Author Topic: 2v2 Tournie format discussion  (Read 8110 times)

Offline maskmanmarks

• Major General
  • Colonel of the 45th Nottinghamshire Regiment
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 45thN_Col_Maskman_Peritz
  • Side: Neutral
Re: 2v2 Tournie format discussion
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2021, 02:53:32 pm »
I think a 2 Div system might work better, but before you decide anything best just see how many sign ups this gets. That will intice more and more people to "get involved" (-_-).

In fairness Tardet that first video you posted I have ofc seen before but its not a great example of the old times XD

This is why am I most influential 2020
So let’s just ignore someone like Maskman who knows next to nothing about leading and the capabilities of regiments performing well in a linebattle type of event.
To state that anyone on a “good day could beat the 77y/15thYR” is just a meme of its own, if that was the case why don't you beat the 77y or 15thYR then!?

Offline Scottish Unicorn

• Most Beloved In All Of NW
  • Board Moderator
  • Meowing in chat
    • View Profile
    • My Nudes
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2021, 02:56:44 pm »
This year I would like to win kincaid. Ty in advance x

Online Vegi.

• Where is my stack?!
  • General
  • Divide and Conquer
    • View Profile
  • Nick: King of Stack
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2021, 02:57:22 pm »
I think a 2 Div system might work better, but before you decide anything best just see how many sign ups this gets. That will intice more and more people to "get involved" (-_-).

In fairness Tardet that first video you posted I have ofc seen before but its not a great example of the old times XD

This is why am I most influential 2020
You're like Trump...
Stop looking at my posts Fietta #RentFree

The Master of stack, the voice of racism.

Offline Gi

• General
  • #freepoland
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Snappers_Gi
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2021, 02:59:11 pm »
I would like to return to the days of no camping rules with super flat maps so that people can experience true nw pain

Offline John Price

• Block guys what is this!?
  • General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2021, 03:01:57 pm »
These new gens don't know what we went through.

WE WERE THERE, ON THE FRONT LINES!
Knightmare is from Albania, no?
Sorry, I can't accept this team.

Offline Rikkert

• Brigadier General
  • Zout!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2021, 04:25:45 pm »
The only vibes I get from those videos is a bunch of people who can't block charge at each other with very little thought behind it.

Just when I thought you would like it out of all people as it sums up your gameplay to perfection.
:'( why u gotta do me like that
But on a more serious note, the meta of this game has simply evolved beyond what you see in those videos. I don't necessarily believe that the meta you're describing was better or more entertaining, it just seems like complete chaos and randomness to me. Neither do I believe that different or more interesting maps are going to change the meta in any meaningful way. A map being interesting or not does not change whether a weaker regiment can run from melee or not. Yes, retreating up a hill could potentially slow the regiment down, but that seems like such a specific scenario that I doubt the actual impact it would have on the meta. If regiments want to retreat from melee like that, they will simply make sure they're not positioned in a way where their only way of retreat is up a big hill. Tbh, I think it is perfectly understandable for a regiment with weaker melee to run away from the stronger regiment in a 2v2. It is really annoying to play against, but as long as you don't retreat like 2Lr did last time I have nothing against it. I think the map terrain was mostly fine in the last 2v2, although it wouldn't hurt to make the hills slightly more pronounced. You don't want super hilly maps because then the sides will just camp. You also don't want super flat maps with no cover, because then one of the two sides will stand in spawn and shoot. You want slight rolling hills everywhere or alternatively one big hill in the middle that both sides can reach around the same time, with some smaller hills for cover around it. I agree that the maps were definitely too big last time tho, this didn't help the problem of regiments running around the map, but Kincaid already said he was working on that.
I am not denying the meta has evolved but you must be some sort of masochist adept of a dark cult if you actually enjoy the current meta of 1v1/2v2 linebattles more than what you played in 2012/2013. For instance, nobody would argue the game's way more skilled than it used to be in 2012/2014 but thinking what we have now is actually more entertaining - in the literal sense of the word - really surprise me coming from you. I don't argue that it was better as it's purely subjective but as someone who actually played both for years, there is no denying that the way to play linebattles back in the day was more enjoyable. Not more skilled, definitely not more tactical but more enjoyable without a doubt. An indisputable majority of the OG players that came back to the game (leaders especially) will tell you they despise the way the meta evolved and again, it's not necessarily a bias as they will also agree on other indisputable, better aspect of the current competitive community.
I didn't play 1v1s back in 2013, so I can't really judge from anything other than the video's that I've seen. And, yeah I personally hate passive players or passive play in general and I personally really don't like it either when people run away from me. I hate that kinda shit with a passion because it doesn't feel like you're being out-skilled as an individual, just "out-patienced".

