Author Topic: Help wanted for upcoming Napoleonic Wars patch  (Read 14276 times)

Offline Thunderstormer

• FSE Developer
  • Worse than Hotler
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Help wanted for upcoming Napoleonic Wars patch
« on: August 19, 2017, 12:17:10 am »
After discussion with the FSE team, we are looking into a patch for NW.   The general idea arose to patch NW for another perhaps last time.  The idea is to squash any exploits, bugs and other things that have been plaguing the game for ages

So, this thread is for you all to help point out said bugs, and if there are any fixes that you made, or where to find them.   if we can get  all the various fixes together, we can update the game that will hopefully make sure it lasts longer while not being plagued with cheaters or annoying bugs.

because this is a serious thread, please don't fill it with "this should of been done years ago"  or things like that.   What has been done is done.  I will just remove those comments.   So, if you would like to help out, please post about the issues above.  Even if you don't know how to fix a bug, or where the bug is in the code, you can still post to let us know about it.

Another subject to discuss  is about mods.   There have been some good mods over the years.  If there is a mod everyone loves and is good, we may be able to put it in the base game with the authors consent.  You would be given credit for your work.

The more you help out, the better and faster this will go.   The more people that see this, the better.

There may be some balance changes as well.(depends.)  So i will make another thread and link to it.  talk about balance to your hearts content in that thread.  The primary goal will be to fix the issues above but if there is a good consensus about an issue, we can look into balancing it.   here is the link

https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?topic=36935.0
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 02:13:22 am by Thunderstormer »
Should you need to talk to me regarding NA1 or or something regarding admining or the admins, PM me here on the forums and not on steam.  *

*This does not include Official Server Admins.

Offline Vincenzo

• Flying Squirrel Dev
  • FSE Developer
  • Dutchman living in Allenstein, Ostpreußen.
    • View Profile
    • Flying Squirrel Entertainment
  • Nick: FSE_Vincenzo
  • Side: Union
Re: Help wanted for upcomming Napoleonic Wars patch
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 12:18:52 am »
I'm Vincenzo and I endorse this message. Thank you. God bless.

Offline Lilja Mariasdóttir

• Colonel
  • Ist ein Schaf in einer Tasse
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Help wanted for upcoming Napoleonic Wars patch
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 01:42:44 am »
A few bugs, that "should of been done years ago", easy to fix:

1. In at least one script for classes the french light officer is defined as flagbearer.
2. Infinitely digging an earth wall.
3. Stacking planks into the sky.
4. various scripts for scene props check for valid prop with "greater than 0", that causes some rare and random bugs from time to time, if the actual prop has the ID 0.
5. Infinitely artilleryammunition with no need to take another.
6. No serverside check for naked bodyparts.
7. Better synchronisation for doors.
8. No serversidecheck for using of spyglasses.
9. Actual Scenename in the Serverrules (and whatelse is wrong there, I dont know)

Easy "Why isnt this a thing yet" ideas:
1. Healing an agent heals also his horse

Some "probably too late""nice to have" ideas:
1. More possibilities to manipulate the client from serverside, or clientside (for example more string possibilities, more variables to change, maybe some unassigned buttons that send unused information to the server, that can be used serverside for features, assigning the client via modulesystem adminship, custom polls, a few unused itemclones for some gamemodes), anything what doesnt change the normal game, but can be used for servermodifications.

That just is what came into my mind immediatly. Most stuff is super easy to do, mostly just 1, or 2 changed lines of code.
I surely forgot a bunch of other bugs, who cares.

Edit: My advice would be, after nobody cared for such a long time, fix the bugs only in such a way, that servers stay compatible, or you will have many serverexpansions not working anymore, for bugfixes that are small and should have been done years ago. But I think every piece of what I proposed should be possible without making the client incompatible with actual servers.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 01:48:27 am by Kanade Tachibana »
Seehofer schafft das Heer ab.

Offline tired

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [BBG] tired
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 02:04:49 am »
I might add more posts or edit this as I think of more, not sure which would be better.

1. Class limits enabled effect commander battle - i.e. can set the percentage of players that can choose cav

2. Specifically for NW - this coming from a bot server supplier - that bots would act more like native bots and not try to reload and shoot from 10m away. Maybe they can increase the distance the bots switch from reloading/shooting to melee

3. Also that bots would destroy defenses like in for example - Full Invasion. I know one of the creators usnavy30 still floats around on this forum and taleworlds.

Offline Takerith

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 02:14:56 am »
It depends on how far you want to go with the update overall, but what I would really like is for the "ambiguity" in NW to be removed entirely, or at least largely.

What I mean by this is that there are too many myths and legends surrounding various aspects of the game that have never been sufficiently answered for many people. For example, some people still believe that Foot Guards are worse at shooting but better in melee, or have more health, or whatever. I've looked through the files and, to my knowledge, the only difference is that Foot Guards have ~15 extra Polearms proficiency, but this is never displayed in-game, so people are free to spread misinformation. I think there should be a stats menu for each unit in the selection screen (which lists troop proficiency and equipment) which would provide a definitive answer on which units are better or worse.

