Author Topic: What in the actual fuck are we doing?  (Read 3055 times)

Offline Ted

• Colonel
  • Aufknöpfen!
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: What in the actual fuck are we doing?
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2019, 03:35:33 pm »
Dat kid who put up a global banlist back in Betty's times.
Former Regiments: 7te Kurmarkische Landwehr, 6te Ulanen, kk Kürassierregiment Nr.4, kk Bombardier-Regiment Nr.3, kk AR Nr.2, GGR Nr.4, Artillerie im Kö.Preuß.IR Nr.33.
>>Scenes<<

Offline Windflower

• General
  • ex PSG, 30th
    • View Profile
    • my jam
  • Side: Union
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2019, 05:23:02 pm »
You NAs really need some help...
ALERT ALERT
EU superiority complex
ALERT ALERT

NAPL season 1 saw the greatest regiment winning
ribbit 🐸 cute? 😳 im not cute 😓 i mean my parents 👨‍👩‍👧 call me cute ☺️ but honestly 👉👈 ive never ❌ heard it 👂 from someone else 🗣 before 🥰 thanks i guess? 😳

Offline Earth Bby

• FSE's Official Annoying English-Person
  • Donator
  • Bottom Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2019, 10:09:12 am »

Offline Vegi.

• Where is my stack?!
  • General
  • Divide and Conquer
    • View Profile
  • Nick: King of Stack
  • Side: Confederacy
Stop looking at my posts Fietta #RentFree

The Master of stack, the voice of racism.

Offline Windflower

• General
  • ex PSG, 30th
    • View Profile
    • my jam
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2019, 05:08:33 pm »
ALERT ALERT
EU superiority complex
ALERT ALERT

I swear I made your sig...
You did make it
It was very nicely designed and would have been a shame if it were not put to use in some way again

NAPL season 1 saw the greatest regiment winning
ribbit 🐸 cute? 😳 im not cute 😓 i mean my parents 👨‍👩‍👧 call me cute ☺️ but honestly 👉👈 ive never ❌ heard it 👂 from someone else 🗣 before 🥰 thanks i guess? 😳

Offline Earth Bby

• Donator
  • Bottom Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2019, 08:57:22 pm »
ALERT ALERT
EU superiority complex
ALERT ALERT

You did make it
It was very nicely designed and would have been a shame if it were not put to use in some way again

Everything I touch turns to gold

David_Schrein

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2019, 11:05:41 pm »
ALERT ALERT
EU superiority complex
ALERT ALERT

You did make it

WaT ahahahahahahhhahaah

Offline Earth Bby

• Donator
  • Bottom Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2019, 11:53:15 pm »
ALERT ALERT
EU superiority complex
ALERT ALERT

You did make it

WaT ahahahahahahhhahaah

guessing you're not a fan, it's currently in a really good state but thank you for being a poo

Offline Professor

• Second Lieutenant
  • hey this is personal text don't look at it
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 87th 87th 87th 87th 87th 87th 87th
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2019, 12:10:38 am »
phd in being a fucking idiot

Offline Marceaux

• Donator
  • Je suis immortel.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1er_Capitaine_Marceaux
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2019, 12:25:48 am »
It is genuinely a good question. One that there is no real answer to and something I struggle with frequently and have since i was a child. My answer is that we are simply living/existing. Living in any way we see fit for ourselves. Just be happy and enjoy the time you have however you see fit. Enjoying yourself and your time is all that really matters. And if you aren't enjoying yourself and your time then try and do anything and everything until you feel some fulfillment and happiness. For each person its different.

We feel like there should be some kind of defined purpose or goal. But in reality, there simply isn't one. So we must accept the unacceptable and ignore it. And find our own meaning and purpose. And hope that in the end maybe there is something better. Or perhaps nothing at all and it will be just like it was before we were born. Nothingness. And it may sound scary but were you afraid before you were born? Just remember we are all in this together. Whether we realize it or not. We all live and die together. So you are never alone during life or after it. :)

Offline DrunkenSpartan

• Sergeant Major
  • Run towards the sound of thunder :P It's more fun.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 33rd_Fus_Spartan
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2019, 01:05:49 am »
Ok, so, assuming you aren't asking because you've been experimenting with LSD and have lost your mind, I'll try to break it down for you in my own opinion. Forgive me for the western-centrist thought patterns.

