Author Topic: Need help in my CW Equipment search  (Read 4337 times)

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
  • I'm still here. Dunno why.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: ClearlyInvsible
  • Side: Union
Need help in my CW Equipment search
« on: April 23, 2013, 02:39:35 am »
Hey guys, as some of you know I'm planning on joining a regiment n my area, but I need to get the neccisary supplies first. I've got the cash on hand that I need to buy most of the supplies, but I'm still minus a lot of the importaint stuff.

First off, I can't find any good brogan sulters. I dunno why it's so hard to find some bloody boots. Second, I can't find anywhere to get cartridges. I can roll 'em myself but after the last... incident I had with black powder I'd rather just by them premade. Thirdly would be a musket, specifically a 1853 3 Band Lee Enfield. I have a place where I can get it now, but it doesn't come with a bayonet (Last thing I want is an ill fitting bayonet).

Leatherworks I've got down, as with the uniform and pretty much all of my clothing (Minus the brogans). I know it's a big list, but I figured knowing that there's a lot of vetted CW reenactors here on FSE I could get a hand finding order points.

Thanks!
"No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it."- Andrew Carnegie
“A man who has no conscience, no goodness, does not suffer.” - Khaled Hosseini
Faggots will burn in hell anyway, who cares.

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Need help in my CW Equipment search
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 02:54:51 am »
Hey mate,

Had a accident with your cartridge? sounds scary anyway,

As for Brogans, I heard a lot of good review about Robert Land 

http://www.robertlandhistoricshoes.com/servlet/StoreFront   

Also I'm guessing you need supplies such as for camping? 

http://www.regtqm.com/
Has everything and its mainstream quality. Except the Campaigner section, thats some nice high quality stuff. See anything you need there, i suggest nab it before checking out the mainstream ones. 

Meanwhile, check out the Sutler topic. I believe you'll find long list of ACW Sutlers ranging from Mainstream quality to Museum Quality.

Offline munky-wunky

• Captain
  • Oh, I'm a good old rebel, Now thats just what I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 02:56:36 am »
nice deovindice, i was going to post regtQm,

but ya what he said is correct, both sites have great gear that you were looking into
Spoiler
Welcome to FSE hun. Enjoy your stay on s.s. Duuring. Lifeboat is to be found on upper left corner as "log out". We wish you enjoy the journey. Thank you for choosing Dutch Sea For your vacation.
[close]

Offline MichaelJ.Caboose

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 03:09:21 am »
You should be able to buy some cartridges off someone in your unit, or at an event. I would also check and see if anyone in your unit is selling any extra gear that you need. 

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 03:30:41 am »
Hey mate,

Had a accident with your cartridge? sounds scary anyway,

As for Brogans, I heard a lot of good review about Robert Land 

http://www.robertlandhistoricshoes.com/servlet/StoreFront   

Also I'm guessing you need supplies such as for camping? 

http://www.regtqm.com/
Has everything and its mainstream quality. Except the Campaigner section, thats some nice high quality stuff. See anything you need there, i suggest nab it before checking out the mainstream ones. 

Meanwhile, check out the Sutler topic. I believe you'll find long list of ACW Sutlers ranging from Mainstream quality to Museum Quality.

Wow...

Thanks, I got faster replies then I expected. I completely forgot about getting camping supplies except for the tin cup. Plus I've found everything else on my list except a cap box. Edit: Also, an USM1858 smooth side canteen.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 03:37:44 am by ClearlyInvsible »
"No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it."- Andrew Carnegie

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 03:44:12 am »
Cap box? you mean Cap pouch where to store all those caps?

You can get those at Dell's Leather

http://www.dellsleatherworks.com/

And as for that Canteen  especially a USM1858 smooth side canteen

http://www.ss-sutler.com/canteens.html

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 03:47:16 am »
Again, thanks alot. That's my list, now to actually order these bad boys.

Offline munky-wunky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 03:59:25 am »
Again, thanks alot. That's my list, now to actually order these bad boys.

no problem always happy to help
Spoiler
Welcome to FSE hun. Enjoy your stay on s.s. Duuring. Lifeboat is to be found on upper left corner as "log out". We wish you enjoy the journey. Thank you for choosing Dutch Sea For your vacation.
[close]

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 04:32:40 am »
I wouldn't recommend getting everything first event. Start with small things like a forage cap and maybe a coat
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 05:35:11 am »
I wouldn't recommend getting everything first event. Start with small things like a forage cap and maybe a coat

He is right, altough looks like you already gathered your gears. I hope they are good quality. At least the one I shared is good high quality. 

I made this mistake at first by buying cheap wool uniform and big ass forage cap, now I'm painfully replacing my uniform one by one. Just got a bargain of a used Sack coat from Sekela that normally sells for 240.   

Which remind me, every reenactor strive in historical authentically should sign up this forum

http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/

Has excellent archive of research and stuff. Like my  favorite one so far was about death. I should have shared this on the "Tip of Death" topic but i can't be arsed to find it. But it was collection of first person report of their experience of being hit. Most of guys got hit in the arms and didnt notice it until realizing their arm wasnt replying. Other time hitting in the leg and stuff. Some report of being hit by canister felt like being stung by buzzards/hornets.  What interest me that most of report said they felt numb in the arms for a while then came the pain. And the highlight of this article was a union soljun at Marye's Height, Fburg. He was pinned down by rebs and he was so desperate for cover. He grabbed a blanket rolls and placed it front of him. When it was over, he was carried to field hospital because he was hit somewhere. And He asked the doctor to open the blanket. And it poured over 20+ Minie rounds.  :o 

Anyway enough of my rambling. I shall let you read through these amazing research paper. But thats 50% of the fun. The other 50% is the "Wanting to Sell" section of the forum. Where reenactors sells used or sometime brand new high quality gears/uniform for less price of the original. Register and check that section out. You will save a lot of money and get a veteran look automatically.  ::)

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 05:54:56 am »
link the article please
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 06:00:29 am »
link the article please

Hmmm okay, Ill hunt it down for you. Gimme few minute. 

YES! SCORE! Before i decided to scan the forum, I checked my bookmark folder first. Luckily found it there.

http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/articles/obeirne/Examiner_V6N4-5_2005-08_&_10_-_Taking_Hits.pdf
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 06:02:34 am by DeoVindice61 »

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 07:54:40 am »

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 12:54:10 am »

Well, I got the Cap, Coat, Gun and untensiles. The rest I'm going to buy later.

Anyone got any tips for Gettysburg? That'll probably be my first event if nothing pops up.

Offline munky-wunky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 12:59:14 am »

Well, I got the Cap, Coat, Gun and untensiles. The rest I'm going to buy later.

Anyone got any tips for Gettysburg? That'll probably be my first event if nothing pops up.

i got one find you unit before dark or its going to be a long night of looking
Spoiler
[close]