Author Topic: Movie & TV Show Critic Thread  (Read 63244 times)

Offline Thunderstormer

• FSE Developer
  • Worse than Hotler
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Movie Critic Thread
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2016, 02:05:29 am »
i enjoyed the last samurai.

i too hear hacksaw ridge is good, tho idk if i will go out and see it.(there was some funny stories about it told on one of the late night shows with mel gibson)    Haven't heard anything good or bad about arrival, but it looks interesting. 

deadpool was great.  One of the best movies of the year, and one i enjoy rewatching. 

I didn't know much about Dr Strange so this was a good introduction into who he is.   was a good movie in general.  I think marvel does a pretty good job finding the right actors for the job. 

i enjoyed star trek as well.   heard it wasn't that good before i went out and saw it, but i enjoyed it.  better than some of the comments i seen made it out to be.

captain america was pretty good as well, tho idk if it was as good as #2. 
Should you need to talk to me regarding NA1 or or something regarding admining or the admins, PM me here on the forums and not on steam.  *

*This does not include Official Server Admins.

Offline Gluk the Walrus

• Che Guevara's American Cousin
  • Donator
  • Ex-NANWL Moderator | #RemoveAussies
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Gluk The Walrus
  • Side: Union
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2016, 04:20:25 am »
Why does everyone say that Star Wars Episode IV was the best? I know it was the original film but the beginning was sooo fucking slow and the battle scene wasn't very good imo (compared to their later work with V and VI). If you think about it, at the time the movie was kind of a joke. The people working on the film thought that it was going to tank at box office, including mark hamill and harrison ford. It's kind of weird to think about this but at the time, this movie wasn't meant to hit big, none of the actors were known and the concept of a major sci-fi blockbuster was a serious gamble, the genre before star wars was considered mostly a joke.

Offline junedragon

• Colonel
  • Nr2, 29th, PLG, 63e, Team Canada, 4eme
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2016, 04:34:44 am »
I gets a lot of irrational hate. It wasn't bad. II was just plain bad. III was better than I imho. IV through VI are really open to discussion. Hard to rank any of them really.

Actually I think a lot of people stumble over themselves to attack I (especially Anni and Jar Jar) that they overrate II (and to a lesser extent, III and VII).

« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 04:39:37 am by junedragon »
Why am I still here

Offline Thunderstormer

• FSE Developer
  • Worse than Hotler
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2016, 04:45:14 am »
i don't think i can really rank them.    Like i said before, i didn't care for the love story, and i just skip over it if i can.  I would of preferred if they kept it to be a smaller portion of the movies and showed other more interesting parts.( i would of preferred to learn more about each jedi, especially ones on the council other than the few words they get.  or no words, and just their deaths)

as for Jar Jar.  His character is for the kids honestly.  All the stupid things he said and does were geared to get 5 year olds to laugh.  I don't hate him, but his antics grow tiring the more i watch episode 1.  when i was younger, i didn't really mind it too much. 
Should you need to talk to me regarding NA1 or or something regarding admining or the admins, PM me here on the forums and not on steam.  *

Offline Gluk the Walrus

• Che Guevara's American Cousin
  • Donator
  • Ex-NANWL Moderator | #RemoveAussies
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Gluk The Walrus
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2016, 07:41:11 am »
i don't think i can really rank them.    Like i said before, i didn't care for the love story, and i just skip over it if i can.  I would of preferred if they kept it to be a smaller portion of the movies and showed other more interesting parts.( i would of preferred to learn more about each jedi, especially ones on the council other than the few words they get.  or no words, and just their deaths)

as for Jar Jar.  His character is for the kids honestly.  All the stupid things he said and does were geared to get 5 year olds to laugh.  I don't hate him, but his antics grow tiring the more i watch episode 1.  when i was younger, i didn't really mind it too much.
My problem with jar jar was that they made him central to the plot...like why? You can add an annoying fish monster but does he have to be important!?

Also, i think we can settle the star wars dispute but summing it up as such...

the prequels were garbage

VII was okay and the original trilogy was fantastic.

UPDATE:
New poll! I excluded 1.5 and 2.5 because it seems pointless to add if you plan on rating something lowly, just round down.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 08:01:53 am by Gluk the Walrus »

Offline junedragon

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2016, 08:06:29 am »
Cant wait for Kingsman sequel, one of my favourites from last year.

Also if you haven't seen the Revenant I'd highly recommend it. One of the most beautiful movies I have ever watched, top notch cinematography across diverse and stunning landscapes. Also Tom Hardy is awesome.

As per the poll question I would give VII 4/5. Not fantastic but really good. The return  to lots of practical effects where possible was really nice and the lack of over the top obnoxious CGI was appreciated. The plot was a bit of a rehash but it worked and is understandable given the immense expectations. Solid acting all around too. More excited for Episode VIII.
Why am I still here

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2016, 12:50:29 pm »
Cant wait for Kingsman sequel, one of my favourites from last year.

