Author Topic: Questions about Reenacting  (Read 14598 times)

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Questions about Reenacting
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 02:03:39 am »
First off, where do you live? Location is a huge factor, because it determines what units are in your area as well as events you will have to drive to or carpool with unit members.

If WWII German, Heer (Army) or SS? In my experience Heer generally gets more respect and is preferred by a lot of unit organizers. SS units will probably be larger, but you'll encounter quite a bit of farbs or farbisms from the men.

I know much more about WWII German than ACW, so I know plenty of great suppliers and excellent deals on correct gear.

http://www.hessenantique.com/
http://www.ima-usa.com/
http://www.atthefrontshop.com/default.asp
http://www.1944militaria.com/
http://www.ostfront.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc
http://www.lostbattalions.com/

Thing is, you want to go to certain sites for certain things. I'm more than willing to help you get into the hobby, so feel free to send me a message anytime.
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline Rejestone

• Second Lieutenant
  • Für das Vaterland
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Skullzdeath
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 03:18:21 am »
Australia, Canberra. and German Army

Offline König

• Major
  • A major König
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Koenig
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2013, 03:30:59 am »
Aaaahh, well in that case, zac might be able to help you. He should see this, and come.
I don't trust anything but pizza from a pizza place.

Offline Rejestone

• Second Lieutenant
  • Für das Vaterland
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Skullzdeath
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 03:32:21 am »
Aaaahh, well in that case, zac might be able to help you. He should see this, and come.
I have him on steam, i'll ask him later.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2013, 08:18:09 am »

If WWII German, Heer (Army) or SS? . SS units will probably be larger, but you'll encounter quite a bit of farbs or farbisms from the men.

May I ask why these groups are bigger yet farbier?

Offline König

• Major
  • A major König
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2013, 02:38:02 pm »
It's the "elite" thing. Since they were "elite" they tend to attract more farbs. Most "elite" units (Especially if they had "cool" uniforms. Lots of camo, into case of the SS) tend to attract more farbs.

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
  • Side: Union
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2013, 04:40:50 pm »
What's a "Farb?" Is that reenacting slang?

Offline König

• Major
  • A major König
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2013, 04:57:35 pm »
Haha.  ;D
Yes, it is. It basically means a person who is inauthentic (and knows it) and doesn't try and improve upon that. As compared to someone who may not know their stuff is wrong, or someone who is working on fixing the problem.
Wikipedia

Offline Dordak_the_Lost

• Donator
  • Faugh a Ballagh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2013, 05:31:59 pm »

A good definition I found
Spoiler
farb

believed to be derived from "far be it from the truth" or an anachronism of "Fast And Researchless Buying".

a derogatory term used in the hobby of historical reenacting in reference to participants who exhibit indifference to historical authenticity, either from a material-cultural standpoint or in action. It can also refer to the inauthentic materials used by those reenactors.

Also called "polyester soldiers," farbs are reenactors who spend relatively little of their time or money maintaining authenticity with regard to uniforms, accessories, or even period behavior. The 'Good Enough' attitude is pervasive among farbs, although even casual observers may be able to point out flaws.

Fred:"Did you see those reenactors eating McDonalds?"

Bob: "Yeah, I know, what farbs!"

"Look at that polyester dress that woman is wearing! What a farb."
[close]

Examples and pictures
Spoiler

waaaaaaaaay too many flags

Cavalry guy in the Irish Brigade and the guy with the super long hair...

[close]

That ebay commercial makes me laugh everytime.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 05:35:34 pm by Dordak_the_Lost »

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2013, 05:42:00 pm »
Spoiler
[close]

I do not agree. This regiment can't help it a cavalryman without a horse just happened to walk by their regiment, and neither is the length of hair a good definition of 'farbness'. Were there any regulations about it? More importantly, did the men follow those rules?

Offline Odysseus

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2013, 05:45:21 pm »
Due to my lack of failure as a musician, are there any other jobs I can take in reenacting at my age? I'm interested in American Revolution British reenactment.

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2013, 06:06:40 pm »
Both of those videos were hilarious. I liked the eBay one more. I thought it was hilarious, how this guy came riding through on a segway while people are admiring the British guy's uniform.

Offline Dordak_the_Lost

• Donator
  • Faugh a Ballagh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2013, 06:42:06 pm »
Spoiler
[close]

I do not agree. This regiment can't help it a cavalryman without a horse just happened to walk by their regiment, and neither is the length of hair a good definition of 'farbness'. Were there any regulations about it? More importantly, did the men follow those rules?

You don't agree? Is that sarcasm? He didn't just walk by. He appears to be with them for some time. You really don't find this farby? Even if he did just walk by, why was there a single dismounted cavalryman attacking the sunken road at Antietam anyway?
Spoiler

[close]

I would also say that the majority of Civil War soldiers cut their hair short to reduce lice and improve hygiene.

I will also add this photo:

Notice that you can see sprigs of boxwood on their hats. This was only done at Fredericksburg. There are also kepis on some of the men which is incorrect.

Farb vs Progressive comparison
Spoiler
This is a farby confederate unit

This is a progressive/hardcore confederate unit

Farby union unit

Progresive/hardcore unit
[close]
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 07:28:02 pm by Dordak_the_Lost »

Offline König

• Major
  • A major König
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2013, 07:20:55 pm »
Duuring, about the hair:
While I'm not sure about regulations, judging by period photographs and drawings, very long (like below shoulder-length) hair was very rare. It would also have been much harder to keep looking "presentable" and, as mentioned before, having shorter hair helped keep the critters out. So while long hair isn't the ultimate sign of a farb, it does look much less historical.

And to Odysseus:
First off, you're in Canada right? And are you part of a unit, or are there any in your area that you have considered joining?

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2013, 08:01:16 pm »
Spoiler
[close]

You don't agree? Is that sarcasm? He didn't just walk by. He appears to be with them for some time. You really don't find this farby? Even if he did just walk by, why was there a single dismounted cavalryman attacking the sunken road at Antietam anyway?
Spoiler

[close]

I would also say that the majority of Civil War soldiers cut their hair short to reduce lice and improve hygiene.

I will also add this photo:
Spoiler
[close]

Notice that you can see sprigs of boxwood on their hats. This was only done at Fredericksburg. There are also kepis on some of the men which is incorrect.

Surely you don't expect them to buy a different hat for every event?

About the hair - Exactly, a majority. That doesn't mean it's inaccurate, does it?

On the cavarlyman: my apologies, I only saw this one picture. Then, it's defend able, as ACW cavalry fought a lot on foot. Not saying it's accurate portrayal - yet it did happen.
One man, by the way, is nothing. There are a few regiments here in Napoleonic Europa who portray cavalry regiments, but without the horses. Imagine six Prussian hussar in full parade uniform, skirmishing with French voltigeurs. Yes, it looks ridiculous.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 08:05:34 pm by Duuring »