Author Topic: The community deserves better  (Read 71655 times)

Offline Mad_man1

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: The community deserves better
« Reply #435 on: January 28, 2013, 06:55:04 am »
3. Cruch has (if you had actually read the responses on this thread) stated multiple times that he has resigned from adminship.

Excellent !

Offline Hugonaut

• Donator
  • He that cannot obey cannot command -B. Franklin
    • View Profile
    • 29th Worcestershire
  • Nick: 29th_Col_Hugonaut
  • Side: Union
« Reply #436 on: January 28, 2013, 07:47:38 am »
#firstworldproblems

Offline Spearing

• Donator
  • Has Brass Balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: January 28, 2013, 07:59:07 am »
Who am I, but an old player of MM since pre-Prussia, the retired leader of one of MM/NW's oldest groups, and a continuing contributor to the NW community, to include my opinion (as everyone else has before me, without restraint mind you), but I feel inclined as per popular trends induced by this thread but to say what I think...

Hekko has some good points. I, personally, think his evaluation was quite fair. Obviously, any sort of public outburst like this is going to be a little... clunky, at best, and it'll never be as smooth and political as it should be, but the core idea is fair. I think that there just needs to be more common sense with the community. People are happy when everyone understands. What people don't understand, they don't like. McEwan, as I read on one of the pages waaaay back, has a point. There, truth be told, are a lot of good points, and a lot of misinformed points.

I think the generalization of the US admin team was.... eh..... poorly said. It's ill-placed, and there should of been less of a discrimination between the EU and the US admins in the overall message. It shows a few things, which I'll get onto later. But still, it was poorly said. I do think, however, that what the Steam chat showed with the conversation between you, Hekko, and Praetorian was very, very disturbing. I honestly have to agree: if FSE is a company, and they host official servers, and then chooses a group of people to administrate them, then it's only logical for someone who does not visit these forums daily to think that these admins are official representatives of FSE. Honestly, I thought the admins were basic spokespeople for FSE.

That being said, I honestly don't understand what Praetorian was saying, which in a nutshell (to me, anywho) was him saying a disclaimer: that the admins of FSE servers do not specifically represent the ideals of FSE as a whole. This is.... awkward. If you give someone that sort of power to ban people from company-sponsored servers, then you really should be sure that they're representative of your ideals, and that you are on the same page with them as they are with you, or else this sort of debacle can ensue.

Now for the 15e bit: From what I'm reading, Vince is basically making it his ruling that he doesn't want another sort of admin monopoly or something like what happened in ooooooold MM. Eh, it makes sense, but to be fair, most of the admin team knows one another, and truth be told, most of the people I've seen become admins are admins because they have friends on the team itself. So, logically, if you want to uphold that sort of argument about 15e members or whatnot, you'd also have to say that prospective admins have to be dark horses in order for their morals to be legitimate and not compromised.

As for the 51st thing, I have no comment other than how disappointing that is.

Now: onto the bit I mentioned earlier, about the discrimination between EU and US admin teams.

Personal experience shows the most effective way to moderate anything is to have a baseline. I'm not an admin, nor am I in on anything of what the special rules are bar what the official rules of the servers are, but truthfully, if Hekko makes such a distinction between the US & EU admin teams, then it's quite clear that there obviously is a rift. I don't know what it is, but it's probably something like the teams being separated by both this sort of stereotypical generalizations and the logical argument of "time zones get in the way". The latter is realistic, but the former is obnoxious. I say that honestly, this post shows the divide among admins, not just on the core issue, which is the apparent and very inadmissible case of the community's mismanagement, but also the fact that you can see the divide between the admin teams.

What, honestly, is the difference between the EU and the NA teams that makes so much strife? I agree with McEwan, that truth be told, there shouldn't be any divide at all. There should only be the separation of teams in the sense that you need different times because of time-zones. That's fine, but honestly: are the rules for NW_NA and NW_EU really so different? It's the same thing you're enforcing, unless there's like some sort of fine-print rule that no one reads, like "thou shalt not use the symbol % in chat" or something. What divides you all so much that the strife is so apparent? This generalization that NA admins are all power-hungry or something is really rude. It's no wonder there's a divide. Then again, this mismanagement of admin powers on both sides further causes a rift.

