Author Topic: 1914 The Great War [Poll available!]  (Read 31879 times)

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: The Great War 1914
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2013, 11:03:29 pm »
The state was officially called La Troisième République. If you insist on sticking 'French' in there it should be La Troisième République Française.

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
  • Side: Union
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2013, 11:07:09 pm »
La Troisième République Française

This is what you should call the French faction. I think this is what Iron Europe is calling it, for historical purposes.

Offline Reverse

• Second Lieutenant
  • Rule Britannia!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Reverse
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2013, 11:08:08 pm »
I don't understand why anyone would play your mod over iron europe? Slightly cleaner uniforms and less trenchy maps. Well maps can be added by any old codger. How can your gameplay be different to IE?
Gameplay will be different because its not sitting in a trench waiting for someone to charge. This will basically be the Napoleonic Wars but with loose formations and bolt-action rifles. To be honest, the gameplay will not be similar at all. Unless someone decides to make a glitchy map. Trenches don't really work in the Warband engine, they can't be underground without your screen covered in a transparent blue.
Yes I understand that, but apart from the maps what can possibly be different? Yes a map is a big difference in gameplay but I just don't understand what else will be different?
Its the same war, so technology will be the same. We will have cavalry. We will have fixed machine guns. (hopefully.) We will not have trenches. Not having trenches is a big enough gameplay difference. I have no idea how to explain it better to you.

Offline Reverse

• Second Lieutenant
  • Rule Britannia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2013, 11:11:07 pm »
The state was officially called La Troisième République. If you insist on sticking 'French' in there it should be La Troisième République Française.
La Troisième République Française

This is what you should call the French faction. I think this is what Iron Europe is calling it, for historical purposes.
Thanks! I'll fix that now.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 11:18:36 pm by Reverse »

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2013, 11:13:35 pm »
Fixed MG and Cavalry brings back the scene through my head in War Horse where Brits cav charged the German camp, ended up mauled unfortunately.

Spoiler
[youtube] [/youtube]
[close]

Anyway, I wish your mod good luck. You will definately have my support.  ;)

Offline Reverse

• Second Lieutenant
  • Rule Britannia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2013, 11:14:33 pm »
Fixed MG and Cavalry brings back the scene through my head in War Horse where Brits cav charged the German camp, ended up mauled unfortunately.

Spoiler
[youtube] [/youtube]
[close]

Anyway, I wish your mod good luck. You will definately have my support.  ;)
Yes, that tended to happen in WWI.
And Thanks!

Offline von_Bismarck

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2013, 11:16:03 pm »
I don't understand why anyone would play your mod over iron europe? Slightly cleaner uniforms and less trenchy maps. Well maps can be added by any old codger. How can your gameplay be different to IE?
Gameplay will be different because its not sitting in a trench waiting for someone to charge. This will basically be the Napoleonic Wars but with loose formations and bolt-action rifles. To be honest, the gameplay will not be similar at all. Unless someone decides to make a glitchy map. Trenches don't really work in the Warband engine, they can't be underground without your screen covered in a transparent blue.
Yes I understand that, but apart from the maps what can possibly be different? Yes a map is a big difference in gameplay but I just don't understand what else will be different?
Its the same war, so technology will be the same. We will have cavalry. We will have fixed machine guns. (hopefully.) We will not have trenches. Not having trenches is a big enough gameplay difference. I have no idea how to explain it better to you.

That.

Mobile warfare is enough difference from Iron europe, and more exciting than sitting in a trench.

Offline James Grant

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2013, 11:23:42 pm »

Are you trolling me? Because you seem to be showing a certain degree of ignorance and stupidity.

All that your proposing that will be different is the maps, when you make a map in the Iron Europe module, it won't instantly spawn trenches in every single bloody map. IE may have cavalry, certainly should in some degree.
I don't understand how you are not getting what I'm saying.

You propose 1914 warfare yet the technology was the same, the landscapes weren't. So make custom maps for IE.

Offline Reverse

• Second Lieutenant
  • Rule Britannia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2013, 11:43:12 pm »

Are you trolling me? Because you seem to be showing a certain degree of ignorance and stupidity.

