Author Topic: Let's discuss: Farbism!  (Read 27990 times)

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: Let's discuss: Farbism!
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2014, 04:36:07 am »
I suppose this is one of those opinions you should keep to yourself but since it's on topic.

My biggest gripe is no mater how museum quality your uniform looks what makes your impression is if you look like a soldier of the period. Of coarse this is a pretty unrealistic and impossible for some to do but if your old or over weight no matter how much time you put into your uniform you simple do not look like somebody of the period which I think is more important than how you wear your gear or it's construction.
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2014, 05:06:32 am »
I suppose this is one of those opinions you should keep to yourself but since it's on topic.

My biggest gripe is no mater how museum quality your uniform looks what makes your impression is if you look like a soldier of the period. Of coarse this is a pretty unrealistic and impossible for some to do but if your old or over weight no matter how much time you put into your uniform you simple do not look like somebody of the period which I think is more important than how you wear your gear or it's construction.

This so much. One of the main things originally deterring me from reenactment was that half the people looked like they would keel over and have a heart attack if they so much marched at anything more than a walking pace. Understandably it's an unrealistic goal to have everyone in tip top shape for their impressions, but it's pretty damn annoying seeing people looking like that. Also it's fine to me if only a couple people in the group are super old or overweight, but if close to the entire unit looks like that it just ruins it.

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2014, 07:16:24 am »
You seems forget that ACW reenacting thrives in America.  If all event stuck with period weights. I'm sure like 90% of reenactors would drop out. 

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2014, 12:05:45 pm »
To get into the army back in the day, did they have some kind of special ability test or something? Wouldnt it have been possible that people that are overweight actually took part in it, but obviously lost weight the longer they stayed? Not that it is very common to be overweight back in the day, but you know, just wondering. There must have been some overweight people.

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2014, 01:00:55 pm »

Actually, I was having a discussion about this with my father the other day. You could be a lard-ass with amazing paperwork and a Grade A first person impression and know the language you're using very well conversationally and have the finest dirty wool money can buy... but to anyone else you don't look like the soldier you're trying to portray. You're a fatbody in a uniform and you look hilarious when you sit down to take your hit or take a knee instead of going to prone because you may not be able to pick yourself up again.

One of these days I'm going to get too old to realistically portray a regular soldier of the time period and I'll have to pick up another duty - Volksturm for example. Something I see too often are guys who go, "Yeah, I'm too old to be in the line anymore, so I'll become an officer." and it fucks everything up with top-heavy units. It's ridiculous seeing a full Battalion command staff and then 25 guys in the line. I could go on and on about why ACW isn't as fun as it used to be and is dying. Also, why WWI and WWII is booming.

--

In regards to buying junk at first and then slowly replacing it - well, there's merit and detriment to that. Sure you can get all the gear you need right away, but you're buying absolute crap that will fall apart on you and your impression will look like shit. You don't dress up to look at yourself all day or you'd have to carry a large mirror with you everywhere you went. You look good for everyone else around you. People notice good impressions. It makes them go, "Damn, that guy looks great." and it inspires them to perform better.

For example, my father and I running through the woods with our combat impression being very nearly 1:1 with how they did it back then whipped all the other units in our area into shape and its starting to have a domino effect. Leading by example is very real and also very fun. Who doesn't like getting complimented on their historical costume and looking the part?

Back on the main topic, is that if plenty of people go the easy way and buy shit at first, that's a lot of shit being bought. That's why you'll go down to the Sutlers and there's Paki uniforms and cheap leathers and tin fucking EVERYWHERE. It's because there's a market for it and it drowns out the sales of people who sell more quality items that are just a little bit more expensive. This isn't unique to ACW either. It's honestly something to think about when you're bringing in someone who doesn't know jack shit about reenacting and is essentially trusting you with his purchases.
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline Mr. Kochi

• First Lieutenant
  • Baah! Baah baah, baah? Baah baah!
    • View Profile
    • The Skin Warehouse
  • Nick: Mr. James Koach
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2014, 10:15:22 pm »
You chaps at least have the resources to get historically accurate uniforms and equipment, but outside 1st world we have very big problems with both materials and experienced sutlers that know what they're doing. I, for instance, can't afford buying stuff from Europe or the US and bringing it down here to Argieland. Not only the price is unaffordable, but the shipping costs and customs tax outright get them out of consideration.