But, as a regimental CO , a good part of my personal enjoyment in 1v1s comes from when my regiment wins because it has a coherent line and is disciplined in melee. It is entertaining to me if we win melee fights because people listen to commands and fight properly. For example, if we call for middle to push into a flank and it works, I definitely get a great deal of personal enjoyment from it. I know 1v1 melee isn't the "glorious" all out charge melee as it might have once been. But you have to understand that this regiment is a project that I've invested a lot of time in over the last three years (yes very sad), so when it goes right I get a great deal of personal enjoyment from it. In the RGL final, where 92nd was essentially sitting back and waiting for us to make mistakes, we obviously weren't happy with the manner in which we were losing. Every round was super drawn out and often resulted in two lines spinning in circles and a lot of running around chasing stragglers. We weren't having fun, until we adapted and started doing the same. Mels said something after one of the rounds which stuck with me: "This isn't melee, but I'm actually quite enjoying it". The melee itself is maybe less enjoyable as it is less "glorious" to simply push one flank and up/down everyone that fails to escape whilst the other flank falls back. But that is simply how regimental melee is won and I enjoy it when my regiment does it right.

I understand some older regimental leaders weren't happy with the meta last time they played. (I suppose you're talking about 14e and 84e in the last season) They obviously didn't like it as they weren't used to it, I assume those regiments were expecting the same type of melee as in those videos from 2012. But they also didn't like it because they weren't able or willing to adapt to it, and lost because of it. I can understand that 84e and 14e didn't care enough about the game and weren't around for long enough at the time to want to or to be able to adapt to the meta. They simply didn't care about winning the tournament and didn't have the time to adapt, so from their point of view the matches against us might have been really horrible. But from my point of view, the matches against them were very enjoyable.

Not gonna reply to the rest as we seem to agree on that. I should've read ur first post better.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 04:27:31 pm by Rikkert »

Offline Rikus

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 77y_Gren_Rikus
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2021, 05:25:30 pm »
The only vibes I get from those videos is a bunch of people who can't block charge at each other with very little thought behind it.

Just when I thought you would like it out of all people as it sums up your gameplay to perfection.
But on a more serious note, the meta of this game has simply evolved beyond what you see in those videos. I don't necessarily believe that the meta you're describing was better or more entertaining, it just seems like complete chaos and randomness to me. Neither do I believe that different or more interesting maps are going to change the meta in any meaningful way. A map being interesting or not does not change whether a weaker regiment can run from melee or not. Yes, retreating up a hill could potentially slow the regiment down, but that seems like such a specific scenario that I doubt the actual impact it would have on the meta. If regiments want to retreat from melee like that, they will simply make sure they're not positioned in a way where their only way of retreat is up a big hill. Tbh, I think it is perfectly understandable for a regiment with weaker melee to run away from the stronger regiment in a 2v2. It is really annoying to play against, but as long as you don't retreat like 2Lr did last time I have nothing against it. I think the map terrain was mostly fine in the last 2v2, although it wouldn't hurt to make the hills slightly more pronounced. You don't want super hilly maps because then the sides will just camp. You also don't want super flat maps with no cover, because then one of the two sides will stand in spawn and shoot. You want slight rolling hills everywhere or alternatively one big hill in the middle that both sides can reach around the same time, with some smaller hills for cover around it. I agree that the maps were definitely too big last time tho, this didn't help the problem of regiments running around the map, but Kincaid already said he was working on that.
I am not denying the meta has evolved but you must be some sort of masochist adept of a dark cult if you actually enjoy the current meta of 1v1/2v2 linebattles more than what you played in 2012/2013. For instance, nobody would argue the game's way more skilled than it used to be in 2012/2014 but thinking what we have now is actually more entertaining - in the literal sense of the word - really surprise me coming from you. I don't argue that it was better as it's purely subjective but as someone who actually played both for years, there is no denying that the way to play linebattles back in the day was more enjoyable. Not more skilled, definitely not more tactical but more enjoyable without a doubt. An indisputable majority of the OG players that came back to the game (leaders especially) will tell you they despise the way the meta evolved and again, it's not necessarily a bias as they will also agree on other indisputable, better aspect of the current competitive community.
I didn't play 1v1s back in 2013, so I can't really judge from anything other than the video's that I've seen. And, yeah I personally hate passive players or passive play in general and I personally really don't like it either when people run away from me. I hate that kinda shit with a passion because it doesn't feel like you're being out-skilled as an individual, just "out-patienced".