The crux of the question, simple as it may be, is both the "what", and the "we". Obviously by "we" I assume you mean yourself in the context of a philosophical or moral dilemma. If by "we" you mean society as a whole, that'll have to wait for another day, and truthfully, you really shouldn't be concerned with the actions of others beyond the limits that they affect you personally. Aurelius explains it simply in Meditations: "You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength." Once we've settled on the subject in question of the issue at hand, it's time to delve into that second part of the equation, the "what". For the purposes of this response I'll assume you mean the course of action your life takes, the ebbs and flows of your consciousness impacting and altering the physical world around you, from birth to the moment of your death (you'll have to bear with me on assumptions, the prompt wasn't very clear).

Starting with the moment of birth you can of course ascribe to either the monotheist platform of organized religion, or the less religious ideas of worldly philosophers such as Plato or Aristotle.  If we're going down the religious school of thought, I'll stick with Aquinas. He's universally recognized as one of the most influential philosophers in Catholicism and, more importantly, most of the time he spits it better than 90% of the frock wearing flock. Aquinas keeps it simple: "There must be must be a first mover existing above all – and this we call God." He believed that unity and oneness with God would equate to happiness and should be the desire of every man. By pursuing this oneness, he argued, man would better himself. If you're a man of faith, the conversation pretty much begins and ends with that. For it is hard to argue against the pursuit of unity with God if you are a true believer in that God.

If, on the other hand, you're more inclined to believe those who would shrug off organized religion as a circus sans tent, Plato is likely to be of interest to you. The central idea of The Republic is that good in itself is its own reward. It is the solution to which the entire dialogue has been building towards, and its revelation completes a puzzle masterfully crafted through Socratic dialogue. If this is enough for you, as it was for me, go out and do good, and you'll find that Plato was onto something here. As to your question, perhaps Plato would have answered it similar to the way he answered another posed to him: "Nothing beautiful without struggle." The goal of your life, whatever that may be, should naturally be beautiful, as we likely only have one chance to create a lasting impact on this world. Therefore, it stands to reason that struggle and the pursuit of success and beauty in life should form the main basis of your "what". Figure out a goal and then struggle to pursue it to the best of your ability, to make it as perfect and beautiful as you can.

Well, that's my take on the subject. Hope it helps.
It's the same old thing since 1916
In your head, in your head they're still fighting
With their tanks and their bombs
And air bombs and their guns
In your head, in your head they are dying...

Offline Sgt.Winters

• Captain
  • Wut
    • View Profile
  • Nick: look at me
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2019, 02:55:25 am »
Ok, so, assuming you aren't asking because you've been experimenting with LSD and have lost your mind, I'll try to break it down for you in my own opinion. Forgive me for the western-centrist thought patterns.

The crux of the question, simple as it may be, is both the "what", and the "we". Obviously by "we" I assume you mean yourself in the context of a philosophical or moral dilemma. If by "we" you mean society as a whole, that'll have to wait for another day, and truthfully, you really shouldn't be concerned with the actions of others beyond the limits that they affect you personally. Aurelius explains it simply in Meditations: "You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength." Once we've settled on the subject in question of the issue at hand, it's time to delve into that second part of the equation, the "what". For the purposes of this response I'll assume you mean the course of action your life takes, the ebbs and flows of your consciousness impacting and altering the physical world around you, from birth to the moment of your death (you'll have to bear with me on assumptions, the prompt wasn't very clear).

Starting with the moment of birth you can of course ascribe to either the monotheist platform of organized religion, or the less religious ideas of worldly philosophers such as Plato or Aristotle.  If we're going down the religious school of thought, I'll stick with Aquinas. He's universally recognized as one of the most influential philosophers in Catholicism and, more importantly, most of the time he spits it better than 90% of the frock wearing flock. Aquinas keeps it simple: "There must be must be a first mover existing above all – and this we call God." He believed that unity and oneness with God would equate to happiness and should be the desire of every man. By pursuing this oneness, he argued, man would better himself. If you're a man of faith, the conversation pretty much begins and ends with that. For it is hard to argue against the pursuit of unity with God if you are a true believer in that God.

