Author Topic: Gaming PC Builds  (Read 77242 times)

Offline MrTiki

• Former Moderator
  • Senior Madmin EU
    • View Profile
  • Nick: MrTiki
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Gaming PC Builds
« Reply #495 on: August 10, 2019, 01:42:06 pm »
A couple things about RAM:

1) RAM will only work at the same speed together. If you've got 1 set which can only get to 2666, buying a set of 3000 will only work up to 2666, so you're wasting money essentially (vs buying a 2nd 2666 kit). Also, RAM is very susceptible to compatibility issues at the best of time, even more so on Ryzen systems, and using 4 sticks of dual channel rather than quad channel (two kits of 2 vs 1 kit of 4 sticks) can be finicky to say the least.
2) More RAM barely helps for gaming past 16GB atm considering the massive extra cost. Much better to spend the money on a better CPU cooler, storage, monitor, whatever else you're looking to upgrade. If you're video encoding or 3D rendering, by all means more RAM will make a big difference, otherwise I'd stick to 16GB.
3) Overclocking RAM is only easy if you're just enabling XMP profiles, while it's technically overclocking it's also not really (as in it's tested and sold to do 3200 for example, it's not about pushing limits per se). If you get into actually pushing past what it's sold for and messing with sub timings then it's often complicated and frustrating, will involve clearing CMOS a lot. You can get a lot out of it, but up to you if the effort's worth it.

Faster RAM is only financially sensible up to about 3200, beyond that its very much diminishing returns.

Offline John Price

• Block guys what is this!?
  • General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #496 on: August 10, 2019, 03:23:53 pm »
If I'm installing SSD's on my workplaces computers, is there a way to straight copy my coworkers' preexisting desktops, programs and all, to the SSD? It would save me some time but it's not a huge deal.

Edit: On a personal note, would I see more change out of 16 gigabytes of faster mhz RAM, say 3200mhz, or adding 16GB more to my existing 16GB RAM clocked at 2666?
That depends on how much RAM you actually use. If you never go up to your current 16GB limit it you would barely notice anything, bar maybe Windows loading some core objects faster. Considering the price of RAM these days that speed increase would be noticable but not enough for what your paying. If you really want to upgrade, you can just purchase any dual channel memory (thats the same speed) as long as you are running them in dual channel mode for your Mobo, it really doesn't matter if its mixed and matched with another brand frankly. Now if it was server memory thats a different story.

Also if its for work, I couldn't recommend one of these enough:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-SATA-Drive-Duplicator-Eraser/dp/B00G6TG5YE/ref=sr_1_8?adgrpid=61764844544&gclid=Cj0KCQjwkK_qBRD8ARIsAOteukDpdQP3Tq2bg9otpMtVUPY4MQ_5CzKmZZ-JXL2lgcb-z6Sv6PvUh-saAnnREALw_wcB&hvadid=267291336191&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1006681&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t2&hvqmt=e&hvrand=13946403756280165517&hvtargid=kwd-318931991262&hydadcr=4426_1795165&keywords=docking+station+startech&qid=1565288653&s=gateway&sr=8-8

Its essentially a 2 port dock which at the press of a button will copy EVERYTHING in the exact same pre existing state from one drive to another. It can also be used to just insert drives and use it as a hard drive dock to copy data, however you like to play it. There is also a button on the back that will erase all data on the drives pretty damn quickly.

I've bought one of these for my last 3 companies I've worked at over the last 5 1/2 years. I consider it to be a necessity as you can always find use out of it. Only limitation is it won't be able to clone from a bigger drive to a smaller one as the sectors will error.

There are various softwares out there although tbh I alternate between them depending on what its for.
So I should be able to transfer from 500GB HDD's to 500GB SSD's or should I aim for a larger SSD to prevent that error?
That will be fine.
Knightmare is from Albania, no?
Sorry, I can't accept this team.

Offline Cameron.

• Second Lieutenant
  • And still I rise
    • View Profile
    • No need to cringe you w my experience
  • Nick: Loyalty, Honour, Integrity
« Reply #497 on: August 10, 2019, 04:51:25 pm »
Someone show me a good PC build for £3000.
I cant build but could learn if its way cheaper.
Need it to play Arma 3 and Bannerlord.
SSD if possible.
love you

Spoiler
[close]

Offline MrTiki

• Former Moderator
  • Senior Madmin EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: August 10, 2019, 06:37:46 pm »
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/yR9sRJ

You've got almost 600 quid left to choose a nice case, monitor and any other peripheries you want, plus case fans, thermal paste etc. And that's with Win 10 thrown in there too.
Something like this will be relevant for the next 8+ years barring any major leaps in technology which seem pretty unlikely at this point.

Building PCs is honestly easy, it's nerve wracking the first time because everything's expensive but you'd be amazed what you can get away with. This is a bit clickbait-y etc but it's a good demonstration at least:
Spoiler
[close]

Offline Cameron.

• Second Lieutenant
  • And still I rise
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: August 10, 2019, 06:53:29 pm »
ty m'lord
is there any benefit to having a 16gb gpu or nope

Spoiler
[close]

Offline MrTiki

• Former Moderator
  • Senior Madmin EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: August 10, 2019, 08:19:35 pm »
Not if you don't do video encoding. The Radeon VII isn't made for gaming in terms of the balance of specs. Unfortunately we're still stuck with nvidia when it comes to the top end cards.

