Author Topic: An Officer And Gentleman: A Client-side Bicorn Officers Hat Replacement Mod!  (Read 8622 times)

Offline SeanBeansShako

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
DAMN YOUR REGULATIONS SIR, I AM AN OFFICER AND A GENTLEMAN AND I WILL KEEP MY HAT!

This mod does (mostly) what it says, replacing the slightly tarted up regulation Shako head gear of most line and light to medium cav for all the nations in Napoleonic Wars.

Skirmishers, Grenadiers and most Guard Infantry are untouched and retain their shakos or unique head gear. British and French Ensigns are the only other units wearing these new classier hats. All other soldiers retain their original DLC head wear still.

Why have I done this? well, playing cav can be quite hectic or when your line goes into melee trying to keep track of the officer suddenly becomes quite a chore especially when the hat he wears looks more or less the same from the back. Also, I simply think Bicornered hats despite being associated with men of higher status than Captains and men of the Navy look good.

It also makes playing and leading cav much leader for newer regiments or new players in general who can't tell the difference between officer and other men on the field.

Now I'm not going to lie, it is pretty obvious this mod isn't Historically accurate or correct as I was limited to a reskinned Austrian bicorn and the already supplied hear gear from the DLC and I think for a first timer I did a decent job. Apologies for those who are annoyed with Austrian cockades playing Prussia or Russia but it better than the French one right?

Also, this mod comes in two flavours. One that simply does the line infantry and one that does line infantry and most nations light and medium cav. Most of the heavy cav of all nations remain untouched sadly as the helmets they use apparently are more complicated.

Installation is pretty easy, simply drop all or just one of the desire faction into your NW resources folder and it works! Just remember to back said folder up to a safe place if you want the shakos back.

Also, this mod is open source. Meaning if you think you can improve it with maybe some custom models go ahead and give it a try, I will not object. Hell I'll even host as I would love the Prussians and Russians having a bicorn skinned properly. If somebody could find a way too how to mod hats onto the Heavy cav and provide me with a reskin of the common Polish Lancer hat with a cover over it I can expand this mod greatly.

I will also consider looking into a version that gives your officer either a Bicorn or regulation shako if possible as well as push out a Cavalry only version. For now enjoy!

Regiments With The Changes

Line Infantry Officers:

British:

Kings German Legion.
Coldstream Foot Guard.

French:

84e.
45e by default.
Vistula Legion.

Austrian:

German Line Infantry.
Hungarian Line Infantry.

Prussian:

23rd.
8th.

Russian:

Life Guard Grenadiers.

Cavalry Officers:

Prussian Landwehr Lancers.
Prussian Dragoons.
Prussian Hussars.
Austrian Dragoons.
Austrian Light Cav.
Russian Hussars.
Austrian Hussars.
Austrian Heavy Cavalry.
British Light Dragoons.
British Life Guard.

Screenshots:

Line Officers bicorn modeled by draGoon Sheikh Yabouti:

UK

France

Prussia

Russia

Austria

Cavalry Officer Bicorns and new hats modeled by draGoon Nurdbot:

UK:

Prussia:

Russia:

Austria:

(Austrian Cav all share the same hat model so ALL of Austrian Cav Officers now wear the bicorn).

Downloads:

Mount And Blade Nexus

Infantry Only: http://www.mediafire.com/?92rad61y0j31237

Cavalry and Infantry: http://www.mediafire.com/?pd1fil1z50ctzcd

Remember to back up your resources before downloading this in case you want to go back to the old Shakos! if installed over other client side reskins I (think) it will just overwrite the hat of the skin of the officer but leave everything else. Make back ups of your Napoleonic Wars resources file before trying to be safe.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 06:25:13 pm by SeanBeansShako »

Offline Wismar

• Donator
  • Med Gud o' Sveas allmoge för Konung och Fosterland
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Radical
  • Side: Confederacy
Nice hats you got there :)

Offline SeanBeansShako

• Major
    • View Profile
Oh, I didn't make any of them. FSE did all the hard work though AtillaTheNun did reskin the one used for the British so big props can go to him for that and his guide.

