Author Topic: Have a question about Modding? Ask Here!  (Read 312310 times)

Offline Grozni

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: RRA_10thRH_SoH_Grozni
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Have a question about Modding? Ask Here!
« Reply #1515 on: June 19, 2016, 06:06:13 pm »
hello, I am making a mod with many new units. in the troop.txt file, you can assign troops different uniforms. however, how do I give the units a custom skin?
I have created a skin called 'british_64th_ranker.dds' but when I assign the unit the uniform ( [itm_british_64th_ranker,...]) and then run the build, it doesn't work! it says that it is invalid! please  help!
You should look around for some basic tutorials before attempting to do this. But main workflow (if you're talking about adding completely new clothes and not just reskin) goes like this:
- Use openBRF to import new model (if any), texture and create new material. Setup the material to use the new texture(s) and the model to use the new material.
- In items.txt or module_items.py add a new item to the list, and make sure it references the new model by the name you gave it in openBRF (the 3d mesh model itself, not the .dds texture). Look at other clothes items for examples.
- In troops.txt or module_troops.py equip the troop with the new clothes item by referencing it by the name you gave it in items.txt

If you're not sure about how to do some of these steps you should really look more into basic tutorials, search around these forums.

hi
 I have managed to do that today, creating a custom body for my 64th soldier. I have added the name in the Module.txt file as well. However, when I click on the soldier in the menu he has no body! I have checked everything but cant get it right, please help?

Most likely reason for that, in case you actually imported new model, is you didn't apply rigging. Rigging is attaching correct parts of model to correct bones. If your model doesn't have option to play animations in openBRF, then rigging is obviously missing. Luckily openBRF has easy way to add it. Just select the most similar model which already exists and do Copy. Then select your model and do Paste rigging (or Paste skinning, depends on openBRF version). After that you should be able to play animations from openBRF and see your model ingame. You can use "make rigging softer/harder" options if animation doesn't look too great.

Offline Grozni

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: June 19, 2016, 06:07:46 pm »
And to add, in case you're not making a completely new mod and wish to keep your game compatible with standard NW servers, you shouldn't be adding new models, you should be replacing old ones.

Offline wiener_snitzel

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 32nd_Gdm_Wiener_Snitzel
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #1517 on: June 21, 2016, 04:06:25 pm »
I recently saw a tread about Postfx and saw if u drag and drop Postfx.txt and Postfx.fx and Mb.fx into your modul of choice it should change the lighting in that modul. I tried this in Native with Viking Conquest Postfx.txt and Postfx.fx and Mb.fx and it worked pretty good expect the grass was white. Then i tried it in Napoleonic Wars and it was a mess, does anybody know how to fix or make this work in Napoleonic Wars?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 04:09:24 pm by wiener_snitzel »

Offline Grozni

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: June 21, 2016, 04:15:40 pm »
Shaders are assigned to materials in .brf files. I guess native and Viking Invasion share a lot of shaders, except for the grass. NW mostly uses its own shaders, so when you overwrite them it'll look like mess, materials with missing shaders are usually white in appearance.

Offline wiener_snitzel

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: June 21, 2016, 05:24:13 pm »
Shaders are assigned to materials in .brf files. I guess native and Viking Invasion share a lot of shaders, except for the grass. NW mostly uses its own shaders, so when you overwrite them it'll look like mess, materials with missing shaders are usually white in appearance.

So there is no way to make this work?

Offline Grozni

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: June 21, 2016, 06:33:56 pm »

So there is no way to make this work?

Use openBRF and see for yourself, each material has a shader assigned and in case of NW materials a lot of assigned shaders do not exist in files you overwrote with. You would have to edit materials to use native shaders, and that is not only tedious but also pointless as NW shaders are better, it would be a step back.

Offline wiener_snitzel

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: June 21, 2016, 07:02:37 pm »
I just did that but only half the texture came back, and i still got tons of those shader parameter errors. I guess its not possible :/

Offline Bamse

• Second Lieutenant
  • Former 15th Hussar SCoH, 16e Hussard Cpt.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 16e_Huss_Lt_Bamse
« Reply #1522 on: June 22, 2016, 02:35:45 am »
Hello there, Im making a resking of the french faction into a swedish faction, im working on the hussar atm but this thing keeps baffleing me.

