Author Topic: Favourite Historic Battles!  (Read 28453 times)

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
  • Ex 77y Pfc, 93rd Private and 18e Grenadier
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: Favourite Historic Battles!
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2015, 01:16:02 am »
Evidence that his troops hated him? Always thought he was a good leader :-\

Offline Colonel Howe

• Donator
  • There isn't a noose tight enough
    • View Profile
    • People's History Podcast
  • Nick: Noah
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2015, 01:24:31 am »
Excuse me, you're forgetting the time Sean Bean slaughtered the entire French army
Fuck off, Nazi scum

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
  • Ex 77y Pfc, 93rd Private and 18e Grenadier
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2015, 01:29:00 am »
Only show where Sean Bean doesn't die. Cos if you play the game of thrones you either win or you die

Offline Conway

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 41stNY_Whatever_Conway
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2015, 01:43:01 am »
Wellingtons troops didn't adore him but he cared a lot for them. He often said the best compliment he ever received was that from a corporal while he was visiting a hospital. The compliment was "If you had been at that battle not as many of us would be here sir." Napoleon however gave no shits about his men. After the battle of Austerlitz when he received the numbers of dead he said "The women of Paris can remake that in one night." Wellingtons men simply followed him because they knew he'd do his best to look out for them. Also about that scum of the earth thing it was said just after the battle of Vitoria when his troops where looting all of the money for which he was going to spend towards the invasion of France. After he made the comment he also said "But what fine fellows we've made of them." #Getrekted

Edit: Most of his men where rapist and thieves/murderers who joined the army to escape being hanged - not the best people in the world.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 01:45:13 am by Conway »

Offline Colonel Howe

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2015, 01:55:52 am »
Wellingtons troops didn't adore him but he cared a lot for them. He often said the best compliment he ever received was that from a corporal while he was visiting a hospital. The compliment was "If you had been at that battle not as many of us would be here sir." Napoleon however gave no shits about his men. After the battle of Austerlitz when he received the numbers of dead he said "The women of Paris can remake that in one night." Wellingtons men simply followed him because they knew he'd do his best to look out for them. Also about that scum of the earth thing it was said just after the battle of Vitoria when his troops where looting all of the money for which he was going to spend towards the invasion of France. After he made the comment he also said "But what fine fellows we've made of them." #Getrekted
Napoleon also cared for the well being of his troops, this can be seen in his correspondence after Eylau. Even before he was Emperor, Napoleon was the master of the "spirit of the army" and utilized to get the best out of his troops in Italy. He petitioned for his under fed and poor equipped men like no other revolutionary general and made the Army of Italy a legitimate fighting force.

The Grand Armee was Napoleon's home for much of his life and to say he didn't care about his men is just wrong, frankly

Also, there's an idea in the minds of some people (No surprise most of them are British) that Napoleon was a murderous tyrant on par with Adolf Hitler, this is also not true. His judicial reforms and enlightened reforms across France and the many other nations he passed through forever changed the political and social structure of Europe. The very fact his troops moved around Europe spread revolutionary ideals that would explode later in European history. While it can be argued Hitler is multi-dimensional, he is by no means on the same level as Napoleon in that regard.

These are numerous excerpts from various correspondence that Napoleon wrote:

'If you wage war, do it energetically and with severity. This is the only way to make it shorter, and consequently less inhuman.'

'You must not needlessly fatigue the troops.'

'A general's principal talent consists in knowing the mentality of the soldier and in gaining his confidence.'

'The ideal army would be the one in which every officer would know what he ought to do in every contingency; the best possible army is the one that comes closest to this. I give myself only half the credit for the battles I have won, and a general gets enough credit when he is named at all, for the fact is that a battle is won by the army.'

'Instead of the lash, I would lead them by the stimulus of honor. I would instill a degree of emulation into their minds. I would promote every deserving soldier...'