But, as a regimental CO , a good part of my personal enjoyment in 1v1s comes from when my regiment wins because it has a coherent line and is disciplined in melee. It is entertaining to me if we win melee fights because people listen to commands and fight properly. For example, if we call for middle to push into a flank and it works, I definitely get a great deal of personal enjoyment from it. I know 1v1 melee isn't the "glorious" all out charge melee as it might have once been. But you have to understand that this regiment is a project that I've invested a lot of time in over the last three years (yes very sad), so when it goes right I get a great deal of personal enjoyment from it. In the RGL final, where 92nd was essentially sitting back and waiting for us to make mistakes, we obviously weren't happy with the manner in which we were losing. Every round was super drawn out and often resulted in two lines spinning in circles and a lot of running around chasing stragglers. We weren't having fun, until we adapted and started doing the same. Mels said something after one of the rounds which stuck with me: "This isn't melee, but I'm actually quite enjoying it". The melee itself is maybe less enjoyable as it is less "glorious" to simply push one flank and up/down everyone that fails to escape whilst the other flank falls back. But that is simply how regimental melee is won and I enjoy it when my regiment does it right.

I understand some older regimental leaders weren't happy with the meta last time they played. (I suppose you're talking about 14e and 84e in the last season) They obviously didn't like it as they weren't used to it, I assume those regiments were expecting the same type of melee as in those videos from 2012. But they also didn't like it because they weren't able or willing to adapt to it, and lost because of it. I can understand that 84e and 14e didn't care enough about the game and weren't around for long enough at the time to want to or to be able to adapt to the meta. They simply didn't care about winning the tournament and didn't have the time to adapt, so from their point of view the matches against us might have been really horrible. But from my point of view, the matches against them were very enjoyable.

Not gonna reply to the rest as we seem to agree on that. I should've read ur first post better.

Amen

Offline Tardet

• The NW Historian
  • General
  • Fidelitate et Honore | Fake Hype King
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Tardet
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2021, 10:14:40 pm »
@Rikkert

Tbh melee and the way you described isn't the problem. Unless you push it to the extreme as 96y did it for a while, it never bothered me as what you described is essentially a mix of tactics and skill and that's why we still play this game. The 14e & 84e may have not enjoyed that aspect either but it's never something they expressed to me. It's really only the approach to maps (that comes from regimental 1v1s) and the gameplay of running aways for a good part of the match that pretty much all the OG I have talked with found repulsive and certainly didn't motivate them to stay longer than they had to.

The analogy you found with the RGL match vs 92nd is however well-chosen and helps me understand your point of view even better. Don't have much to argue in that regards, what you said is spot on even though I personally find it a bit disappointing as I am someone who plays 1st) to have fun then close 2nd) to win. Obviously, the two are very much linked together but I have always won by playing in a manner that I found to enjoy and I don't know how I would react if I was put in the situation you were. Would have probably done the exact same tbh but I know it would have hurt my motivation to play on a long-term basis.

Anyhow, another paragraph duet to come down to something we already knew, we mostly agree with each other in the big picture, just small details we see differently.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often.

Offline Rikkert

• Brigadier General
  • Zout!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2021, 10:16:25 pm »
@Rikkert

Tbh melee and the way you described isn't the problem. Unless you push it to the extreme as 96y did it for a while, it never bothered me as what you described is essentially a mix of tactics and skill and that's why we still play this game. The 14e & 84e may have not enjoyed that aspect either but it's never something they expressed to me. It's really only the approach to maps (that comes from regimental 1v1s) and the gameplay of running aways for a good part of the match that pretty much all the OG I have talked with found repulsive and certainly didn't motivate them to stay longer than they had to.

The analogy you found with the RGL match vs 92nd is however well-chosen and helps me understand your point of view even better. Don't have much to argue in that regards, what you said is spot on even though I personally find it a bit disappointing as I am someone who plays 1st) to have fun then close 2nd) to win. Obviously, the two are very much linked together but I have always won by playing in a manner that I found to enjoy and I don't know how I would react if I was put in the situation you were. Would have probably done the exact same tbh but I know it would have hurt my motivation to play on a long-term basis.