I have been editing the French equipment_n and equipment_s

but by some reason the  eagle and the number "2" are still shading the emblem i put in there. How the fuck is this possible?!!?!?!?

Anyone have any idea where this mystery original design might be located?
Spoiler
[close]

Current: 16e Regiment de Hussards - Lieutenant Bamse
Past Regiments: 15th Hussars - Staff Corporal of Horse | K1. Kungliga Livgardet Till Häst

Offline Malkolm R. Lind

• Major
  • Why do drugs when you can listen to music?
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Illya
« Reply #1523 on: June 22, 2016, 11:28:12 am »
Hello there, Im making a resking of the french faction into a swedish faction, im working on the hussar atm but this thing keeps baffleing me.

I have been editing the French equipment_n and equipment_s

but by some reason the  eagle and the number "2" are still shading the emblem i put in there. How the fuck is this possible?!!?!?!?

Anyone have any idea where this mystery original design might be located?
Spoiler
[close]
Sounds like a problem with the spec maps. In case you didn't know, the spec maps are those black/white textures in the texture files. They use those textures to add more depth to the look of the uniforms. If a spec map is not changed to match the colored texture, it will be noticed like a little water mark on your texture. Btw, awesome looking hussar you made there, starka Bamse.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 06:24:45 pm by Malkolm R. Lind »

Offline Johny_Nawalony

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: June 24, 2016, 02:37:29 pm »
How can i have many sounds for one thing?
I can do paid skin comissions so yeah msg if ya want one

Offline Lilja Mariasdóttir

• Colonel
  • Ist ein Schaf in einer Tasse
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: June 24, 2016, 02:40:16 pm »
check module_sounds.py, there you have soundIDs that refere to several soundfiles. Example:
Code
("draw_sword",sf_priority_1|sf_vol_3, ["draw_sword.wav","draw_sword2.wav"]),
Just add into the [] brackets as many soundfiles as you want
Seehofer schafft das Heer ab.

Offline Johny_Nawalony

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: June 24, 2016, 02:50:38 pm »
Thanks, Is it posibble to make smoke fly over to one direction?
(Independent of players position)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 07:12:53 pm by Johny_Nawalony »
I can do paid skin comissions so yeah msg if ya want one

Offline Ivkolya

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Ivkolya
« Reply #1527 on: June 25, 2016, 10:23:13 pm »
Hi all! I have an idea to add musicians to the "lord's parties" (now they are regiments) in single-player, and make them play bugles and drums accordingly to what is happening on the battlefield (different calls for charging, shooting etc.). I guess musicians can be made as some unique troops, drums and bugles can be made as weapon with 0 damage. But I don't know how to connect sound to certain order from player, and specifically to actions on the enemy's side, since I don't think bot-commander gives orders at all.
Maybe there is a mod or an OSP, where it already is, so I can take a look?

I don't work with scripts yet, but it is an important question for the future:)

Offline Ivkolya

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Ivkolya
« Reply #1528 on: July 03, 2016, 09:29:47 pm »
Hi all, is there limit for polygons and vertices in scene prop? I checked my unfinished Malakhoff Tower with battery on it, and there are 46000 vertices, and there will be at least half more, because I must add a lot more gabions and sandbags to finish it. I did my best to minimize number of vertices and polygons (deleted nearly all unseen polygons, merged vertices when possible etc, but still there are too much vertices, I think.
And maybe someone can suggest, how is it better to make these walls of sandbags and gabions, so they'll look more or less realistic (it means it can't be done as plain wall, at least I'm sure of it), and in the same time they will contain not so much vertices?

here is screenshot of work so far
Spoiler
[close]

Offline Gokiller

• Almost Pride of Ni
  • Major General
  • Bydand in the chat lads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: July 03, 2016, 11:36:02 pm »
I'm not aware of a certain limit. But it's definitely recommendable to keep it as low as possible. When the amount of polygons is to high. It will cause performance issues and possible crashes if the scene prop is used to much on the map.

Unless you make one scene prop which will be the entire map.

Check the NW scene prop BRF's for reference. Most props are below ~12k.