Poll

Which would you prefer?

Too strict.
51 (58%)
Too relaxed.
37 (42%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: Relaxed or Serious regiments? Your opinion?  (Read 9001 times)

Offline Augy

• Major General
  • Anarchist. Absurdist. Existentialist. Man. Human.
    • View Profile
    • The Royal Recruits
  • Nick: -[TRR]- Cpt. Augy
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Lax or Stricter regiments? Your opinion?
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2013, 10:21:36 pm »
Fun and discipline are in no way mutually exclusive , we accept discipline not because were told to but because we understand the need to act in a co-ordinated manner.
“Ego is a structure that is erected by a neurotic individual who is a member of a neurotic culture against the facts of the matter. And culture, which we put on like an overcoat, is the collectivized consensus about what sort of neurotic behaviors are acceptable.” -Terence McKenna

Offline Ryner

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2013, 10:59:03 pm »
New poll!  ;D

First Poll's results

21 people prefer strict/serious regiments.

45 people enjoy a middle ground between the two.

21 people prefer relaxed regiments.

Offline Commissar Jdf

• General
    • View Profile
  • Nick: USMC_Maj_CommissarJdf
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Relaxed or Serious regiments? Your opinion?
« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2013, 11:12:01 pm »
Too strict all the way.

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
  • I'm still here. Dunno why.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: ClearlyInvsible
  • Side: Union
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2013, 12:59:45 am »
Too lax leads too disorder and causes regiments to, as I said before, devolve into troll regiments.

I dunno, I just dislike people being too lax.
"No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it."- Andrew Carnegie
“A man who has no conscience, no goodness, does not suffer.” - Khaled Hosseini
Faggots will burn in hell anyway, who cares.

Offline Crawford

• Donator
  • [2ndCS] Col. River
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2013, 04:16:02 am »
Fun and discipline are in no way mutually exclusive , we accept discipline not because were told to but because we understand the need to act in a co-ordinated manner.

Offline Ryner

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2013, 04:59:29 am »
#Bumpb4dead

Offline usnavy30

• Colonel
  • Former Freelance Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2013, 09:00:55 am »
I like to take a chill-pill when im not yelling at recruits of a legion for breaking PTS.
How To Run A Mod Installer.exe
Hello.. I have a problem... It says I don't have Mount&Blade Warband: Napoleonic War and I have to buy it
Try joining a regular Napoleonic Wars server and then re-running the installer.

Offline USE4life

• Donator
  • Queen of Yorkshire
    • View Profile
    • http://www.yorkshireparty.org.uk/
  • Nick: Kicked out the K-KA_USE4life
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2013, 12:36:22 pm »
I let my guys talk out of PTS and joke around ect. But if it gets to the point where people cant follow orders ect I turn stricter. Friendly and fun regiments are always more preferable to ones that you can't talk in during events and such, but if it's too relaxed it makes it harder to play the game properly and that's the original point.

Offline GoldenEagle

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Abii
« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2013, 01:16:55 pm »
Our Colonel in the 81st, Dealen, is very good at commanding. He is not VERY strict, but he keeps our shit together.

Offline Miller

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2013, 05:23:42 pm »
Its peculiar why the men do that i think... i served as a rct-pvt-regular in the 87th Royal Irish Fusiliers for a total of 6 months in MM-NW, it was my first regiment, and i did infact own a mic but i never spoke during trainings or events, there was simply no need to im not an nco or something yet, so what could i possibly say to contribute or be constructive to either the training or LB transactions? Unless i was asked a question directly or asked to respond in unison with my comrades i never talked or needed to talk. I have an idea that if a officer staff and their ncos preform properly in both the realms of training and a LB that Joking around and socializing can completely wait until after the event where it belongs. and what i mean by preforming properly is that if a realism is established via an appropriate level of intensity and competitiveness among the staff, then the men will fall in very much how a competitive sports team might act. Everyone's head is in the game so to say. This can also be advanced by using proper cadences and order distributions, and perhaps establishing orderlies or communicative second in commands that induce constant important conversation between the officer and his staff. If the men wish to talk to alert the staff of something unforeseen, such as cav or a discovered arty position, etc, then they may resort to pts or whatever. However, if the officer staff is as proactive and persistently vigilant as it should be this occasion will be rare. I wonder if anyone would agree with this somewhat radical setup? i realize not many regiments do this, in fact not even mine has got it completely installed yet due to the apprehension of the staff with the the theory  :-\ 

Offline Ryner

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2013, 03:30:18 am »
I'd rather have a regiment that takes the game too seriously than a regiment that is far too relaxed. I'm all for being relaxed when its appropriate however, if you're relaxed all the damned time you start to become troll(y).
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 03:44:35 am by ~Lucifer~ »

Offline Mathias

• Captain
  • 1st place 1v1 and a little more since I forgot
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2013, 03:36:34 pm »
I'd rather have a regiment that takes the game too seriously than a regiment that is far too relaxed. I'm all for being relaxed when its appropriate however, if you're relaxed all the damned time you start to become troll(y).
IDK how, but after reading some how to get better at melee guide and reading one of the instructions called "don't rage quit" It ended up me gfimgfor 1 hr a day.

Offline Sleek

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2013, 12:49:52 am »
SO WHAT I THINK UR SAYING, IS THAT THE 9Y IS TOO RELAXED AND THAT WE ARE A TROLL REGIMENT? HOW DARE YOU
Quote from: Theodin
Sleek somehow only attacks when he’s successfully pulled a dude away and his team is coming to help - as in, the most reasonable time to continue blocking

Sleek plays like he's underwater - slow

Offline Ryner

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2013, 01:17:24 am »
SO WHAT I THINK UR SAYING, IS THAT THE 9Y IS TOO RELAXED AND THAT WE ARE A TROLL REGIMENT? HOW DARE YOU

Whoa there cowboy, don't go 'round making assumptions without proper evidence backing it up.  ???

Offline Xethos

• Knight of Blueberry
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Oprichnik_Marshal_Xethos
« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2013, 02:00:05 am »
I'm going to say too lax is superior. Because "lax" is not synonymous with "trolling" any more than "strict" is synonymous with imperial Japanese military camps. The fact that both options are prefixed with "too", I think it's fair to assume that we aren't comparing a reasonably strict regiment with the Bush Pirates, because a reasonable regiment would not imply that it falls under the criteria of "too strict". So I think it's safe to assume that both choices are going to be uncomfortable and a bad fit.

In my experience, which may not reflect that of everyone else's, regiments that are too strict are simple no fun. If I wanted a perfect re-enactment of exactly how a real regiment performed, I wouldn't be working with WASD. Even then, I know sure as hell that historical regiments weren't made of ice (at least, not the ones I'm familiar with). I'm a stupid American looking to kill time that should have been spent on homework.

Regiments that are too lax are an earful. But they're easier to keep in check during a linebattle. Teamwounding at spawn is a fairly simple way to get removed quickly from the event. At the utmost extreme, they can troll the event until it is wasted. But it's one event gone. The residues? Minimal, for while people may be smouldering at the fact that the regiment messed up the event, but they will certainly be gone by the next time around. If they aren't, it's either an error of the administration or organized trolling (which is a completely different category)

The strict regiments? They're more likely to cause some tension at the event. I've been to more than one and watched certain regiments antagonize other people for not taking the event seriously. I've listened to leaders yell at their regiment for trying to talk to the community. That is hardly an environment in which to play a game. As I said, I don't care much for joining the military.

So there's my peasant opinion, not at all proofread. Take it for what you will.
04:25:13 - [Cup_of_Tea] Hey Xethos! I bet you're a gentleman of less than reputable quality!