Author Topic: Server Difficulty?  (Read 1335 times)

Offline zank

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
Server Difficulty?
« on: October 26, 2020, 06:18:17 am »
Took a break from the game and came back to see some of the servers I used to enjoy are not with us anymore. However I thought about hosting my own, however my question is, how difficult would it be to run the server?

My main objective would be to try and have a siege server where bots are attacking and a few commanders command the bots while people defend. Used to be a great server that did that, but dosnt seam to be around anymore.

I have no problem paying to host the server, just wondering if there is alot of work involved in such a server ?

Offline Ted

• Colonel
  • Aufknöpfen!
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Server Difficulty?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 09:43:16 am »
Took a break from the game and came back to see some of the servers I used to enjoy are not with us anymore. However I thought about hosting my own, however my question is, how difficult would it be to run the server?

My main objective would be to try and have a siege server where bots are attacking and a few commanders command the bots while people defend. Used to be a great server that did that, but dosnt seam to be around anymore.

I have no problem paying to host the server, just wondering if there is alot of work involved in such a server ?

You will need a somewhat experienced staff for administration. Equally important, a community that actually wants to play on the server, aka you will need to advertise. Besides that, you will have to find yourself maps which are optimised for bot-siege or do that yourself.

That "great" server died for a reason btw
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 09:45:11 am by Ted »
Dat kid who put up a global banlist back in Betty's times.
Former Regiments: 7te Kurmarkische Landwehr, 6te Ulanen, kk Kürassierregiment Nr.4, kk Bombardier-Regiment Nr.3, kk AR Nr.2, GGR Nr.4, Artillerie im Kö.Preuß.IR Nr.33.
>>Scenes<<

Offline ~NickCole~

• Brigadier General
  • Your nans
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 093
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 05:00:24 pm »

You will need a somewhat experienced staff for administration. Equally important, a community that actually wants to play on the server, aka you will need to advertise. Besides that, you will have to find yourself maps which are optimised for bot-siege or do that yourself.

That "great" server died for a reason btw
I agree with Ted and I want to add on top of that, it will take a lot of time to get everything set up like he said for making the maps, scripts, getting a good admin team & advertising. You have no idea if it will work because people play different game modes now. If you want to try it then sure but you will be spending quite a bit of money and time for a server that might die in a week or one that survives for years. Part of the reason the old server died because they kept perm banning everyone known to man and didn't give people second chances.

Offline developmentaddict

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 09:17:14 am »
Maybe you can visit this site: https://www.heimkinoheld.de/gamer-pc-anleitung/

It is an german article but you can easy translate it in every browser, so you do not have to use translate programs.

An own server is very difficult and out of my experience, but i think this article somehow makes it look easier. If you have the time, why not take a look?

They introduce you to building your own gaming pc.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 05:21:59 pm by developmentaddict »