If, on the other hand, you're more inclined to believe those who would shrug off organized religion as a circus sans tent, Plato is likely to be of interest to you. The central idea of The Republic is that good in itself is its own reward. It is the solution to which the entire dialogue has been building towards, and its revelation completes a puzzle masterfully crafted through Socratic dialogue. If this is enough for you, as it was for me, go out and do good, and you'll find that Plato was onto something here. As to your question, perhaps Plato would have answered it similar to the way he answered another posed to him: "Nothing beautiful without struggle." The goal of your life, whatever that may be, should naturally be beautiful, as we likely only have one chance to create a lasting impact on this world. Therefore, it stands to reason that struggle and the pursuit of success and beauty in life should form the main basis of your "what". Figure out a goal and then struggle to pursue it to the best of your ability, to make it as perfect and beautiful as you can.

Well, that's my take on the subject. Hope it helps.
The issue I believe is that our evolved selves have backfired on us for the most part.

Our ability to contemplate existence, the suffering of others, and our cosmic insignificance has led to some sort of error in our programming. This constant sense of pessimism stalks us wherever we go, unable to shake it for even the briefest of moments.

Imagine for a moment, the man that ruminates on the chemical reaction that triggered our very being over 13.7 billion years ago. On top of that, ponder the hundreds of millions of years that natural selection has unconsciously played this game. It has had its way with an uncountable number of species, who have suffered immensely at the hands of an indifferent universe.

I'm starting to see the cracks in our way of life. Our knowledge has expanded to the point where we simply can't take it anymore. There is simultaneously a horrible truth and no truth at all, and I fear the more we realize this, the worse we will act towards each other. You already see this all over the internet. Many simply have no regard for other human beings, and will emotionally/physically harm them however they please. This is precisely what many 19th century philosophers had predicted, that the mass die-off of religion and stout meaning would cause mass nihilistic hysteria and apathy.

Humanity has been cruel to each other in many different ways, but this time it will be far more psychological  based to the point where we won't able to look at each other with any sort of sanity.

Offline antslimey

• First Lieutenant
  • Co founder and leader of the AEF and Col of 55th!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [AEF]Col_Anthony 55th_Col_Anthony
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2019, 03:30:49 am »
I struggled with this question almost daily 2016-2018 and it caused a lot of anxiety and stress in my life.
Heres an answer that might help.

The world has two paradigms
Objective Reality: Existence is observable data and our selfawearness and some people can realize if thats what the world is then the motivation structures that inhibit us are arbitrary and only for our survival.
Experiential Reality: This is where as the human condition gave us the motivational structure that animates our selfawearness and has a hold on our thoughts feelings emotions actions ideas essentially every facet of our being.

Conclusions people can make.

1.Due to objective reality I am not me I am experiencing a selfawearness that comes from experiential reality and it seems to give meaning to a world that is really devoid of any.

2.Objective reality is useful to understand the world, but causes much distress to the human person who lives within Experiential reality.
Suggestion if one lives as if the Experiential reality has consequence and believes that pain is MORE real to us than objective reality we should live in a manner in which we most flourish under those conditions because if you only analyze the world through the objective you are not left feeling indifferent but only suffering and the slow denigration of your being in this reality causing pain and sapping any sense of positive meaning other than empty short term pleasure.

3. Myself I believe that there is a God who is cause. This God had a purpose in our creation which is to love him, glorify him, and to become a saint in this world. While you can view this objectively and reject the motivation structure that is imposed on you do not gain anything other than the pain and suffering from the rejection of God which is real in the experiential sense.

Whereas I live so I can praise God and I have asked why would God do anything at all. I understand that my mind is finite and limited. So while I cannot understand God's reason do create us it is not opposed to reason that an all powerful all knowing and all good being would create us.
In a objective sense the human condition is only a motivational structure that gives meaning to the data. I would say the motivational structures that God create and placed within us make it so if one is fully present and can see beauty in their life then life justifies itself in the loving arms of a lover, friend, parent, family member, or any sort of thing that could be viewed as objective data.

Thats my take on it from someone who is religious and I understand I am making assumptions and I cannot argue my positions with perfect certainty. The debate for God is time for another thread, but anyways what I am doing is working to glorify and to become a saint. :)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 03:48:03 am by antslimey »