All I (and the other Argentinian reenactment groups) have left are, as far as I know, two or three costume designers that double as uniform tailors, a few shoemakers that make us cartridge boxes and leather straps, and three gunsmiths in the entire country that actually know how flintlocks work. And out of which, two are elitist arseholes that hate reenactors. Nobody knows how to make shakos, or extra gear such as cooking and camp equipment.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2014, 10:46:39 pm »
You chaps at least have the resources to get historically accurate uniforms and equipment, but outside 1st world we have very big problems with both materials and experienced sutlers that know what they're doing. I, for instance, can't afford buying stuff from Europe or the US and bringing it down here to Argieland. Not only the price is unaffordable, but the shipping costs and customs tax outright get them out of consideration.

All I (and the other Argentinian reenactment groups) have left are, as far as I know, two or three costume designers that double as uniform tailors, a few shoemakers that make us cartridge boxes and leather straps, and three gunsmiths in the entire country that actually know how flintlocks work. And out of which, two are elitist arseholes that hate reenactors. Nobody knows how to make shakos, or extra gear such as cooking and camp equipment.

THen one knows what business to start up. Seruosly, if the demand is that high, you could make a lot of money, if you knew how to make the stuff, true enough.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Mr. Kochi

• First Lieutenant
  • Baah! Baah baah, baah? Baah baah!
    • View Profile
    • The Skin Warehouse
  • Nick: Mr. James Koach
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2014, 11:50:38 pm »
THen one knows what business to start up. Seruosly, if the demand is that high, you could make a lot of money, if you knew how to make the stuff, true enough.

The demand isn't really high. Take into account there are less than 100 reenactors in the whole country, and reenactment is prohibited by law in most of south america (well, not reenactment itself, but carrying around guns and shooting blanks in fancy clothes). The problem is, these six or seven guys that make all the reenactment stuff kinda have an oligopoly going on, their quality tends to be overall crappy and the prices, although nowhere near as expensive as importing the stuff, is quite high for a normal mid class person.

For instance, there is only one guy I know that makes briquets in this country. He charged me 1100 pesos for it, and this is what I got:

It weights a fuckton, the handle's loose from the rest of the blade, making it dance around, the shape is wrong and don't get me started on the scabbard. It tends to get stuck in there, and sometimes it wont come out.

Offline Vincenzo

• Flying Squirrel Dev
  • FSE Developer
  • Dutchman living in Allenstein, Ostpreußen.
    • View Profile
    • Flying Squirrel Entertainment
  • Nick: FSE_Vincenzo
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2014, 11:56:01 pm »
1100 Argentine Peso equals
98.865 Euro

so you paid like 100 euro for that crap. in europe you can get for that money a proper replica... maybe even less.

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2014, 11:59:29 pm »
pretty sure you can get a really decent sabre briquet over here for a 100 euros
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness

Offline EdwardC

• Donator
  • Cyberbullying + Memes = FSE Forums
    • View Profile
    • 9th East Norfolk
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2014, 01:16:35 am »
What's a good name for this one?
[close]

Offline Completenoob

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2014, 02:05:08 am »

I am personally fairly lenient to age or body shape\type as long as they are fit enough to survive day of proper re-enacting, as ambiguous and bit rare such cases are. Case in point is friend of mine who looks like he got mild beer gut and flabby neck, but he can low crawl in full gear + flak jacket (real one with plates that is, not just some replica or watered-down display) just fine alongside running and other physical activities. He may not look like capable of re-enacting at first glance, but he sure can pull off the part just fine.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 02:09:22 am by Completenoob »

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2014, 02:18:45 am »
Flak vest?  Your bud reenact vietnam?

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2014, 08:13:19 am »
You can be fat, but still have well trained muscles. It is not like that is not possible. But the thing is, that the rations etc. were so bad back then that there just was no way to get fat.

Offline Ililsa

• Major
  • This knife of Sheffield steel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Retired_Ililsa
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2014, 09:18:57 am »
It weights a fuckton, the handle's loose from the rest of the blade, making it dance around, the shape is wrong and don't get me started on the scabbard. It tends to get stuck in there, and sometimes it wont come out.

Sounds like Cold Steel quality (and price, for the matter)
Crawling back to you,
Ever thought of calling when you've had a few? 'cause I always do.
FUCKING MEDIEVAL HIPSTERS