If anything is to be taken out of this, it should not be anger, or strife. It should be resolve. Resolve to evolve and adapt. I've seen a lot of NW administrators respond in either support or against, with a large amount of NA admins getting rather disgruntled due to Hekko's comments on the NA admin team.

If the admins have some form of common sense, or at least a basic form of wit, then they could use this to work as a more efficient machine. Hekko's pointed out the flaws. Hekko's pointed out the basic cracks in the skin of the machine. Now fill them. Don't get angry, get constructive. There is nothing that can be done to un-do this original thread. It's been posted, and if it's deleted, I doubt another can of political worms will not be opened. The only thing to do from here on out is to work to fix the issues which have caused such strife. NA and EU should work together. Say what you will, but if you say that they already do, then why is there a large amount of NA admins saying things about Hekko, and vice versa?

I expect this'll blow over. Either Vince will ignore it, or smite everyone (likely including me, sadly) who went with the flow of "viva la revolution" and the calls for blood, or Vince will respond to it. If he responds, I expect it to be a large disclaimer. A blanket statement that'll calm everyone down for a bit, until something else pops up. The real thing to watch for after this is if Vince says there will be change, and if any change is spoken about, if it actually happens.

My actual opinion, no matter what side it's on, is this. I'm interested to see how this turns out: https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?topic=2661.0

It'll either end up being paid attention to, and the community will thrive, or it'll become the old MM suggestion board: a place that the devs say they'll check on daily and work with, and in the end it's just a shouting pit for anyone who has a grievance, with it's only function being to give the dev's an alibi when asked why they did not deal with a certain problem.

Check back on this community ~5 months from now to see if anythings changed. If not, necro this thread.

TL;DR 8/10 would read again.

Offline Xeroth

• Donator
  • 3E GOD TIER
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: January 28, 2013, 08:21:05 am »
3. Cruch has (if you had actually read the responses on this thread) stated multiple times that he has resigned from adminship.

Excellent !

Oh, shut up. Crunch was if not the best, one of the best NA admins.
Its a great loss to have him resign. McEwan best NA though
A melee competant 6th Season NWL Champ
Karth are we still jealous of your reg?

Offline McEwan

• Brigadier General
  • "McEwok" "McScrubwin" "ManJewban" "McWeewan"
    • View Profile
    • Marins de la Garde Impériale on Enjin!
  • Nick: IXe[Marins]_McEwan
« Reply #439 on: January 28, 2013, 08:23:33 am »
Well said on the server admin topic, Spearing.

Hekko did indeed have some good general points. I just wish that the very idea of making this very thread was cast from Hekko's mind before he could even comprehend it. So many things could have been avoided...

(I will post my full opinion on this only if someone asks me in a respectful and inquisitive way, for I do not wish to start another flame war.)

EDIT: Oh Xeroth, you outdid yourself... ::)
But I agree. Losing Crunch serves a nasty blow to me.

Kielbasa!

Offline Xeroth

• Donator
  • 3E GOD TIER
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: January 28, 2013, 08:25:02 am »
#McEwan 2012

Edit: 2013*  >:(
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 08:29:09 am by Xeroth »

Offline Rogov

• Second Lieutenant
  • Moose are cool.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 19te_Hsr_Ofr_Rogov
« Reply #441 on: January 28, 2013, 08:34:03 am »
I'd just like to add (in light of the news of Crunch's resignation) that I never had a problem with him as an admin.

He was generally amiable, conversed with the players (I know, who cares, but it was a nice touch), and responded appropriately to those who broke the rules, particularly in regards to teamkilling and profanity. The only flaw I can think of was that he was occasionally prone to anger when provoked by a trollish player.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 09:11:34 am by Rogov »

Offline Xeroth

• Donator
  • 3E GOD TIER
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: January 28, 2013, 08:37:01 am »
I tried to convince him in to taking back his choice and staying an admin, but it seems he also wants to play NW without the constant bother of trolling and unorthodox behavior. It will be a deep blow to the North American staff, I believe.

