Author Topic: Female re-enactors  (Read 6165 times)

Offline Jocam

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: Female re-enactors
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 10:51:21 pm »
If it was up to me, I would be these sexist pricks with a stick.
If someone has put in just as much, even more in some cases, to a particular hobby, then they should be allowed no matter what, and also, there were many women fighting in the civil war, just as there were 15 year olds fighting in WWI, they lied.

no sticks, just a 24 hour gaurd shift would do just fine, and a correctional latrine duty, and after that, summon the drummer for 20 lashes

Offline Emperor Napoleon

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1erMar/IrishNap
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2013, 10:52:14 pm »
There could be multiple reasons for them not wanting women in re-enacting. Though I am not a re-enactor, I have been to many events. Some have had whole groups of women, in the fighting, and the men take their posts in the camp making the food. Either these men are so addicted to re-enacting that they devote their lives to it, and never see any women, and they become scared of them, or they just dont like them at all.

What's wrong with being female?
 :-*

Offline Reverse

• Second Lieutenant
  • Rule Britannia!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Reverse
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2013, 11:00:53 pm »
If it was up to me, I would be these sexist pricks with a stick.
If someone has put in just as much, even more in some cases, to a particular hobby, then they should be allowed no matter what, and also, there were many women fighting in the civil war, just as there were 15 year olds fighting in WWI, they lied.

no sticks, just a 24 hour gaurd shift would do just fine, and a correctional latrine duty, and after that, summon the drummer for 20 lashes
Much better!

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2013, 11:32:30 pm »
Well that "guy" you just spoke on fb is clearly a prick. However not every reenactor or events are based on that mindset.

Blue Gray Alliance are openly about females as a combative soldier, however they require that the females must attempt their best to make themselves appear as a man as possible because during the war, there were quite a few account of females converting their looks to a man to serve and successfully.

For example,

Also there are videos of great events with historical standards set high but females are still noticeable on the battlefield.

like this   [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8BQe0vBJdc[/youtube]

at 1:42 hell even before you play it, thats a female on the right..... and she did took part of battle as a nurse or whatever. 

Also in my unit, we have a female in our rank who did fight a few battle with us.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2013, 12:40:41 am »
Of course they should make an effort, just like their male counterparts. But even if they are still noticable, that's no excuse to exclude them.

It wasn't one 'guy', but a whole group of them. Most just said it wasn't historical, one litely typed 'they should shut up about their 'right to re-enact'.' One guy also found it necissary to say I was a troll whi didn't give a shit about history and accurateness. After which I made a post with some of the historical discoveries I made during long hours of researched. Ha-ha!

Yeah, that kinda pissed me off.

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2013, 08:57:15 am »
I myself have got to say that a year ago i would have said a general no to woman reenacting soldiers etc my mind has since change due to certain reasons  8) .... they have just as much right i think as men do, as long as they enjoy themselves and put an effort into their appearance people should be fine with it, but ultimately it is up to the group to decide.

Offline munky-wunky

• Captain
  • Oh, I'm a good old rebel, Now thats just what I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2013, 05:44:29 pm »
we got a female ( i mean guy) in my company.

Spoiler
Welcome to FSE hun. Enjoy your stay on s.s. Duuring. Lifeboat is to be found on upper left corner as "log out". We wish you enjoy the journey. Thank you for choosing Dutch Sea For your vacation.
[close]

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2013, 11:50:23 pm »
I wouldn't recruit any females to reenact as a soldier. On that note, I see plenty of women in the camps.

Same goes for WWI and WWII. There's plenty of women who reenact red cross or even staff, etc. Exception being WWII Soviet, where there's quite a bit of women soldiers as there were historically, mostly as snipers, medics, anti-aircraft gunners, etc.
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2013, 01:47:27 am »
I think the 20th century is a whole different story from 19th because there are so many roles for them to fulfil.

Anyway, so you are AGAINST female militiary re-enactors. That's perfectly fine, everybody is entitled to their own opinion. But could you share your reasons for this?

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2013, 01:58:34 am »
I can't see any legitimate reason to exclude females from participating in an activity that is above all else about having fun. There are plenty of females that are as interested in history as any men are. Imagine how it must feel for them to be told that they aren't allowed to do something they really want to do and are capable of doing for no other reason than the shape of their genitals.

I see a fair number of black and hispanic reenactors in ACW units that would have been white historically, but no one seems to mind that. I guess racism is a lot less acceptable in western society than sexism.

I don't mean to say that groups that discriminate against women are necessarily misogynistic, but they are by definition sexist.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2013, 02:14:42 am »
I totally agree, really...to me, it's all about making the effort. Things you can't change shouldn't be criteria.

Offline Bluehawk

• Sergeant Major
  • чекмень - шаровары - шашка
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2013, 03:20:26 am »
I myself have got to say that a year ago i would have said a general no to woman reenacting soldiers etc my mind has since change due to certain reasons  8) .... they have just as much right i think as men do, as long as they enjoy themselves and put an effort into their appearance people should be fine with it, but ultimately it is up to the group to decide.

So your tolerance rests wholly on your sex drive?

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2013, 03:21:57 am »

Huh? He was saying it depends on how much effort they put into making themselves look like real soldiers and acting their parts. Not to do with sex drive.

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2013, 05:39:31 am »
But could you share your reasons for this?

Sure.

Historically incorrect, such as going to a living history and having a women dressed in uniform would give the wrong impression to the public viewing upon the time period.

When dressing as a man, I haven't seen one who hasn't looked bad or even close. Such as long hair put in a bun sticking out the back of their cap, etc. It ruins the immersion. Same goes for fat and old guys or people wearing sunglasses or denim jeans. It's just damn farby.
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2013, 08:09:49 am »

definitely not , as Duuring knows :) u wont meet anyone more Conservative than me :) but as said my opinion has changed, the reason for this, which i didn't fully state, was mainly the fact that most women who do military reenacting as a soldier generally attempt to do their best , hair etc, but ONLY if they put the affort in, but as said many Napoleonic groups have restrictions on woman roles and in my opinion its their choice, their a private group so they can do what they want