Author Topic: Questions about Reenacting  (Read 14597 times)

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Questions about Reenacting
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2013, 08:32:02 pm »
Surely you don't expect them to buy a different hat for every event?

That is something a lot of farbs say. They know its wrong but say "Good enough." (I am not calling you a farb by the way)

The cavalryman has no excuse for why he fell in with an infantry unit in a scenario that was an infantry assault.

One of the most important parts of reenacting is portraying things that actually happened. A lot of farbs don't care about unit portrayals. A good progressive unit will research whoever they are portraying and change their impression based on that research. Like at Maryland my Maryland, we portrayed 4 different regiments.(Different portrayals for each scenario.) So I brought my forage cap and my generic infantry uniform for the first two scenarios. For the Cornfield scenario, I brought my dress hat and a full pack because that was historically accurate for that battle. After the cornfield, I switched to my forage cap so we could portray another regiment.

At the upcoming Chancellorsville event, we will be portraying four different units for the four different scenario. We have a slightly different impression for each. I haven't started my research yet on those units but what I know so far is that I will need to have 4 different corps badges.

Over the course of the sesquicentennial, I have only portrayed the regiment that our unit is named after once. Most farby units are the opposite. They will portray their regiment even when they are assigned a different portrayal for that scenario. Examples, someone wearing regimental specific brass when they are supposed to be portraying another unit. Bringing their units flag to an event even though they aren't portraying them. there are tons of examples.

In ACW, where one can change units by replacing a badge of their uniform or wear a different hat, I can see why things are more 'strict'.
However, this is very uncommon here, because uniforms were so different. It's done, sometimes, but it's never completely accurate. Which is why I don't see anything wrong with it.

Difference (And advantage) of period, I suppose.

Offline Odysseus

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2013, 09:00:27 pm »
And to Odysseus:
First off, you're in Canada right? And are you part of a unit, or are there any in your area that you have considered joining?
Yes, I'm Canadian, 13 Years Old, there are 2 reenactment groups in my area, that are on the internet, both are British American Revolution groups. One, seems more farb then the other but I don't have many options.

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2013, 10:50:27 pm »
dordak do you potray the 28thMA? A guy in the FKI does. Lives in massachusets
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Bluehawk

• Sergeant Major
  • чекмень - шаровары - шашка
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2013, 10:53:47 pm »
Spoiler
[close]

I do not agree. This regiment can't help it a cavalryman without a horse just happened to walk by their regiment, and neither is the length of hair a good definition of 'farbness'. Were there any regulations about it? More importantly, did the men follow those rules?

Says the young man with farby hair.

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2013, 11:06:31 pm »
Id say I can outfarbe him with my afro  :P

Also im glad to see an active thread on this forum! Also I uploaded a video of my kit on my youtube acocunt called DriestBiscuit.
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2013, 11:18:27 pm »
Spoiler
[close]

I do not agree. This regiment can't help it a cavalryman without a horse just happened to walk by their regiment, and neither is the length of hair a good definition of 'farbness'. Were there any regulations about it? More importantly, did the men follow those rules?

You don't agree? Is that sarcasm? He didn't just walk by. He appears to be with them for some time. You really don't find this farby? Even if he did just walk by, why was there a single dismounted cavalryman attacking the sunken road at Antietam anyway?
Spoiler

[close]

I would also say that the majority of Civil War soldiers cut their hair short to reduce lice and improve hygiene.

I will also add this photo:
Spoiler
[close]

Notice that you can see sprigs of boxwood on their hats. This was only done at Fredericksburg. There are also kepis on some of the men which is incorrect.

Surely you don't expect them to buy a different hat for every event?

About the hair - Exactly, a majority. That doesn't mean it's inaccurate, does it?

On the cavarlyman: my apologies, I only saw this one picture. Then, it's defend able, as ACW cavalry fought a lot on foot. Not saying it's accurate portrayal - yet it did happen.
One man, by the way, is nothing. There are a few regiments here in Napoleonic Europa who portray cavalry regiments, but without the horses. Imagine six Prussian hussar in full parade uniform, skirmishing with French voltigeurs. Yes, it looks ridiculous.

Duuring, if you take a look at that picture again and the few other Dordak posted. You will notice that he is being a NCO of that Company. Now I know dismounted cavalry wouldnt just go in the line and maintain order in the regiment. If he's a NCO of that company, meaning hes a full time dedicated member of that Company then he's wearing the wrong damn uniform. I honestly believe that one Prussian Hussar in full parade uniform skirmishing among the Voltigeurs is still out of place ridiculous.     

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2013, 11:39:50 pm »

Duuring, if you take a look at that picture again and the few other Dordak posted. You will notice that he is being a NCO of that Company. Now I knowv dismounted cavalry wouldnt just go in the line and maintain order in the regiment. If he's a NCO of that company, meaning hes a full time dedicated member of that Company then he's wearing the wrong damn uniform. I honestly believe that one Prussian Hussar in full parade uniform skirmishing among the Voltigeurs is still out of place ridiculous.   

