Author Topic: 2nd Natal Mounted Rifles [EU] (recruiting)  (Read 3360 times)

Offline Angry_Piper

• Sergeant
  • Always shoot the officer
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Angry Piper
  • Side: Neutral
2nd Natal Mounted Rifles [EU] (recruiting)
« on: January 09, 2013, 06:23:13 am »

2nd Natal Mounted Rifles
The 2nd 'Volunteer' Mounted Rifle company to serve the British army during the Anglo-Zulu War. The Mounted rifles employ skimish tactics, they are excellent marksmen and are very mobile, perfect for annoying the hell out of Zulu's.

Some Noteworthy History
Soon afterwards came the most exciting incident in Cpl. Ashby's career. The force he was attached to was ordered to capture Umbeline's stronghold, on the top of Zhlobane Mountain. They were 500 strong, and in charge of Col. Weatherly. The only chance of reaching the summit was by scaling a narrow pass. The Zulus, armed with rifles and assegais, fought bard to prevent the British force reaching the top. but by making the attack at day break, the latter, in the face of tremendous obstacles, attained their object. A rapid breakfast was being partaken, when it was discovered that the mountain was surrounded by a vast horde of Zulus. An attempt was made to descend on the his little party endeavoured to fight their way down, and at last he and a man named Andrew Gemmell, now living in New Zealand, were the only ones left. With their faces to the foe, firing as they retired, they kept the Zulus at bay. Then an unfortunate thing happened, Cpl. Ashby's rifle burst, but,- fortunately for him, Col. Buller, afterwards Sir Redvers Buller, who was one of the, party, came galloping by, and offered to 'take him up behind him. Col. Buller was a heavy man, and his horse was a light one, and realizing this, Cpl. Ashby declined his generous offer. But the Colonel stayed with him, and, Cpl. Ashby having picked up a rifle and ammunition from a fallen comrade, the two men retired, firing whenever a foeman showed himself. They eventually reached the main camp, and for this service, ns well as for saving the lives of two fellow-officers on the same occasion, Col. Buller received the Victoria Cross. Out of 500 men who made the attack on the Zjilobane Mountain, more than, 300 met their death. The next day the battle of Campbell's Hill was fought, and shortly afterwards the battle of Ulundi took place, when the British force, under Lord Chelmsford,. Inflicted a terrible defeat on the enemy. This was Cpl. Ashby's last fight. Within 12 days Cetewayo was captured and the war was over. Cpl. Ashby subsequently came to Australia.

About the Regiment
This is a newly set up regiment for the Anglo-Zulu War mod. It'll be a relaxed regiment attending a couple of events a week and hopefully having lots of fun. If you are interested in joining a mounted rifle regiment then please either contact me through this thread or add my steam Angry_Piper. This regiment is open to all timezones though it shall be based in the EU

Applications
All aplicants accepted so long as they obey these rules:
1. They have an amazing mustache (sideburns also accepted)
2. Must obey all orders no matter how bizarre
3. If your horse runs off then go get it

Soon to be famous Quotes

"Those Zulus are in need of bullets"

"oh damn there goes my horse"
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 05:25:12 am by Angry_Piper »

Offline James Grant

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: 2nd Natal Mounted Rifles [EU] (recruiting)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 10:03:08 am »
I know you've changed the name but I put time into the stickied list so you wouldn't have to make up a regiment,still good luck.

Offline Wolfy

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm not crazy. The people in my head told me.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wolfy
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 10:33:11 am »
Best of luck!

Offline Angry_Piper

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 02:48:17 pm »
I know you've changed the name but I put time into the stickied list so you wouldn't have to make up a regiment,still good luck.

The 2nd  Natal mounted rifles did actually exist but they were actually a south African regiment which although it evolved frm one of the volunteer regiments in the Zulu wars it was only officially a south African unit used in the Anglo boer war. I had another look at your list and noticed that I missed the 2 actual mounted rifle companies because I was looking in the irregular and not volunteer section. Thanks for pointing that out and I may well change the name at some point.

Offline James Grant

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 10:34:37 pm »
Well there were some really great regiments like the Natal Carbineers and many more,I can give you full and concise information on any.

Offline Flash

• Second Lieutenant
  • Bang On!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Flash
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 11:35:19 pm »
Grant just wants to feel loved.

Offline Angry_Piper

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 03:50:06 am »
Yeah, that would be great natal carabineers sounds good. I was also looking at the Victoria mounted rifles which were on your list. In the meantime though I've joined up with 94th scotch brigade and the reg is going to become a company within the 94th so we can share resources. You don't know any Scottish mounted rifle regiments?  :) or anything that might have been attached as volunteers?

Offline James Grant

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 10:05:47 am »
Not in South Africa ;)

Offline Conlord

• Private
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 04:19:11 pm »
You realize the 94th Scotch Brigade is Mainly Northern English in its enlisted men.

Offline Flash

• Second Lieutenant
  • Bang On!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Flash
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 04:27:59 pm »
You realize the 94th Scotch Brigade is Mainly dead because ZULUUUU.

Fixed.