Author Topic: Napoleonic Wars - Current state - almost dead?  (Read 4594 times)

Wursti

Re: Napoleonic Wars - Current state - almost dead?
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2023, 07:07:58 pm »
Yea Warbands player numbers are increasing while Bannerlord's is decreasing aswell

And thats without WSE taken into account, so I think the state didnt change in the past 1-2 years, its just the ppl that leave that try their best to talk it dead

Yeah, I am a bit worried to see that the 3 biggest in EU have disbanded/downsized though. But overall, from my experience, most new players I rct are just flat out uninterested to play comp shit. They just want to play huge ass linebattles and duke it out against others. I remember back on 2018-19 every once in a while I would have ppl leave the 61e and join a competitive only regiment but that hasnt rly happened to us since like 2020. most of the ppl on these forums who are active are comp players so they are the ones who are naturally most likely to preach about the game being dead here.

Yea exactly

I also enjoy casual LBs more atm and there was a downtime ofc in summer as normally, many regs got a summer break etc

But there were more and more people again in the past events

Offline YS23

• Second Lieutenant
  • Ὑπομονὴ κερδίον.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Xephaeston
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2023, 07:09:50 pm »
To be very honest with you, I could care less about competitive stuff these times either. I get that some people just enjoy this game for its time period and would like to play "Napoleon Total War" in NW if you understand what I mean with that.

Offline King_Macbeth

• Second Lieutenant
  • Human.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 61e_Col_King-Macbeth
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2023, 07:11:37 pm »
Yea Warbands player numbers are increasing while Bannerlord's is decreasing aswell

And thats without WSE taken into account, so I think the state didnt change in the past 1-2 years, its just the ppl that leave that try their best to talk it dead

Yeah, I am a bit worried to see that the 3 biggest in EU have disbanded/downsized though. But overall, from my experience, most new players I rct are just flat out uninterested to play comp shit. They just want to play huge ass linebattles and duke it out against others. I remember back on 2018-19 every once in a while I would have ppl leave the 61e and join a competitive only regiment but that hasnt rly happened to us since like 2020. most of the ppl on these forums who are active are comp players so they are the ones who are naturally most likely to preach about the game being dead here.
Compared to 2018-19 nowadays there is a pretty big skill gap between the comp players that are still playing and the newer players which doesn't make comp very attractive to new ppl unless u market it specifically for them with a league 2 which didn't really work last EGS since the top l2 teams demolished everyone else and teams that actually consisted of new players got stomped.

Yeah I agree especially with the gap. Also I know a lot of ppl here will jizz their pants over WBMM but to be perfectly honest, I dont think that really did the comp community any favors since that server essentially made the only GF server in existence become blocked by a sign-up only wall in order to play. Which to any new player that has interest in getting good with the bayonet is most likely going to get filtered out by a sign up process regardless if it takes only 0.1 seconds to do.

Offline King_Macbeth

• Second Lieutenant
  • Human.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2023, 07:12:44 pm »
To be very honest with you, I could care less about competitive stuff these times either. I get that some people just enjoy this game for its time period and would like to play "Napoleon Total War" in NW if you understand what I mean with that.

Yeah I definitely agree with what you are saying. The bigger the battle the more fun. The more destruction and carnage the more exciting!

Offline YS23

• Second Lieutenant
  • Ὑπομονὴ κερδίον.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2023, 07:16:03 pm »

Yeah I definitely agree with what you are saying. The bigger the battle the more fun. The more destruction and carnage the more exciting!
Hell yes. And I get that people find it boring, cause sometimes you get shot in the first few seconds of the round and you will have to wait for a long time until you can play again. But there are solutions, such as the Flag Spawn events etc..
I also feel that the Conquest game mode is something severely underrated.

Offline tommyxd

• Major General
  • Swigma Male
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 96y_Kpt_tommyxd
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2023, 07:19:24 pm »
getting shot at the start of the round is still better than getting tked by friendly arty in the first 2 mins on ur first ever event

Offline King_Macbeth

• Second Lieutenant
  • Human.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2023, 07:21:08 pm »

Hell yes. And I get that people find it boring, cause sometimes you get shot in the first few seconds of the round and you will have to wait for a long time until you can play again. But there are solutions, such as the Flag Spawn events etc..
I also feel that the Conquest game mode is something severely underrated.

I remember back in 2020 the IVe had a pretty intersting conquest event. You could have the regiment mass spawn at a point. lol i even remember in the chinese community we would do a conquest event where the map was Taiwan

Offline YS23

• Second Lieutenant
  • Ὑπομονὴ κερδίον.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2023, 10:44:07 pm »
I remember myself a huge conquest map as well. It was a historical battle, very long time ago. Would be nice if Napoleonic Wars featured more factions than 2 in one "game" so to speak. That would spice things up as well I think.