If he is indeed a member of that group, I take all my words back and say he's a very farby farb.

About those hussars:
In my humble opinion, at least in nap. people shouldn't portray cavalry if they aren't going to get horses. Dragoons excepted.
Spoiler
[close]

Says the young man with farby hair.
Dutch troops were famous for their long blond hair.

More importanty, short hair looks awful on me.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 11:43:59 pm by Duuring »

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2013, 11:58:37 pm »
I am incredibly confused as to what to get as a beginner. Could someone help me? I'm going to be Union. I'm looking for semi-cheap, but good equipment. The gun I'll worry about later. I'm more interested in equipment. Links would help a lot, like if you know one site that has a good blouse, and another that has a good hat, 2 separate links would be nice.

Offline König

• Major
  • A major König
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Koenig
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2013, 12:06:56 am »
And to Odysseus:
First off, you're in Canada right? And are you part of a unit, or are there any in your area that you have considered joining?
Yes, I'm Canadian, 13 Years Old, there are 2 reenactment groups in my area, that are on the internet, both are British American Revolution groups. One, seems more farb then the other but I don't have many options.
OK, mind linking their websites (just curious)? Do you already have any kit (I'm assuming no)? As for other options, there is obviously the drums, if you haven't tried that already. It really depends on the unit and what ages they accept. Some will accept 13-14 year-olds but only as musicians. Meanwhile, others may have different standards. Are there any events coming up in your area that they will be going to? If so, it's best to get there and speak with one/both of the units there and see what they can do for you (and if you are a good fit for the unit, and if it's a good fit for you).

kpet:
Take in mind I'm not an ACW reenactor, but from my experience in other eras, I would suggest boots first (since they can be hard to borrow, what with needing a specific size and all). Next the trousers (again, do to size issues, it's harder to borrow them). Then a jacket/blouse/sack coat (since this is easier to find a size that you can borrow from someone).  A hat last (not counting leather gear items like a cartridge pouch and sling, I don't know about that stuff). Since it's probably easier to borrow a spare hat than anything else.

Expect to borrow a lot of gear when you first start-off!. ALSO: Find a unit before buying anything! They will not only likely have gear for you to borrow, but they can also help you more on where to buy gear, especially if that unit had any specific items they wore (or didn't wear).
I don't trust anything but pizza from a pizza place.

Offline Dordak_the_Lost

• Donator
  • Faugh a Ballagh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2013, 12:10:38 am »
I am incredibly confused as to what to get as a beginner. Could someone help me? I'm going to be Union. I'm looking for semi-cheap, but good equipment. The gun I'll worry about later. I'm more interested in equipment. Links would help a lot, like if you know one site that has a good blouse, and another that has a good hat, 2 separate links would be nice.

First, fina a unit that you want to join. Then, email that unit and find out if they have any gear they can loan you and if you can fall in with them. This will allow you to try reenacting and meet the unit before you make any investments in the hobby. They can also help you to find quality gear if you do decide to join.

A common mistake with fresh fish is to go out and buy hundreds of dollars worth of gear only to find out they don't like reenacting or their gear is no good.

Offline Odysseus

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2013, 12:39:34 am »
And to Odysseus:
OK, mind linking their websites (just curious)? Do you already have any kit (I'm assuming no)? As for other options, there is obviously the drums, if you haven't tried that already. It really depends on the unit and what ages they accept. Some will accept 13-14 year-olds but only as musicians. Meanwhile, others may have different standards. Are there any events coming up in your area that they will be going to? If so, it's best to get there and speak with one/both of the units there and see what they can do for you (and if you are a good fit for the unit, and if it's a good fit for you).
The group I'm supicious about: http://kingsorangerangers.com/
Some of their photos contain musicians armed with muskets, which drove me crazy, maybe it was just that.
The other one has contact info, but not much of a proper website.

I'm just curious as to if there are any other accurate positions for someone my age, par musician.

Also... Military reenactments in my province... Are a little short on people  :P
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6Uti57leck[/youtube]
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 12:47:45 am by Odysseus »

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2013, 02:53:10 am »

My dad got this. Kepi is bleh but everything else seems good.
http://www.crescentcitysutler.com/packages.html

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2013, 03:53:36 am »
That's everything I'll need to basically start off? I'd probably get a Hardee or Forage cap, I like how they look more.

So, the federal and the "leather" is what I'll need to start? Guns, I'll worry about later.

Offline König

• Major
  • A major König
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Koenig
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2013, 03:55:39 am »
Again, check with your unit first. Some units wore mostly Hardee's, while other's mainly wore Forage caps. So it really depends on what unit you portray.
I don't trust anything but pizza from a pizza place.

Offline Dordak_the_Lost

• Donator
  • Faugh a Ballagh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2013, 04:03:20 am »
Again, check with your unit first. Some units wore mostly Hardee's, while other's mainly wore Forage caps. So it really depends on what unit you portray.

I completely agree. Don't buy anything until you have tried an event and met the unit you are joining. They will then be able to help guide you away from bad sutlers.

Ask the unit to see if they have any loaner gear.