like RGL S7 aswell, it really is going to be quite subjective as to which is better. Might just put a poll on this thread once we've come up with some suitable options.

I'll try my best ;D ;D Either way tbf aslong as its enjoyable for 90% of us thats the end goal!
A double elimination format for this is very unnecessary honestly. I would just stick to single.
Knightmare is from Albania, no?
Sorry, I can't accept this team.

Offline StockholmDE

• Colonel
  • Ex 66th Gren / Former 92nd Grenadier Ens
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Stockholm
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2021, 04:07:28 pm »
A double elimination format is always unnecessary honestly. I would just stick to single.

Offline Kraz

• CIS Spanker
  • Colonel
  • cool guy
    • View Profile
  • Nick: wódka jest fajna
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2021, 04:35:40 pm »
get rekt clash

btw 77y is stronger than last year, you can clearly see it with all the people who recently joined, their performances and their attendance

Offline ClaSh

• French Pioneer
  • Colonel
  • Opinionated but I'm always spitting straight facts
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [Nr.24] hachiman
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2021, 05:11:06 pm »
get rekt clash

btw 77y is stronger than last year, you can clearly see it with all the people who recently joined, their performances and their attendance

woofed

Offline Skittykiller

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Skitty, DOG GAME
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2021, 05:23:20 pm »
55th Could also bring a full team. I would love to join a 2v2 Format Tournament!

Online Nightwing

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2021, 05:32:11 pm »
MRGL 0 win german underdog looking for a big top regiment to carry us, hit me up xx

Offline Tardet

• The NW Historian
  • General
  • Fidelitate et Honore | Fake Hype King
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Tardet
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2021, 07:06:22 pm »
MRGL 0 win german underdog looking for a big top regiment to carry us, hit me up xx
Brothers of the XIII, assemble
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often.