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: January 28, 2013, 08:40:24 am »
I'd like to apologize to Crunch for my words earlier today. It was harsh and uncalled for, and I only get that way when I haven't had anything to eat and I have a lot of energy to work off. Now it's almost 3 in the morning and I'm sinking into that depressed thoughtful phase where I reflect on my day. Sorry m8

Offline Tali

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: January 28, 2013, 08:52:22 am »
I've honestly never had a problem with an admin on the official servers and I'm all for strictness where it is called for. I generally hop on the public servers to relax after my classes, before starting on homework and such, and I'd rather not have to deal with children and/or immature "adults" antagonizing the admins and calling each other derogatory things like fa***t and n****r while I'm doing that. I'd hardly call it heavy handed. Behave on the public servers and you'll be fine. While admittedly I haven't been around as long as some, I've been playing on the official servers for about a year and a half and have yet to be warned by an admin, let alone banned.

My class starts in 5 minutes, so I only have time to respond to this.

The outrage agaisnt the admins in this thread has not been instigated by them banning "Children", as you described them, on the official servers, something, I dare say, a majority of people in here would stand by if it were to happen. No, It is because there has been people that has gotten extreme and unjust punishments for speaking out agaisnt the FSE Team.

Offline Rogov

• Second Lieutenant
  • Moose are cool.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 19te_Hsr_Ofr_Rogov
« Reply #445 on: January 28, 2013, 09:00:16 am »
I cover the forum admins in the section below that. That segment merely refers to the official NW servers.

Offline McEwan

• Brigadier General
  • "McEwok" "McScrubwin" "ManJewban" "McWeewan"
    • View Profile
    • Marins de la Garde Impériale on Enjin!
  • Nick: IXe[Marins]_McEwan
« Reply #446 on: January 28, 2013, 09:01:18 am »
Well, after reading some people's responses, I have a few things to say.

First thing: Xeroth, you're a derpstein.

Second thing:

The outrage agaisnt the admins in this thread has not been instigated by them banning "Children", as you described them, on the official servers, something, I dare say, a majority of people in here would stand by if it were to happen. No, It is because there has been people that has gotten extreme and unjust punishments for speaking out agaisnt the FSE Team.

And those decisions had nothing to do with the US administration team, so kindly leave us out of that accusation.

Third thing:
On the topic of Hekko and the overall outcome of events today.
Spoiler
I don't care if someone has a different opinion than me. However I do care if that person is breaking forum policy and/or creating unnecessary disturbance in the community in order to voice that opinion, which is what Hekko did. He felt that making that thread and and in circumstance letting a literal riot start up was the only way the forum admins would listen to the community.

Whether it was his prime intention or not, Hekko did instigate a large disturbance on these forums, which entailed overly aggressive and argumentative posts, disrespectful attitudes and messages, and went as for to extend to hostile PMs and Steam messages, all of which go against the forum rules.

The most infuriating thing about the aftermath of Hekko's actions is that they could have been completely avoided. The forum admins were literally in the process of working out reformations to the forum and server policies when Hekko posted his thread. The changes would have been made clear to the community over the next week, and everything would have worked out nicely, or at least nicer than the outcome of Hekko's decision.

So in essence, the same outcome will be in place, but with a host of unnecessary drama and hostility between members and members and admins. A heart breaking rift has formed in this once happy community, forcing many to take sides. I have truly never seen anything like it, and it was all put to effect by yours truly.

And don't get me wrong; I've been wanting to see some changes in the way the forum admins and server admins work and behave in their duties for some time, probably really starting with the 51st event which is I guess where most people started their thinking. I am in the same critical mindset as Hekko. But nothing shocked me more than this thread. Before that, I thought the process was moving along at a relatively calm pace. Policies would be changed, the community would see them, perhaps negotiate a few things, and then after maybe a week or two the community would go on it's normal business, albeit with the new policies. Hekko knocked the whole thing off balance. The whole process was assimilated and toppled to the ground, and for what? So the forum admins could pry the information they already know out of the frothing sea of over-zealous "revolutionaries," disgustingly disrespectful messages, and a community in a virtual civil war?

