Author Topic: Community Rep Thread (July-August) Update  (Read 14795 times)

Offline Siwi

• Donator
  • Where is BCoF
    • View Profile
  • Nick: -|- Where is BCoF -|-
  • Side: Confederacy
Community Rep Thread (July-August) Update
« on: July 20, 2016, 03:52:38 am »
Hey guys,

Just a quick update of whats been happening, working on getting a system setup for active recurring leagues to get their own board.

I posted to get TNWL theirs, but replies were slow and I did not have the power to add it myself, but Mack got it pushed and done, so shout out to Mack

Smaller things are in the works, any ideas, questions or concerns hit me up here or on steam.
Quote from: George W. Bush on 9/11
Battle Cry of Freedom was an inside job
NW Leaderboards
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
NA_Groupfighting

Check out the site

Offline AP0CALYPS3

• Colonel
  • Luck is for Risk because he is bad at SMITE
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Memefried
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Community Rep Thread (July-August) Update
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 11:15:14 pm »

Offline MackCW

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 11:43:19 am »
I got to say... the overall lack of input from the community, lack of EU updates (especially from someone who demanded them), has me really wondering if this position even makes sense anymore. It made sense in 2013, maybe even in 2016 when Junedragon and Mekkil got elected to get the ball rolling on some community projects but I'm almost wondering if future positions should even be held again.

Was going to bring this up to you privately, Duuring. However, I wanted to post this pubicly to get some public discussion going first.

Offline AP0CALYPS3

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 01:15:44 pm »
From my pov, the position serves as a community organizer of sorts, but more importantly a link between the community and the mods.

I'd rather the position stay filled just so there is someone in the community in a unique position to host certain events and such, but also to resolve conflicts in the community.

I don't really see a problem with the position's existence so long as there are people willing to take on the job of being the community rep.

Also might as well keep it going for just abit longer at least til Bannerlord releases and this community migrates elswhere. Even the most optimistic NW players will tell you that once Bannerlords drops, NW will be a dead game.

TL;DR no harm, no foul
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 01:24:04 pm by AP0CALYPS3 »

Offline MackCW

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 01:34:36 pm »
From my pov, the position serves as a community organizer of sorts, but more importantly a link between the community and the mods.

I'd rather the position stay filled just so there is someone in the community in a unique position to host certain events and such, but also to resolve conflicts in the community.

I don't really see a problem with the position's existence so long as there are people willing to take on the job of being the community rep.

Also might as well keep it going for just abit longer at least til Bannerlord releases and this community migrates elswhere. Even the most optimistic NW players will tell you that once Bannerlords drops, NW will be a dead game.

TL;DR no harm, no foul

Good points, this is definitely the pro side of it. But my question is:

Don't we already kind of do that on our own? I was brought in to resolve a conflict in a ts once, but not because I was a community rep but more because both sides respected me to help them mediate the disagreement.

As for the link between the mods and the community. most of the mods respond to a PM and are quite willing to listen.

Offline DarkTemplar

• Colonel
  • 71st Major, EGS-HeadAdmin, MM-EU-HeadAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Nick: DarkTemplar
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 01:45:38 pm »

Don't we already kind of do that on our own? I was brought in to resolve a conflict in a ts once, but not because I was a community rep but more because both sides respected me to help them mediate the disagreement.

As for the link between the mods and the community. most of the mods respond to a PM and are quite willing to listen.

1. As you said, because both sides respected you. As far as I know the Com. Rep. should be also respected by everyone, and if that is not the case, why did we elect him then? :c
2. They are willing to listen because they're good people, but when someone has a problem with another person they should contact firstly the Com Rep

PS: sry for mistakes, my english sucks atm :(

Norwegian13

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 02:39:17 pm »
I got to say... the overall lack of input from the community, lack of EU updates (especially from someone who demanded them), has me really wondering if this position even makes sense anymore. It made sense in 2013, maybe even in 2016 when Junedragon and Mekkil got elected to get the ball rolling on some community projects but I'm almost wondering if future positions should even be held again.

Was going to bring this up to you privately, Duuring. However, I wanted to post this pubicly to get some public discussion going first.

Honestly Mack, as a previous CR I thought you would understand that it's honestly not easy to keep on pushing out new updates, simply because there is not much that I can update the community about.

Yes, I am pushing for some things in the FSE Administration board, but I would rather wait for results before I make an actual update of it. I must say, that I do owe an apology to both Gokiller and Mekkil, because I was in the wrong when I was demanding updates from them all the time. Now that I am in this position, I do understand that it simply is not easy to keep on posting updates.

I am open to ideas from the community, and if they want they can approach me, either through PM on the forums or by contacting me on Steam.

Offline MackCW

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 03:59:38 pm »

Honestly Mack, as a previous CR I thought you would understand that it's honestly not easy to keep on pushing out new updates, simply because there is not much that I can update the community about.