Offline Spearing

• Donator
  • Has Brass Balls
    • View Profile
I'm going to use that phrase "DAMN YOUR REGULATIONS SIR, I AM AN OFFICER AND A GENTLEMAN AND I WILL KEEP MY HAT!" as many times in my life as possible.

Offline SeanBeansShako

• Major
    • View Profile
It is a good phrase.

I'm still waiting on how to be shown how to redo it so Heavy Cav officers will exchange their helmets for different hats, when I finally learn it I will do one more update and include a cav only version and finish things unless somebody has some Bicorn reskins for Russia and Prussia.

Offline Willhelm

• Donator
    • View Profile
    • Blood&Iron
  • Nick: 32nd_Gdm_William
It is a good phrase.

I'm still waiting on how to be shown how to redo it so Heavy Cav officers will exchange their helmets for different hats, when I finally learn it I will do one more update and include a cav only version and finish things unless somebody has some Bicorn reskins for Russia and Prussia.

Import the Bicornes into mmbrithats and replace the officer hats with them.

Offline SeanBeansShako

• Major
    • View Profile
It is a good phrase.

Import the Bicornes into mmbrithats and replace the officer hats with them.
That is pretty much what I have done already for this mod with most of the officers. This seems to work with most classes but Heavy Cavalry Officers.

If I attempt to do this with say, a French Dragoon Officer they spawn bald and have a heavy graphics glitch in the selection menu.

Offline EdwardC

• Donator
  • Cyberbullying + Memes = FSE Forums
    • View Profile
    • 9th East Norfolk
Oh great! it works but, the others officers of this same class get the same hat as i, but in the real sever, am the only one wherein that hat  ???

Offline SeanBeansShako

• Major
    • View Profile
Oh great! it works but, the others officers of this same class get the same hat as i, but in the real sever, am the only one wherein that hat  ???

Skirmishers and Elites like Grenadiers keep their unique Officer hats as they are at least look different in some way. Plus I can never find it in my heart to take the Old Guard Grenadier Officers bearskin. Some regiment Officers like those of the 33rd and one of the Russian line share the same hat as the common Rankers and if I switched they'd all have Bicorns.

Offline BSM 'Shut up' Williams

• First Lieutenant
  • Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna!
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
  • Nick: Jean Grande
Is there a way to Only switch the Officers hat with soemthing else and keep the ensigns one as normal?

Steam Profile Signature
[close]

Offline SeanBeansShako

• Major
    • View Profile
Is there a way to Only switch the Officers hat with soemthing else and keep the ensigns one as normal?

With some regiments the Ensign shares the same hat as the officer, some regiments they don't.

Offline EdwardC

• Donator
    • View Profile
    • 9th East Norfolk
I mean like for Coldsteam guards the Officer as in me has these hats, but other plays have that same hat and they don't even own this mod,  Is there a way to make me the only one that has this? Cause they can see it on me just everyone else has like i but they can only see mind, any help?

Offline SeanBeansShako

• Major
    • View Profile
I mean like for Coldsteam guards the Officer as in me has these hats, but other plays have that same hat and they don't even own this mod,  Is there a way to make me the only one that has this? Cause they can see it on me just everyone else has like i but they can only see mind, any help?

It is a client side mod. Meaning you'll only see it on your end. Everyone else unless they have it will see the usual stuff.

If you want other people to see it they have to download and install it too.

Offline EdwardC

• Donator
    • View Profile
    • 9th East Norfolk
Aw, alright, trough i would look cool, or something.  :P

Offline Dekkers

• Colonel
  • Left hand's fast but the right hand's sturdy
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
I downloaded it, it's sexy ;D
Dekkers has become the community's designated old man with alzheimers who sits in the corner reminiscing about simpler times, happier times... "The spins" he wails "do you remember the SPINS!!!"