'When ignorance has gotten ten men killed where it should have cost two, is it not responsible for the blood of the other eight?'
Fuck off, Nazi scum

Offline Conway

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 41stNY_Whatever_Conway
« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2015, 02:41:20 am »
He understood the importance of his men liking him, that's for sure but his favourite strategy was marching men in columns against enemy lines or cannon fire. Napoleon did it because he wanted the men to adore him and fight for him while Wellington did it because he did not want to see lives wasted needlessly. After the battle of Borodino Napoleon's army suffered roughly 30,000 casualties and its doubtful he cared beyond the fact he had less men. While after the storming of Badajoz Wellington wept over the breach and only suffered 4,800 casualties. "The storming of Badajoz affords as strong an instance of the gallantry of our troops as has ever been displayed. But I greatly hope that I shall never again be the instrument of putting them to such a test as that to which they were put last night"

Offline Colonel Howe

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2015, 05:19:07 am »
He understood the importance of his men liking him, that's for sure but his favourite strategy was marching men in columns against enemy lines or cannon fire. Napoleon did it because he wanted the men to adore him and fight for him while Wellington did it because he did not want to see lives wasted needlessly. After the battle of Borodino Napoleon's army suffered roughly 30,000 casualties and its doubtful he cared beyond the fact he had less men. While after the storming of Badajoz Wellington wept over the breach and only suffered 4,800 casualties. "The storming of Badajoz affords as strong an instance of the gallantry of our troops as has ever been displayed. But I greatly hope that I shall never again be the instrument of putting them to such a test as that to which they were put last night"
The fighting in Spain is a sideshow and skirmish when it comes to causalities, though

It's all relative based off your campaign. To Wellington, 4,800 was a good chunk that deserved morning. High and bloody causalities was nothing new to Napoleon and his army as it saw the worst and bloodiest fighting of the Napoleonic Wars for obvious reasons

The fighting that Napoleon did was far grander, harder, and bloodier than anything Wellington did in Spain and it's because of this that Napoleon could have numbed to causalities in terms of numbers

Also, those quotes above show that Napoleon cared about his men, whether for a tactical advantage is irrelevant as most of that was private correspondence and he would have no motivation to lie in most of it. Wellington could have easily cared about his men for "tactical reasons"

You also have to take into consideration the fact that Britain is primarily a sea power, not a land power at this time so Wellington is forced into a position where he cannot and would not "needlessly waste" soldiers in head on assaults. France is famed for the simple manpower and nationalized armies it could field at this time period though so head on assaults and high causalities could be expected from such a promiment and well-manned land power
Fuck off, Nazi scum

Offline Windflower

• General
  • ex PSG, 30th
    • View Profile
    • my jam
« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2015, 05:20:48 am »

NAPL season 1 saw the greatest regiment winning
ribbit 🐸 cute? 😳 im not cute 😓 i mean my parents 👨‍👩‍👧 call me cute ☺️ but honestly 👉👈 ive never ❌ heard it 👂 from someone else 🗣 before 🥰 thanks i guess? 😳

Offline Colonel Howe

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2015, 05:22:17 am »
 :-*
Fuck off, Nazi scum

Offline Nicholas_PRIME

• Private
  • Consider the goats
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Goat Lord
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2015, 12:56:20 pm »
the sack of carthage
Nicholas          Nicholas
             PRIME

Offline Liman von Sanders

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2015, 05:54:48 pm »
Gallipoli Campaign and Siege of Kut

Offline Reznov

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2015, 05:24:43 pm »
Siege of Kut, *chuckles*

AeroNinja

« Reply #72 on: July 10, 2015, 05:27:46 pm »
Borodino, Waterloo, Ligny, 100 Years war (Anglo-Frank), The 'Holy land' Richard Lionheart vs Saladin's army.

Offline Bootvs

• Second Lieutenant
  • That's Lieutenant Corporal to you.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Butes
« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2015, 09:55:08 am »
The Battle of the Alamo, even though most of the battlefield is now parking space and stores. It was like a pilgrimage for me to go and see it.

Suns

« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2015, 09:57:08 am »
Battle of Leipzig, impressive how Napoleon managed to escape despite being outnumbered so heavily.  :o

Nonetheless inflicting more casualties for the Coalitions.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 10:05:27 am by Suns »