Yes, I am pushing for some things in the FSE Administration board, but I would rather wait for results before I make an actual update of it. I must say, that I do owe an apology to both Gokiller and Mekkil, because I was in the wrong when I was demanding updates from them all the time. Now that I am in this position, I do understand that it simply is not easy to keep on posting updates.

I am open to ideas from the community, and if they want they can approach me, either through PM on the forums or by contacting me on Steam.

Trust me, I do get it. I was balancing a job, family and a game community that I barely participated in... in fact you can chalk up my NW hours from June-present on less than three fingers. However, when I was elected I knew exactly what I wanted to do... how to help and then asked for opinions at large on multiple issues through my update thread. Asking people to PM just doesn't cut it because you take away the public discourse that can happen in a forum.

This isn't meant as a personal attack at all, but rather someone just saying start the public process of what the CR does. You're almost halfway through your term and haven't even introduced yourself yet to the community at large or created a forum where people can have an open dialog.

And all of this brings me to my major point... as someone who has served in that role, I still feel that the position isn't needed anymore. You even said there is a lack of updates and the primary reason is there isn't that much to do anymore. Everything that would be new or innovative for this game was done a while ago or was tried and failed.

Again this wasn't a personal attack on you Noorwegian (you're a pretty chill guy tbh) but rather a reflection of the usefulness of the CR at this stage of the game.

Offline styxpls

• Private
  • Kek boi
    • View Profile
  • Nick: styx
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 01:30:59 am »
*test*

Offline Siwi

• Donator
  • Where is BCoF
    • View Profile
  • Nick: -|- Where is BCoF -|-
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 06:36:06 am »

TL;DR no harm, no foul

I would agree with Apoc, no harm no foul, but Mack has a valid point. There isn't much to do ingame, and the forums can only be polished so much. The role is still good though for a member of the community to have a say in the moderation of the forums. But until BCoF, I don't really see too much revolutionary stuff happening
Quote from: George W. Bush on 9/11
Battle Cry of Freedom was an inside job
NW Leaderboards
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
NA_Groupfighting

Check out the site

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2016, 04:22:01 pm »
I do think the developers and Admins have something better to do than answer questions all the time. Now that there are positions such as CR, I'd say that they are the spokespersons of this community.

Just my idea of how a community should look like, though.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Earth Bby

• FSE's Official Annoying English-Person
  • Donator
  • Bottom Text
    • View Profile

Offline Gokiller

• Almost Pride of Ni
  • Major General
  • Bydand in the chat lads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 03:40:01 am »
I agree with Mack on the fact that the position has got to the point of being nearly absolutely useless. The past two terms have already shown that.
Hell, even finding enough decent lads to put themselves forward as candidates for this term was difficult. That just shows the general interest in this, which is little to none.

It could've worked in the past, like a couple of years ago at NW´s peak... Or not, considering the drama-fests that occurred regularly...

But oh well, it´s existence doesn't hurt anyone. (I hope) So we might as well carry along with it for as long it lasts.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 03:41:58 am by Gokiller »

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2016, 11:40:10 am »
I agree with Mack on the fact that the position has got to the point of being nearly absolutely useless. The past two terms have already shown that.
Hell, even finding enough decent lads to put themselves forward as candidates for this term was difficult. That just shows the general interest in this, which is little to none.

It could've worked in the past, like a couple of years ago at NW´s peak... Or not, considering the drama-fests that occurred regularly...

But oh well, it´s existence doesn't hurt anyone. (I hope) So we might as well carry along with it for as long it lasts.

Keep them, they are an established position now, which means it can be improved over the terms if deemed nessecary. As soon as BCoF comes out, there will be more than enough drama to deal with.
It is much more costly to set up a brand new one when BCoF comes out, than it is to maintain the current thing we have. Remove this post now, and once the shit hits the fan with BCoF, you'll be struggling to catch up.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline AP0CALYPS3

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2016, 01:04:13 pm »
Oh geez I didnt realize this thread had actually lit up with constructive discourse.

Well time to respond.

TL;DR no harm, no foul

Good points, this is definitely the pro side of it. But my question is:

I wouldnt say alot of conflict in the community is resolved, it just fades away over time only to be brought back up later.

Just look at last seasons NA NWL. Just, look at it. There was so much drama and longstanding resentment being brought back up that it was probably the most dramatic period in NA NW history, during one of the least populated periods of NA NW. That was only possible due to so many people building and holding grudges over years.

Now there are alot of conflicts that are solved diplomatically by the community, i will admit, but not all of them. Not even close. There is still alot of conflicts that go unsolved, and thats where the CR comes in. It can server as a go-to mediator to help resolve conflict.

The CR also wont prevent the community from continuing to solve conflicts on its own, but it will help seek out and solve additional conflicts.

I think the CR is a positive change for the community, and at the end of the day, its really hurting nothing by existing. No harm no foul.