Author Topic: Developer Blog 23 - Sounds -  (Read 26102 times)

Offline MadManYo

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: MadManYo
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Developer Blog 23 - Sounds -
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2014, 12:21:05 am »
I'm on my phone... God Damn it

Offline tico13

• Donator
  • NA Server Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 3rd_Col_Tico
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2014, 06:17:12 pm »
That's really nice!

Hey tico13,

We would like to inform you that we just published our newest weekly Developer Blog!

Developer Blog: Click here to read!

Have fun reading and thank you for signing up to our Forums!

Biggest, saddest lie of my life though :(

Offline Penn

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • If music be the food of love, play on.
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2014, 06:32:49 pm »
That's really nice!

Hey tico13,

We would like to inform you that we just published our newest weekly Developer Blog!

Developer Blog: Click here to read!

Have fun reading and thank you for signing up to our Forums!

Biggest, saddest lie of my life though :(

It is released during the week ;)
Penn and shitz

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2014, 05:22:23 am »
Like how the sounds actually have bass to them. Something severely lacking in a lot of war games. However, it also needs the higher end of the sound spectrum with the crack of the shot.

Also, adding in supremely terrifying bullet flight / ricochet sounds would be amazing.

As a reenactor, that guy loading is a fucking pro. Even with 20th century firearms where rounds are placed on a clip in the case of bolt action rifles (it only helps out a little bit) it's tough to reload quickly.
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline Rejenorst

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2014, 09:34:58 am »
Like how the sounds actually have bass to them. Something severely lacking in a lot of war games. However, it also needs the higher end of the sound spectrum with the crack of the shot.

I assure you its not lacking in treble when I play the sounds individually.  However if you're referring to the typical whip crack sound you hear from a rifle then be aware that that would be magnified if the muzzle velocity exceeds the sound barrier. The minie ball from a Springfield 1863 would have been moving at roughly 289.56 metres per second while the speed of sound is 343 metres per second. A WW2 Kar98 rifle on the other hand would have a muzzle velocity of 860 m/s and a nice whip like crack when firing I assume.

This is also the reasons incoming bullets from the Civil War sounded more like incoming wasps rather than the typical crack you would hear nowadays (as simulated in ARMA 2 or 3).

The rifles to me seemed more of a thick/medium thud like a small cannon with the occasional powdery splutter. I tried to find a youtube video that seems to come close, albeit video cameras can't exactly capture the deepness of the thud when you're standing close; this one does come close to capturing the overall texture of the sound:
Spoiler
[close]

Currently one of my major concerns at the moment is what volume intensity level to go with in regards to rifle sounds. The current sounds you hear in the dev blog for the rifles up close are at 2x increase in volume (while I've tested x3, x2 and x1) and I am not sure if the volume for those will remain the same as they may be painful over longer periods of time and tend to trump a lot of other important sounds while multiple firing sounds at that volume intensity level with bass can potentially exceed certain limits with smaller speakers etc. (This needs further testing and investigating etc but the lower volume versions of the sounds still maintain their bass/treble power but at more relative levels).

Also, adding in supremely terrifying bullet flight / ricochet sounds would be amazing.

I have linked the devs to a particular sound pack I would like for the bullet impacts and whizz sounds. Its quite expensive though so will have to see if we can attain it or not.

As a reenactor, that guy loading is a fucking pro. Even with 20th century firearms where rounds are placed on a clip in the case of bolt action rifles (it only helps out a little bit) it's tough to reload quickly.

The animations can be slowed down and the sounds have been cut up into 9 separate sounds per reload recording to allow for different reload speeds. I will obviously need to go back and edit as needed depending on the length range of the reloads. 
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 10:08:25 am by Rejenorst »
Spoiler

[close]

Offline Insurance Salesman

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2014, 01:18:05 am »

Yes to this. Suppression effects are nowhere near as necessary when the sounds of nearby bullets are enough to make you realize how much danger you are in.

Offline Killington

• Major General
  • Everyone's favourite
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2014, 01:31:54 am »
Quote from: Tico
"Weekly" developer blog
Europeans use metric weeks, have to multiply by 1.6 months to convert the imperial week.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 05:40:55 am by Killington »
In theory we could do huge player numbers far over 500 players per server...  As such we will surely keep our promise to deliver you the 500 players per server.

We will probably go (far) over it, but that's for later.

Offline George385

• Donator
  • nah yeah nah nah yeah nah
    • View Profile
  • Nick: George385
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2014, 05:37:15 am »

Why thank you. :P

Offline Rejenorst

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2014, 06:41:08 am »
I edited your reloads to make sure they would fall within that amount of time by removing all the unessecary sounds and fumbling :p

Reloads on the day of recording took anywhere between 25 seconds to a minute.

12 seconds is a very very short reload. In Gods and generals its demonstrated at being manageable within 16 seconds apprx:
1:07 - 1:23

Spoiler
[close]

For gameplay reasons however I don't know what the final time will be.

Spoiler

[close]

Offline Penn

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2014, 08:38:21 am »
I edited your reloads to make sure they would fall within that amount of time by removing all the unessecary sounds and fumbling :p

Reloads on the day of recording took anywhere between 25 seconds to a minute.

12 seconds is a very very short reload. In Gods and generals its demonstrated at being manageable within 16 seconds apprx:
1:07 - 1:23

Spoiler
[close]

For gameplay reasons however I don't know what the final time will be.

If I'm not mistaken, reloading in NW takes 12 seconds. Which I think is a bit quick. Reloading time for a rifle in NW is around 15 seconds, which I think is a bit to slow. So somewhere in between would be nice :)
Penn and shitz

Offline Rejenorst

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2014, 09:30:58 am »
Sounds good.
Spoiler

[close]

Offline SeanBeansShako

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2014, 05:01:48 pm »
13 seconds does seem fair.

Offline MadManYo

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: MadManYo
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2014, 12:38:27 pm »
Just being historical the average musket reload time was about 15 seconds where as a rifle could take from 25 seconds to 60 seconds to reload

Offline Penn

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2014, 01:00:23 pm »
Just being historical the average musket reload time was about 15 seconds where as a rifle could take from 25 seconds to 60 seconds to reload

Not sure how historically accurate that is, but let's say this: No one will stand and wait for 60 seconds for his weapon to reload in this game xD
People will probably just fire once then go Bayonet for the win.
Penn and shitz

Offline Rejenorst

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2014, 03:01:14 pm »
I've heard the average soldier could get 3 shots off a minute so apprx 20 seconds. In the movie I linked before it was demonstrated at 16 seconds.

I have also heard that a veteran could potentially get off 6 shots a minute but I don't know if that's true :0

Anyone have any sources in regards to the range of reload times?

Spoiler

[close]