No. I believe Hekko's general thoughts were on track. But there can be no argument against the fact that he almost tore this community to pieces. I have worked to make it a friendly place of friendly people, for people of the same interest, which is why we're all here in the first place. This community is something I have been a part of for almost 2 years, and seeing it in its current state is like a stab to my heart.
[close]

Kielbasa!

Offline Xeroth

• Donator
  • 3E GOD TIER
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: January 28, 2013, 09:08:45 am »

Second thing:

And those decisions had nothing to do with the US administration team, so kindly leave us out of that accusation.

Third thing:
Spoiler
I don't care if someone has a different opinion than me. However I do care if that person is breaking forum policy and/or creating unnecessary disturbance in the community in order to voice that opinion, which is what Hekko did. He felt that making that thread and and in circumstance letting a literal riot start up was the only way the forum admins would listen to the community.

Whether it was his prime intention or not, Hekko did instigate a large disturbance on these forums, which entailed overly aggressive and argumentative posts, disrespectful attitudes and messages, and went as for to extend to hostile PMs and Steam messages, all of which go against the forum rules.

The most infuriating thing about the aftermath of Hekko's actions is that they could have been completely avoided. The forum admins were literally in the process of working out reformations to the forum and server policies when Hekko posted his thread. The changes would have been made clear to the community over the next week, and everything would have worked out nicely, or at least nicer than the outcome of Hekko's decision.

So in essence, the same outcome will be in place, but with a host of unnecessary drama and hostility between members and members and admins. A heart breaking rift has formed in this once happy community, forcing many to take sides. I have truly never seen anything like it, and it was all put to effect by yours truly.

And don't get me wrong; I've been wanting to see some changes in the way the forum admins and server admins work and behave in their duties for some time, probably really starting with the 51st event which is I guess where most people started their thinking. I am in the same critical mindset as Hekko. But nothing shocked me more than this thread. Before that, I thought the process was moving along at a relatively calm pace. Policies would be changed, the community would see them, perhaps negotiate a few things, and then after maybe a week or two the community would go on it's normal business, albeit with the new policies. Hekko knocked the whole thing off balance. The whole process was assimilated and toppled to the ground, and for what? So the forum admins could pry the information they already know out of the frothing sea of over-zealous "revolutionaries," disgustingly disrespectful messages, and a community in a virtual civil war?

No. I believe Hekko's general thoughts were on track. But there can be no argument against the fact that he almost tore this community to pieces. I have worked to make it a friendly place of friendly people, for people of the same interest, which is why we're all here in the first place. This community is something I have been a part of for almost 2 years, and seeing it in its current state is like a stab to my heart.
[close]

I am on my iPad, so I am in no position to type something so persuasive and truthful, for all I can say I agree 100000%. This was in needed drama that will scare this website. It was un needed and could have been easily avoided, the admins do care for us, and they do what they think is right. They don't intend to hurt anyone. (Vincenzo wants to hurt me though #jk)
This not only affected the community, but was a chain reaction to admins resigning and community members leaving. Painful.

Ps. I'm a derpstein
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 09:10:25 am by Xeroth »

Offline Robin_Hood

• Sergeant Major
  • To be British; is to be haughtily honest.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Sid the slick sh*t
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #448 on: January 28, 2013, 09:23:12 am »

Second thing:

Third thing:
Spoiler

[close]

You're funny. I think the complaints were against the US admins whacking out the purple chat far too easily. US admins tend to see adminship as an extension of their penis. Flexing of un-needed muscle.

Instigating arguments is such a broad term, for all could be potentially and usually innocently participating in this joke of a rule. Post an opinion, someone disagrees and therefore you have instigated an argument. Now, sonny, welcome to the FSE graveyard where we ban you all with our sketchy rules as the tool. And why you say? Because we can, son.

Offline Xeroth

• Donator
  • 3E GOD TIER
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: January 28, 2013, 09:27:35 am »
Spoiler
 ;)

Second thing:

Third thing:
Spoiler

[close]

You're funny. I think the complaints were against the US admins whacking out the purple chat far too easily. US admins tend to see adminship as an extension of their penis. Flexing of un-needed muscle.
[close]

And accusing north American admins, yet I have never even seen you on. Offices NA server, makes you better? I have never seen a North American official server admin abuse, and I have been playing for quite a while. Proof please?