Author Topic: Developer Blog 28 - Napoleonic Wars Patch 1.2  (Read 50497 times)

Offline MaxLam

• Colonel
  • Founder of Minisiege, EU_Commander & Mininaval
    • View Profile
    • Napoleonic Wars Public
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Developer Blog 28 - Napoleonic Wars Patch 1.2
« Reply #180 on: January 22, 2018, 03:22:05 pm »
That can't be fixed and there is no need to. Just use a set of 4 teleport doors instead of two, minimize the second set so that it's invisible, i.e. inside objects or under the ground, and players will spawn exactly where you need them to spawn.

Offline Dokletian

• Brigadier General
  • unironisch
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 4e_Huss_Dokletian
« Reply #181 on: January 22, 2018, 05:34:45 pm »
When it comes to cavalry, it really seems like you need as twice as many hits to kill a hussar and especially a heavy. It‘s almost impossible to kill a heavy horse when you‘re dismounted.
Can I just say that I’m really impressed with the cav community, 10x more mature than the inf community and a lot less tolerant of the cancerous players

Offline Bob_The_Drunken_Villager

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Bob
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #182 on: January 22, 2018, 09:11:53 pm »
When it comes to cavalry, it really seems like you need as twice as many hits to kill a hussar and especially a heavy. It‘s almost impossible to kill a heavy horse when you‘re dismounted.
"When we found the Abyss, we fought.
Through our blood, we did not find what we sought.
New challenger, end us, so we may rot.
For our journey into the Abyss, was all for nought."

Offline Mohawky

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 22, 2018, 11:32:02 pm »
That can't be fixed and there is no need to. Just use a set of 4 teleport doors instead of two, minimize the second set so that it's invisible, i.e. inside objects or under the ground, and players will spawn exactly where you need them to spawn.

Cant be fixed?  The Vertical door prop is badly coded - it spawns the player who teleported on the exact axis spot of the door - where it would "swing" if it was a real door that opened - this means the player has a good chance of spawning inside the building its attached to. The horizontal door prop works fine.  And why would you expect the user to go to the trouble of using 4 props and all that added effort just to use a prop that's broken in the first place?

Even when an invisible one is placed underground, it still shows the "Open Door" and allows players to use it. Some props do conceal it, but not that many.

Ive corrected my maps now, and have them all working but its a inept system that could have been so much simpler.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 09:11:18 am by Mohawky »

Offline Mohawky

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 23, 2018, 09:22:55 am »
Sand bags - while I love the look of the new model - the removal of the ones that used to stick out at the bottom is just great, maps using them look so much better, but in play they are just awful.

I must have watched 50 or 60 sappers now trying to use them, some very experienced and skilled, some noobs. ALL of them have problems with them. They just cant be built in straight lines, or in layers. And the proximity of any other prop tends to make them spawn at odd slanted angles into the air. Sandbag walls end up a complete mess.

Plus, they are too tall, and too extended at the bottom ends compared to the tops. Its completely hit and miss whether a player can jump sandbags now and that breaks a fundamental game priniciple of a prop always behaving the same way as a player expects it to.

This isn't just a matter of players getting experienced with using the new prop - its a matter of the prop itself being badly designed and poorly executed.  Love the look, hate the gameplay problems it causes.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 10:50:24 am by Mohawky »

Offline Mohawky

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 23, 2018, 02:11:11 pm »
I know you probably don't want to add any more props, but the ground rectangles you added with different textures on them are proving to be really useful. Could I beg you to please add the following too?

stone wall 9
ground_village
fort_stones
fort_ground
fort_debris
logs
RooftilesSlate0045_3_S
RooftilesCeramicOld0087_2_S
RooftilesCeramicOld0019_2_S
stucco_6

Offline Thunderstormer

• FSE Developer
  • Worse than Hotler
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 23, 2018, 02:12:30 pm »
I know you probably don't want to add any more props, but the ground rectangles you added with different textures on them are proving to be really useful. Could I beg you to please add the following too?

stone wall 9
ground_village
fort_stones
fort_ground
fort_debris
logs
RooftilesSlate0045_3_S
RooftilesCeramicOld0087_2_S
RooftilesCeramicOld0019_2_S
stucco_6
i'll stick on the list of things to ask vince about when he is back.
Should you need to talk to me regarding NA1 or or something regarding admining or the admins, PM me here on the forums and not on steam.  *

*This does not include Official Server Admins.

AeroNinja

« Reply #187 on: January 23, 2018, 03:05:20 pm »
I don't know what happened to the melee. But it is really fucked up now. Melee is the only fun part of this game and now this is also destroyed. G fuckin G.

Offline Thunderstormer

• FSE Developer
  • Worse than Hotler
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 23, 2018, 03:06:36 pm »
for those interested in the TP doors.

how does this look for the vertical door.(this is the only one i changed)

if you like it, i can upload the text file and the code here.   basically just using similar code to how TP works for players, where it doesn't put you on/inside them, but a few feet away. 

anyways, it is time for bed, so i will read the responses when i wake up.
Should you need to talk to me regarding NA1 or or something regarding admining or the admins, PM me here on the forums and not on steam.  *

*This does not include Official Server Admins.