Offline Octanidas

• First Lieutenant
  • new and interesting ways to play
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 8th_Huss_HGrd /// Nr4_OLt
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2023, 10:50:56 pm »
I can only speak for the European Cavalry Community:

Competitive is 100% inactive, the last tournament was ages ago (i believe Autumn 2021) and the only remnants are small teams and casual regiments just doing little groupfights.

The casual side is still alive, but i don't know much more about it than the fact that there are still some regiments filling the cavalry spots in Linebattle Events, and the one that i'm in can get up to the maximum unit sitze of 13 players, at least sometimes. On other days we only get around 7.

The state of the Community has become a meme in that way that some people would write "Nice training yesterday, looking forward to the match tomorrow" on regimental forum pages, just to point out that nothing is going on  ;D

Offline King_Macbeth

• Second Lieutenant
  • Human.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2023, 03:16:54 am »
I remember myself a huge conquest map as well. It was a historical battle, very long time ago. Would be nice if Napoleonic Wars featured more factions than 2 in one "game" so to speak. That would spice things up as well I think.
Pretty interesting…. Technically there is a way to achieve what youre saying via changing uniforms units spawn with thru minor editing of the files though idk if youd be able to modify voicelines….
« Last Edit: July 07, 2023, 03:19:01 am by King_Macbeth »

Offline Argie

• Sergeant Major
  • 1st GLI is King x3
    • View Profile
  • Nick: ArgieTheGreek
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2023, 08:24:43 am »
yo lads have you considered >.> recruiting  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Offline FearlessHussar

• Sergeant
  • Faith in Truth!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: TheFearlessHussar
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2023, 09:31:22 am »
To be perfectly honest, I do not believe that things are that bad, especially for a game that is 11 years old by now. Comp is dead but there are 2 public servers that are active and have plenty of people depending on the time of day. Many events still run and even the mod events are still a thing(yes, we are still alive). It is more of a problem that the entire scene has become kinda stale and old which has left many people disinterested and worse still, prevents the game from attracting new players. Well, the full price on steam might have something to do with that last point too but that is not something that is up to us to fix. As for helping out, I dont know. I dont think that at this point, individually, there is much that can be done. A suggestion in case you want to play sth slightly different to NW would be to play on the mod events as they are public and all. Or just play on TP or Minisiege and i guess you can also advertise the game to friends.
Leader of 1st "Saint George's" Regiment
Host of the events of the Mod Events Community(https://discord.gg/rfdzVzRsKV)
Admin on Tropical Paradise and Marshal of the Empire
Previously Head Admin for the Persistent Napoleonic Mod

Offline EtrepcarTheDealer

• Sergeant
  • President of the Cheese Consortium
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1stGLI_Chsn_CheeseDealer
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2023, 01:44:45 pm »
I mean, for an almost 10 year old game it's almost a miracle that it still has the numbers and community surrounding it and that is without updates for years now.

There was a thread years ago (I think 2014-2015?) on here about how the game is dying and how it will become a wasteland in the following 1-2 years. That really didn't come to fruition, thankfully, but it shows how much people overreact to even a small dip in player numbers.

Still, even if the game "dies" then there is no point in fighting against that much, since it's inevitable. Although, who knows, maybe after 3-5 years there will be a renaissance of it, just like what happened to Minecraft. I know it's not a great comparison but still: it was huge in the early 2010s, had a negative stigma it was associated with and subsequently stagnated/"died" in around 2015-2016, then became popular again in 2019/2020.

I mean there is technically a "solution" (well, more like a bandaid) but it would require a lot of money, a lot of patience and it's not exactly foolproof: buying keys/gifts of the Warband DLC Collection (includes NW) or just the NW DLC and mass distributing it on a giveaway site like SteamGift/just giving it away to someone on your friendlist. It's not a guarantee they will actually play in the comp/reg scene or even NW, but it would be probably increase the amount of people playing Warband in general.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2023, 02:03:59 pm by EtrepcarTheDealer »

Offline tommyxd

• Major General
  • Swigma Male
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 96y_Kpt_tommyxd
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2023, 02:00:44 pm »
Well, the full price on steam might have something to do with that last point too but that is not something that is up to us to fix.
you can buy warband and nw for around 3-4 euros on some sites

Offline FearlessHussar

• Sergeant
  • Faith in Truth!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: TheFearlessHussar
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2023, 10:40:33 pm »
People: NW IS DYING!

Meawhile Deluge:

Leader of 1st "Saint George's" Regiment
Host of the events of the Mod Events Community(https://discord.gg/rfdzVzRsKV)
Admin on Tropical Paradise and Marshal of the Empire
Previously Head Admin for the Persistent Napoleonic Mod