Author Topic: Mordhau  (Read 13713 times)

yecgga

Re: Mordhau
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2019, 04:40:28 pm »
Eager? It's literally been 7 years since we are waiting for Bannerlord. After this point, I'm not waiting for bannerlord anymore. I wouldn't mind even if Taleworlds cancel releasing Bannerlord.

Online Janne

• Lieutenant General
  • keep yourself safe
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2019, 05:31:38 pm »
So what exactly is fun about this game. It looks like it has directional attacks but non direction (i.e. warband like) autoblock.

How does this make it challenging? Sounds like it woukd just be a button smashing sim.

maybe you should try it friend. there are many ways to get people to mistime their blocks as you can't hold blocks

Offline Krastinov

• First Lieutenant
  • hi
    • View Profile
  • Nick: OatmealCan'tGroupfightSTINOV
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2019, 08:10:22 pm »
Yea, I don't really get where you got button-mashing from because that doesn't work at all in this game. You have a split-second to parry an attack, since you cannot hold it and there's a slight delay before you can parry again.

The whole point in melee is to trick your opponent into parrying early by feinting, dragging your attack, etc. Archers are a thing but you can deflect arrows by parrying at the right time as well, so that gives people without shields a chance.

I'll say right away that this game is more challenging than Warband will ever be, lol. It's basically an updated Chivalry that took some Warband mechanics and created a way more fun game than either. The only thing I'd criticize right now is a lack of maps and competitive game modes.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 08:16:15 pm by Krastinov »
The Myth, The Legend

Offline Sgt.Winters

• Captain
  • Wut
    • View Profile
  • Nick: look at me
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2019, 08:41:28 pm »
Yea, I don't really get where you got button-mashing from because that doesn't work at all in this game. You have a split-second to parry an attack, since you cannot hold it and there's a slight delay before you can parry again.

The whole point in melee is to trick your opponent into parrying early by feinting, dragging your attack, etc. Archers are a thing but you can deflect arrows by parrying at the right time as well, so that gives people without shields a chance.

I'll say right away that this game is more challenging than Warband will ever be, lol. It's basically an updated Chivalry that took some Warband mechanics and created a way more fun game than either. The only thing I'd criticize right now is a lack of maps and competitive game modes.
I'd say button mashing is only effective when you grab a maul and smash some heads in from behind.

Offline Krastinov

• First Lieutenant
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2019, 08:46:16 pm »

I'd say button mashing is only effective when you grab a maul and smash some heads in from behind.

I mean yea, if you're behind someone then you are going to be able to spam them. I'm talking about if you're actually face-to-face fighting someone then you can't just mash parries/attacks and expect to win
The Myth, The Legend

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2019, 09:53:55 pm »

Well, I don't own the game and only saw some random youtube videos. To me the description of having auto-block but directional attacks makes me  assume that button smashing the attack key will win you any fight.

I guess with your description it makes more sense. If you can not hold a block, but an attack and can feint, it makes it a lot more involved.

Thanks for the answer.

Online Kore

• The Sideblock King
  • Major General
  • Best Czech player on the Moon. uaa
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Oubliette*******
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2019, 10:42:31 pm »

Well, I don't own the game and only saw some random youtube videos. To me the description of having auto-block but directional attacks makes me  assume that button smashing the attack key will win you any fight.

I guess with your description it makes more sense. If you can not hold a block, but an attack and can feint, it makes it a lot more involved.

Thanks for the answer.

its still not really an autoblock, as you still kinda have to face the general direction of the attack
One of the best side blockers in the game. Often reffered as 'the Sideblock King'.

Offline Sgt.Winters

• Captain
  • Wut
    • View Profile
  • Nick: look at me
« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2019, 10:53:45 pm »

Thanks for the answer.

its still not really an autoblock, as you still kinda have to face the general direction of the attack
And it's only a split second window, so if you miss, you're fucked.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2019, 11:04:46 pm »
Yeah sounds much better than what I originally thought.

Offline Superbad

• Ros the whore of Winterfell
  • Donator
  • Nothing gold can stay...
    • View Profile
  • Nick: SuperbadV
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2019, 11:10:22 pm »
Yeah sounds much better than what I originally thought.

Also, if just spam click then you will quickly run out of stamina, causing you to lose your weapon if your opponents gets a swing in. Then you're fucked.

Overall, it's a very good game. Just some tweaks to make, but they're actively patching and updating the game. I would 100% recommend it.

Offline Maple™

• Captain
  • GLORIOUS MELEE
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Boy Wonder
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2019, 07:25:22 am »

Eh, I'd say that this is just as challenging as Native Warband. Definitely harder than NW though.

Offline Krastinov

• First Lieutenant
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2019, 07:43:48 am »

Eh, I'd say that this is just as challenging as Native Warband. Definitely harder than NW though.

I guess that's fair. I just made that statement based on how many more mechanics there are to keep track of during a fight.
The Myth, The Legend

Offline Maple™

• Captain
  • GLORIOUS MELEE
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Boy Wonder
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2019, 04:08:43 pm »
i'm just waiting for the duelist vs groupfighter debate in mordhau

Offline Rutger Müller

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Ryu? | Fancy?? | Rutger???
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2019, 07:00:56 pm »
wonder if anyone else agrees with me here, but from my findings: in NW a good duelist will typically also be at the least an okay groupfighter. however in Mordhau you can have a very good duelist that could just suck dick when they go to skirmish. Think this might be due to the barrier of 1vX situations being more difficult especially if you haven't had much practice experimenting with techniques for it

Offline Tommmy

• First Sergeant
  • drinkin' Moets holdin Tecs
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2019, 09:04:12 am »
Duelist-people who feint well and rarely mistime blocks
Group fighter-people who know the range very well
si vis pacem, parabellum