Author Topic: Internet Sources on Napoleonic Era for Personal Project  (Read 2777 times)

Offline Colonel Howe

• Donator
  • There isn't a noose tight enough
    • View Profile
    • People's History Podcast
  • Nick: Noah
  • Side: Neutral
Internet Sources on Napoleonic Era for Personal Project
« on: November 29, 2015, 05:21:35 am »
Hey guys, if you do not know, I run a history podcast called The People's History podcast. The latest era I decided to cover was the life of Napoleon Bonaparte. I've primarily been using one or two book sources as a I go to tell the story but I feel as though it's slow, unenjoyable, and sloppy

I figured if anyone knew good websites that gave narrative history, military specifics, or first hand accounts I could quote, it would be FSEers

The next episode I'm doing is planning to go from the Egyptian Campaign to Austerlitz so any sites that focus around there would be appreciated

Thanks for your help, it truly is appreciated
Fuck off, Nazi scum

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Mortier
  • Side: Union
Re: Internet Sources on Napoleonic Era for Personal Project
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 01:19:57 pm »
It'd probably be better to flick through so of the latest biographies, Andrew Roberts released a big biography last year called 'Napoleon the Great' which is apparently very good.

Offline Colonel Howe

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 03:02:49 pm »
EDITED (sorry was half asleep when I typed before)

I am using Roberts book as my main source but since my memory is shit, I'm reading it as I go and as I write. The book is great but I'd like to get some internet sources about some of the more nuanced things (like uniform specifics) and first hand accounts.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 07:43:11 pm by Colonel Howe »
Fuck off, Nazi scum

Offline Black Watch 1745

• Captain
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 01:11:08 am »
Well this little website is quite good and covers pretty much every campaign and combatant:
 http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/
  In terms of books there is the old biography of Napoleon by Georges Lefebvre. It is quite a hefty read though and the writer was of the Marxist school (then again, I can't think of many historians post 1920's that are not Marxists).
  For uniforms Osprey is always the best, I think you can get some of their books as ebooks. They have done several books on the armies of the era, including Napoleons army in Egypt. Off hand I know that the French adopted a rather unusual uniform whilst in Egypt. If you want to see a good documentary then PBS did a four part series back in c.2000. All four parts are on YouTube.
  I am currently doing a dissertation on the Duke of Wellington's Army so if you need anything on that then I will see what I can dig up.
]

Offline Colonel Howe

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 05:37:19 am »
Thanks Black Watch, appreciate it
Fuck off, Nazi scum

Offline Seegert

• Private
  • Lieutenant & Adjutant/Pgp
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Pgp_Lt_Imperial_Mercury
  • Side: Union
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 07:05:02 pm »
If you get a chance you should try to find stuff about the Bavarian Army during the Napoleonic Wars because their is not a lot of Info I have seen on the Web or anywhere. I mean I kinda of interested in like the military organization, tactics, ranks, and battles they fought.  If you could find these things I would be most obliged it is truly a egg hunt to find this info and I have been searching for some time.
(My Own Quote)
"The Art of Diplomacy is greater then that of the Art of War"
(My Favorite Quote)
"Meine Ehre heißt Treue (My Honour is Loyalty)"