All that your proposing that will be different is the maps, when you make a map in the Iron Europe module, it won't instantly spawn trenches in every single bloody map. IE may have cavalry, certainly should in some degree.
I don't understand how you are not getting what I'm saying.

You propose 1914 warfare yet the technology was the same, the landscapes weren't. So make custom maps for IE.

You are ignoring almost everything I have said so far.
Trench warfare composes of: Charge, die, rinse and repeat.
Mobile warfare consists of: Tactics, actually surviving a charge, cavalry, and loose lines.
IE will not have cavalry, search through the thread and check yourself.
Having mobile warfare is a big enough gameplay difference.
IE will have mobile machine guns, not fixed.
It is downright impossible to simulate 1914 warfare with mobile machine guns and no cavalry. Technology was massively improved in 1916-17 and the military leaders realised their tactics were ineffective
Also, why the hell would I be trolling on my own mod's thread? I've never trolled and I don't intend to.
I have told enough differences already.
tl;dr
Mobile warfare is nothing like trench warfare. My mod will have different uniforms. My mod will have cavalry
The only similarities between IE and my mod are bolt-action rifles, machine guns, and the same war.

Now, if you are continuously going to bash my mod then don't come to the thread. You don't have to criticize it in such a negative manner.

Offline James Grant

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2013, 11:52:15 pm »
Okay I admit I didn't realise IE would have no cavalry at all but I still don't see much point in this. Would it not be a helluva lot easier just to make a submod of Iron Europe a month or two after it's release? Your changes are slight and it is just the maps which are the most important change. In all honesty I just don't see this ever coming to fruition/taking enough of Iron Europes player base to be a success. At the end of the day your going up against a mod which already has dozens of regiments and players waiting in anticipation.

Primarily I just don't want to see you wasting time on something which, it is highly likely, will not grasp the communities attention.

Offline Reverse

• Second Lieutenant
  • Rule Britannia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2013, 11:53:59 pm »
Okay I admit I didn't realise IE would have no cavalry at all but I still don't see much point in this. Would it not be a helluva lot easier just to make a submod of Iron Europe a month or two after it's release? Your changes are slight and it is just the maps which are the most important change. In all honesty I just don't see this ever coming to fruition/taking enough of Iron Europes player base to be a success. At the end of the day your going up against a mod which already has dozens of regiments and players waiting in anticipation.

Primarily I just don't want to see you wasting time on something which, it is highly likely, will not grasp the communities attention.
Frankly, I don't care.
This is primarily practice so I can make a better mod in the future. Everyones gotta start somewhere eh?
Well, Obviously I want people to enjoy it but I don't expect it to rival Iron Europe.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 11:56:17 pm by Reverse »

Offline James Grant

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2013, 11:56:54 pm »
Right...um...good luck with that then...

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2013, 12:06:59 am »

+1. James Grant has made some excellent arguments, and your ignorance to the fact that Iron Europe will take the whole community away from your mod is going to be your downfall. I'm not trying to come off as totally rude, an asshole, etc. I just don't think it's worth it to spend months on a mod maybe you and few others might play.

Offline Reverse

• Second Lieutenant
  • Rule Britannia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2013, 12:15:23 am »

+1. James Grant has made some excellent arguments, and your ignorance to the fact that Iron Europe will take the whole community away from your mod is going to be your downfall. I'm not trying to come off as totally rude, an asshole, etc. I just don't think it's worth it to spend months on a mod maybe you and few others might play.
My so called ignorance is nonexistent. I am completely aware that Iron Europe will take a community, but I expect this to come out before Iron Europe. My mod won't be code heavy and will not take longer to make, the only code heavy thing is the MGs, but I probably won't implement them as it would make cavalry obsolete.
If you come to a mod thread simply to discourage creation of said mod, then whats the point of even coming to the thread?
I will keep creating this full steam ahead and nothing anyone says will change that.

Offline von_Bismarck

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2013, 12:16:22 am »

I will keep creating this full steam ahead and nothing anyone says will change that.

That's the attitude!  ;)