Anyhow, another paragraph duet to come down to something we already knew, we mostly agree with each other in the big picture, just small details we see differently.
:-*

Online Vegi.

• Where is my stack?!
  • General
  • Divide and Conquer
    • View Profile
  • Nick: King of Stack
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2021, 10:31:39 pm »
Tbh this is with most of the matches that are played with 1 flank pushing and the other flank falling back. It's not something that got invented in the last 2/1 years.
The meta is not for everyone same when the current melee meta is all about range (IMO) great examples are ExtazZ and his french (and german) friends.

Ofc there were some matches that were annoying, such as the video you showed with the 2Lr. Not every match can be enjoyable or the way everyone prefers like we had an EIC match vs 55th and we kinda felt the same as what you're describing. But the main point I try to make is that there are always good moment and bad moments and every regiment will try to adapt themself to a stronger enemy, so they increase the chance of winning because we are all playing competitively at the end.

With the analogy that you made the RGL final is the same case that happened in the last 2v2. We improvise, we adapt and at the end, we choked. But the 'sitting' back what you said maybe not enjoyable for you but it worked for 14 rounds and most of our players just play like that, so we gotta adapt to that.

I think the 2v2 was really fun and the matches as the semi-final & final were moments we really had to give everything. Some regiments will use cancer tactics to increase their chance of winning and some will just don't.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 10:33:33 pm by Vegi. »
Stop looking at my posts Fietta #RentFree

The Master of stack, the voice of racism.

Offline Eamon

• Major
  • LtCol of the 15th_YR
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Irish
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2021, 12:24:57 pm »

I'm gonna come keep going

Offline DarkTemplar

• Colonel
  • 71st Major, EGS-HeadAdmin, MM-EU-HeadAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Nick: DarkTemplar
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2021, 02:13:39 pm »
As far as I recall one of the the first statements were to have hills, rocks and trees again, to have more variety in playing?

With those included in custom maps, it's far more difficult to run away like we/2Lr did (again sorry for that).
Furthermore on a hilly map it's way more heavier to camp properly, as you hardly have vision onto a smart moving opponent.

Offline Fietta

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 15th_YR_Gren_trot888
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2021, 03:02:41 pm »
Why not just do randomised seedings based on signups; have 4 divisions, and then randomise the first seed with the last seed, second seed with third seed.

So you'd always have the 'worst' teams with the best teams and the upper middle with the lower middle. I dont think having extra brackets solve the issue. Since it's a '2v2', the whole point would be to have two separate regiments, working together to win, having one regiment split into two sorta defeats the purpose of a 2v2, that would just make it a 1v2 with the 1 being a longer split line.

If regiments hate each other after pairing then A. You signed up knowing you could have the possibility of that pairing, B. Solve the dispute by changing them with a similar seed team by liasing with one of the other top seeds to exchange. Or make an algorithm that doesnt match teams up who have issues.

That would make the tournament somewhat randomised and fun.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 03:08:48 pm by Fietta »

Offline StockholmDE

• Colonel
  • Ex 66th Gren / Former 92nd Grenadier Ens
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Stockholm
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2021, 03:15:28 pm »
Why not just do randomised seedings based on signups; have 4 divisions, and then randomise the first seed with the last seed, second seed with third seed.

So you'd always have the 'worst' teams with the best teams and the upper middle with the lower middle. I dont think having extra brackets solve the issue. Since it's a '2v2', the whole point would be to have two separate regiments, working together to win, having one regiment split into two sorta defeats the purpose of a 2v2, that would just make it a 1v2 with the 1 being a longer split line.

If regiments hate each other after pairing then A. You signed up knowing you could have the possibility of that pairing, B. Solve the dispute by changing them with a similar seed team by liasing with one of the other top seeds to exchange. Or make an algorithm that doesnt match teams up who have issues.

Reread the first 2 pages.

Kind Regards trot888

Offline Fietta

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 15th_YR_Gren_trot888
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2021, 03:17:31 pm »

Reread the first 2 pages.

Kind Regards trot888

Yup I did and all I see is people advocating playing with their own regiment and pairings due to elitism.

Worst comes worse, if people complain about the minute difference between the seedings, you can make a full seeding where the top seed of division A matches with the bottom of division D unless there's a dispute.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 03:21:44 pm by Fietta »