Offline MaxLam

• Colonel
  • Founder of Minisiege, EU_Commander & Mininaval
    • View Profile
    • Napoleonic Wars Public
« Reply #189 on: January 23, 2018, 03:24:51 pm »
Plus, they are too tall, and too extended at the bottom ends compared to the tops. Its completely hit and miss whether a player can jump sandbags now and that breaks a fundamental game priniciple of a prop always behaving the same way as a player expects it to.
The sides were not changed at all. The only thing that was changed is the small gap at the top, and the collision meshes now correspond to what the mesh looks like, which wasn't the case before. So that's exactly the contrary, now the collision mesh corresponds to what you actually see. It's just that you spent so much time playing with the old ones that those glitches seemed "natural" to you.

The sandbags are not taller per se, it's just that they don't glitch in the ground anymore. I understand that the small gap at the top makes it harder to build straight lines of sandbags, although that's not impossible. If that's the main problem it could be removed I guess.

However removing the other modifications would be a big mistake. Indeed, as I said already, I could build a big ramp with only 2 planks and one built sandbag because of the rectangular geometry. And we do not want that.

Offline Mohawky

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 23, 2018, 04:01:37 pm »
for those interested in the TP doors.

how does this look for the vertical door.(this is the only one i changed)

if you like it, i can upload the text file and the code here.   basically just using similar code to how TP works for players, where it doesn't put you on/inside them, but a few feet away. 

anyways, it is time for bed, so i will read the responses when i wake up.

That looks great to me - Cheers !

Offline Mohawky

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 23, 2018, 07:47:43 pm »
The sides were not changed at all. The only thing that was changed is the small gap at the top, and the collision meshes now correspond to what the mesh looks like, which wasn't the case before. So that's exactly the contrary, now the collision mesh corresponds to what you actually see. It's just that you spent so much time playing with the old ones that those glitches seemed "natural" to you.

The sandbags are not taller per se, it's just that they don't glitch in the ground anymore. I understand that the small gap at the top makes it harder to build straight lines of sandbags, although that's not impossible. If that's the main problem it could be removed I guess.

However removing the other modifications would be a big mistake. Indeed, as I said already, I could build a big ramp with only 2 planks and one built sandbag because of the rectangular geometry. And we do not want that.

Weve had earthworks and planks disabled for a long time. With this update we left them on to see if they would still cause problems. Earthworks did very well, no glitching, no problems until we got to a map with a tunnel, and then they were used to glitch the exit from it. Planks are much improved and make very little difference to games other than sappers using them to plan out defences, like a ground blueprint. We will probably disable earthworks and leave planks on.
The kind of tower and ramp building you describe we don't have, simply because we don't allow it.

Cheveaux and spikes I don't see a problem with.

Whatever the cause sandbags are just not right and could do with some adjustment I think. Something like this would be much more user friendly. It would be easy to place and layer and its ends would butt up against each other easily to form walls:

But if you do change could the new version not exceed the dimensions of the current new prop - I don't want to have to adjust 5,000 sand bags again  :  )  Height wise - they should be at the right height for players to jump easily without getting stuck on top of them when in 1 layer.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 08:03:22 am by Mohawky »

Wursti

« Reply #192 on: January 23, 2018, 08:01:31 pm »
I don't know what happened to the melee. But it is really fucked up now. Melee is the only fun part of this game and now this is also destroyed. G fuckin G.

its fine if there wouldnt be like 10x more pokes than before and it seems like ppl got 2x their HP i alrdy tanked 6-7 hits once (only 1 or 2 of them soft hits)

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #193 on: January 23, 2018, 09:05:45 pm »
In all honesty sapper does need to be revised. In the heat of battle the new sandbags are an absolute nightmare to get built in time due to their awkward placing, made worse further still by the fact that the enemy can easily shoot over one sandbag and a second layer is required to provide sufficient cover - something which is now borderline impossible and looks wonky/unrealistic once actually pulled off.

Offline ScreechingSeagull

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 23, 2018, 09:29:17 pm »
In terms of making some sapper props more viable:

Small cheveux are great now: reducing their cost to 2 BP, and maintaining 4 hits to build means they're very effective in very limited situations (doorways, etc). Two thumbs up from me.

Gabions I would like to see also become more competitive. They're somewhat useful around cannons, but I find (sandbags, small chev, etc) more useful. The current cost of 3 BP is good, it should be more expensive than small chev since it also has bullet protection. Could the hits to build be lowered from 8 -> 4-5? It would be more consistent (small props are cheaper, faster, but smaller surface area).

Before, there were almost always something else more cost-effective to build than ^. Making them more competitive gives us more viable options.

The planks I think have suffered a bit too much. If there's something close to a plank that I want to fix/destroy, I usually end up breaking the plank.

I know there's the everpresent problem of spamming/trolling, but on the other end, there's also griefers (albeit a much smaller problem). Planks have always been finicky to place and they have a mind of their own. They're fixed now so they can't be glitched.

Seeing them as weak as a window, and getting shredded at the slightest touch is incredibly frustrating. Planks were very useful covering up mistakes, linking fence segments. I would like their strength increased to around 1-1/2 full sapper axe hits.
Max characters: 1000; characters remaining: 889
Images in your signature must be no greater than 600x200 pixels