There are a few other myths that could be solved by adding more in-game info too, such as: 1. the existence of bullet drop (and in the same vein, if there is a cosmetic bullet and an invisible bullet), 2. whether aiming for longer provides an accuracy buff, 3. the reach and speed of an up or down attack, and maybe some other stuff I can't think of. According to this comment made by Olafson a few years ago (https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?topic=9743.msg347908#msg347908), no. 1 and 2 are true, but so many people just don't know about them because they aren't displayed in-game.

Offline Thunderstormer

• FSE Developer
  • Worse than Hotler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 02:33:22 am »
It depends on how far you want to go with the update overall, but what I would really like is for the "ambiguity" in NW to be removed entirely, or at least largely.

What I mean by this is that there are too many myths and legends surrounding various aspects of the game that have never been sufficiently answered for many people. For example, some people still believe that Foot Guards are worse at shooting but better in melee, or have more health, or whatever. I've looked through the files and, to my knowledge, the only difference is that Foot Guards have ~15 extra Polearms proficiency, but this is never displayed in-game, so people are free to spread misinformation. I think there should be a stats menu for each unit in the selection screen (which lists troop proficiency and equipment) which would provide a definitive answer on which units are better or worse.

There are a few other myths that could be solved by adding more in-game info too, such as: 1. the existence of bullet drop (and in the same vein, if there is a cosmetic bullet and an invisible bullet), 2. whether aiming for longer provides an accuracy buff, 3. the reach and speed of an up or down attack,(if you are talking about in game stats for weapons to show and maybe some other stuff I can't think of. According to this comment made by Olafson a few years ago (https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?topic=9743.msg347908#msg347908), no. 1 and 2 are true, but so many people just don't know about them because they aren't displayed in-game.
those would require changes to the client side presentations file. 
Should you need to talk to me regarding NA1 or or something regarding admining or the admins, PM me here on the forums and not on steam.  *

Offline usnavy30

• Colonel
  • Former Freelance Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 10:42:34 pm »
3. Also that bots would destroy defenses like in for example - Full Invasion. I know one of the creators usnavy30 still floats around on this forum and taleworlds.
I've been around modding this game for a while now, but I'm no scripter nor do I know how better AI work to prioritize destroying defenses.. far as I know bots just do that if it is in their immediate way to hit a player.
How To Run A Mod Installer.exe
Hello.. I have a problem... It says I don't have Mount&Blade Warband: Napoleonic War and I have to buy it
Try joining a regular Napoleonic Wars server and then re-running the installer.

Offline Dazzer

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 11:26:18 am »
Would it be possible to make the unit tab show how many people are playing as a certain rank? For example it would say that 3 people are playing as a British German legion drummer. It could be shown right next to the rank.

Offline Thunderstormer

• FSE Developer
  • Worse than Hotler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 11:42:18 am »
Would it be possible to make the unit tab show how many people are playing as a certain rank? For example it would say that 3 people are playing as a British German legion drummer. It could be shown right next to the rank.
ah, i would say its possible, but it would require a client side change in the presentations file.  plus probably some other changes else where.

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 11:50:21 am »
ah, i would say its possible, but it would require a client side change in the presentations file.  plus probably some other changes else where.
Only presentation file.

Offline Dazzer

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 07:43:35 pm »
So it could be done in the patch then?

Offline Almqvist

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2017, 11:29:51 pm »
Theres this bug where sometimes i loose melee 1 v 1's
and this is from a 13 year old kid

Offline Keita

• Major General
  • deco, mezzala, regista, guiniesta, picolas nepe
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2017, 11:36:19 pm »
Theres this bug where sometimes i loose melee 1 v 1's
it's called being shit
balenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balenci

Offline Thunderstormer

• FSE Developer
  • Worse than Hotler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2017, 02:03:28 am »
Only presentation file.
ah, ok i wasn't sure if you needed to make a script to do all the counting and what not. 

So it could be done in the patch then?
no.    We are making changes to the server side.  that request is changing your client side file.   and while we can fix stuff in the presentation file, you would have to take it and put it on your client to work.

There was one change i did do so far to the present file, and that is too make it show the map name, even on maps where you download or they were modified.(which is the current issue)  I still need to test it.     People could make use of this change, when we release the stuff by putting it on your client side stuff.   but if you are using other mods, like kanades admin tool, then you would have to merge the 2 together.  I don't think it would be worth giving up his tool, just so the map name in show game rules works.(which people ignore anyways, and just go straight to playing)

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2017, 07:33:14 am »
There was one change i did do so far to the present file, and that is too make it show the map name, even on maps where you download or they were modified.(which is the current issue)  I still need to test it.     People could make use of this change, when we release the stuff by putting it on your client side stuff.   but if you are using other mods, like kanades admin tool, then you would have to merge the 2 together.  I don't think it would be worth giving up his tool, just so the map name in show game rules works.(which people ignore anyways, and just go straight to playing)
Didnt know this wont be a real patch. The admintool will be updated later of course (especially the french light officer, which doesnt trigger the officeraimscript, through the fse bug).