Not to say you wouldn't get more fps out of buying a 2080 ti over a 2080 super, but given the extra 400 pound cost, you're FAR better off spending the extra money on a large, high refresh rate 1440p monitor so you actually appreciate it instead of having 5% more fps on a 1080p 60hz 21"panel.

Offline Marceaux

• Donator
  • Je suis immortel.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1er_Capitaine_Marceaux
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #501 on: August 11, 2019, 01:12:22 am »
Love the suggested build tiki, however ide probably go with the new TridentZ NEO 3600mhz as its made and tuned specifically for Ryzen and apparently makes quite a difference. But damn i am jealous of that $3000+ budget for a build. And like tiki said, for sure go with a good monitor of at least 144hz 23-24 inches+ as it will make the whole experience so much better which i just recently learned myself when i got my new monitor.

Trident Z Neo
https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232866?Description=trident%20z%20neo&cm_re=trident_z_neo-_-20-232-866-_-Product
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 04:28:36 am by Marceaux »

Offline Cameron.

• Second Lieutenant
  • And still I rise
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: August 11, 2019, 11:20:14 am »
Alright ty someone has made a build that looks insane and basically made for Arma, will send it in later.
I deadass play on a tiny TV it looks kind of shit however thats the look I like I sold my old gaming monitor after a few days.
Now I jus need to learn how to build a PC or pay someone to do it and trust they don’t steal it all

Spoiler
[close]

Offline MrTiki

• Former Moderator
  • Senior Madmin EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: August 11, 2019, 03:42:26 pm »
Made for Ryzen is marketing, you can spend more if you want, but you really won't be getting that much more performance for a fairly hefty price increase. Even with extra frequency and tighter timings it's not worth it imo. Spending an extra 100 pounds on 5-10 fps isn't my idea of value, but to each their own.
Also idk if it changed since yesterday but for some reason the RAM in my list was like 400 quid, obviously don't spend that much, you can get 32Gb for 160-200 pounds depending on timings and frequency.

Also, if you're playing on a TV the refresh rate will be trash, I really can't recommend a good monitor enough, but up to you. Not to mention the lack of detail you'll be getting, so you're actually not even using most of the PC.
Imho, if you're happy with your TV then that's fine, but you won't notice any difference between a 3000 pound PC and whatever you currently have, so I don't really see why you want an insane build.

Offline Cameron.

• Second Lieutenant
  • And still I rise
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: August 11, 2019, 04:36:34 pm »
Insane build to play Arma on ultra tbh and ye idk I’ve added you on steam I’ll send the link to the parts I’m thinking of getting

Spoiler
[close]

Offline Marceaux

• Donator
  • Je suis immortel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: August 11, 2019, 07:10:48 pm »
Made for Ryzen is marketing, you can spend more if you want, but you really won't be getting that much more performance for a fairly hefty price increase. Even with extra frequency and tighter timings it's not worth it imo. Spending an extra 100 pounds on 5-10 fps isn't my idea of value, but to each their own.
Also idk if it changed since yesterday but for some reason the RAM in my list was like 400 quid, obviously don't spend that much, you can get 32Gb for 160-200 pounds depending on timings and frequency.

Also, if you're playing on a TV the refresh rate will be trash, I really can't recommend a good monitor enough, but up to you. Not to mention the lack of detail you'll be getting, so you're actually not even using most of the PC.
Imho, if you're happy with your TV then that's fine, but you won't notice any difference between a 3000 pound PC and whatever you currently have, so I don't really see why you want an insane build.

The neo is about the same price. Maybe $10-$20 more depending on the site you buy from. But yeah why get a 3K PC and play on low res, low refresh rate and low response and likely bad colors. Defeats the purpose. And if you like a small screen just get small IPS monitor so you at least get that gorgeous picture.

Offline Marceaux

• Donator
  • Je suis immortel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: August 14, 2019, 07:57:04 pm »
Well i finally made up my mind and went with the R5 3600. I am so excited to get this bad boiiii!
And got some Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut paste as well to keep it EXTRA icyyyyy.

Offline Cameron.

• Second Lieutenant
  • And still I rise
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: August 14, 2019, 09:17:22 pm »
My new one will be this almost part for part with one or two minor adjustments

i may jus say fuck it and get some jewellery as idk how to build and apparently for this expert it was hard xD

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Camerong1/saved/c98mgs

Spoiler
[close]

Offline Marceaux

• Donator
  • Je suis immortel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: August 14, 2019, 10:20:52 pm »
My new one will be this almost part for part with one or two minor adjustments

i may jus say fuck it and get some jewellery as idk how to build and apparently for this expert it was hard xD

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Camerong1/saved/c98mgs

List is private so we cant see it from the link.

I believe just about anyone can build a PC i have literally seen children under 10 years old build them with a little guidance. It seems much more complex then it really is tbh dont be afraid.

Offline Cameron.

• Second Lieutenant
  • And still I rise
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: August 15, 2019, 02:32:00 am »
That’s awkward I’ve been in Scotland for a day or two and here for a week or so longer and only had that link so now I can’t dhare it w you eks de

Spoiler
[close]