Also if you haven't seen the Revenant I'd highly recommend it. One of the most beautiful movies I have ever watched, top notch cinematography across diverse and stunning landscapes. Also Tom Hardy is awesome.

Definitely. I used to live in a small town in Alberta when I was a kid and roughly the same area where they did a lot of the filming. Did a lot of hiking, camping etc out there-one of the best periods of my life. Di Caprio's oscar was well deserved for The Revenant imo.

Offline junedragon

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2016, 10:08:23 pm »
Just saw Arrival (intended to see Hacksaw Ridge but theater wasnt playing it for some reason). I have to say this movie turned my expectations on their head and blew me away. Absolutely brilliant sci fi movie. My surprise favourite movie of 2016 so far. Dont expect explosions and riveting action, its not that kind of movie. Rather it presents you with an intelligent yet deeply compelling story, a puzzle that gradually comes together piece by piece with each little twist (leaving just enough hints for you to figure things out yourself if you pay particular attention). Left me with chills.

5/5 go watch it
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 10:10:25 pm by junedragon »
Why am I still here

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2016, 11:32:21 pm »
Nice, might go watch that at some point. Speaking of sci-fi (and I know this is a movie thread but I'll be quick) I was really surprised by how much I liked The Expanse-watched it recently after a recommendation by a friend and it's actually very good. Only the first season too, so now it's had a decent reception they'll pump more money into it for season 2 (which comes out Feb 2017).

Offline Thunderstormer

• FSE Developer
  • Worse than Hotler
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2016, 12:58:47 am »
Arrival will probably be one of those movies i see on netflix or some other like device.(doubtful i will get it on dvd)  I don't like getting robbed by the movie theaters every time i go.(carmike cinemas has horrific prices.  even before they were bought by AMC, who is owned by some Chinese group i believe)  if ticket prices, and other things like popcorn and pop weren't so damn expensive, or if there were other theaters nearby that were better for the price, i would go.(there was one theater i loved going to, $5 tickets at anytime, very cheap popcorn, pop, and candy, larger screen than carmike, better sound, and just a better place in general was shut down and replaced despite it being successful.  some restaurant/movie combo took its place and they aren't as good imo.)

still debating about seeing hacksaw ridge.

and lucifer is a good tv show imo.

Offline BabyJesus

• General
  • #1 Cringe poster and lover of Anna Kendrick
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Most Average MVP of All Time
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2016, 02:17:01 am »
There's a movie theater by me that is like $1 for a ticket. Usually it takes awhile for them to get newer movies.
1st NWPC S2(21st)|(1st) 5v5 Draft~NA GroupFighting Tournament  |1st♕Rex's 6v6 Tournament | 1st TNWL S2(71st) | 1st NWL S5 (58e) | 3rd place Sleeks 5v5 (Highschoole DxD)
You are by far the best average player to touch this game.
Quote from: Risk
The BEST average player of all time

Offline junedragon

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2016, 02:46:09 am »
I pretty much only watch movies on tuesdays now cause half price. $6/movie is aight,. They used to have a deal of admission + regular/medium popcorn + regular/medium drink for $9.99 on tuesdays but RIP.
Why am I still here

Offline Windflower

• General
  • ex PSG, 30th
    • View Profile
    • my jam
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2016, 03:04:19 am »
My top 5 favourite movies would probably be as follows;

1. Whiplash
2. The Butterfly Effect
3. Taxi Driver
4. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
5. Spirited Away (nostalgia reasons)

NAPL season 1 saw the greatest regiment winning
ribbit 🐸 cute? 😳 im not cute 😓 i mean my parents 👨‍👩‍👧 call me cute ☺️ but honestly 👉👈 ive never ❌ heard it 👂 from someone else 🗣 before 🥰 thanks i guess? 😳

Offline Thunderstormer

• FSE Developer
  • Worse than Hotler
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2016, 03:08:46 am »
I pretty much only watch movies on tuesdays now cause half price. $6/movie is aight,. They used to have a deal of admission + regular/medium popcorn + regular/medium drink for $9.99 on tuesdays but RIP.
yea, those type of deals are the only ones worth it, but they tend to be only on certain days and at certain times.  tho, at the theater i mentioned above, $10 was enough for ticket, popcorn, and a drink.  basically double that at carmikes.   

and i would recommend mel brook's movies.  Funny as hell.

Offline Windflower

• General
  • ex PSG, 30th
    • View Profile
    • my jam
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2016, 03:27:28 am »

NAPL season 1 saw the greatest regiment winning
ribbit 🐸 cute? 😳 im not cute 😓 i mean my parents 👨‍👩‍👧 call me cute ☺️ but honestly 👉👈 ive never ❌ heard it 👂 from someone else 🗣 before 🥰 thanks i guess? 😳