Author Topic: ☵ Man_vs_Bots_Rebirth  (Read 74342 times)

Offline Penis Vanderpoo

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
Re: ☵ Man_vs_Bots_Rebirth **Admin Apps Open!**
« Reply #120 on: July 15, 2016, 02:59:12 am »
I do have to say that while this server is light years better than 15th humans vs bots, that it has amazing and creative scripts/bot types, and it has great admins it has lost something since they made things easier for the defenders. I remember when it first came up and it was hard as hell. We were forming up in little bands, roleplaying, enjoying the challenge. It was so fun getting overrun.

Spoons already answered this complaint and he gave a response that makes perfect sense. Most Humans VS bots players probably aren't looking for a challenge. And i know a few have complained when it did get hard. However, I would counter that the server population has seemed lower as of late, and making it harder would attract alot more veteran players he want a challenge as well as the mindless fun. And i bet besides the few raqequitters, most will appreciate the increased roleplay that is born from the challenge.

I know this is just anecdotal, but maybe the challenge will actually draw players not scare them away. I mean heck when it first got huge it was hard as hell and the numbers were consistent.

Offline Magoovian

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 15, 2016, 05:20:45 am »
I do have to say that while this server is light years better than 15th humans vs bots, that it has amazing and creative scripts/bot types, and it has great admins it has lost something since they made things easier for the defenders. I remember when it first came up and it was hard as hell. We were forming up in little bands, roleplaying, enjoying the challenge. It was so fun getting overrun.

Spoons already answered this complaint and he gave a response that makes perfect sense. Most Humans VS bots players probably aren't looking for a challenge. And i know a few have complained when it did get hard. However, I would counter that the server population has seemed lower as of late, and making it harder would attract alot more veteran players he want a challenge as well as the mindless fun. And i bet besides the few raqequitters, most will appreciate the increased roleplay that is born from the challenge.

I know this is just anecdotal, but maybe the challenge will actually draw players not scare them away. I mean heck when it first got huge it was hard as hell and the numbers were consistent.

Yep, agree with most of this. Too many changes to the standard game are driving players off the server. Watched six games during the early population-building-time this morning.

Just too many player cav made it pointless on some maps - 16 players, 5 of them cav?   

Then of 32 bots - 6 flags, 5 musicians - a third of the bots not fighters?  Berserkers didn't make any difference as they spent all games chasing player cav. Too many bots that don't fight.

Way too many defence points against 32 bots. Impossible for 2 coms to make any headway.

4 successive bot coms rage quit after trying to get their bots forward to attack. 2 of them were guys ive seen command bots good before. This left nobody commanding bots who just ran around in circles following cav.

Besides the rage quitting coms - All this combined crap led to players on human side getting bored and leaving. Went down to 6 - and 15th went up correspondingly.

On Helms Deep map, 1 player held all bots up by kneeling and stabbing - was all he did the whole game for two rounds in same position - was impossible for coms to get to - so entire 2 round game was pointless - again, coms quit, then most players left shortly after.  Admin - there were a couple on at the time - did nothing about it. This happens so often now - its a joke.

Also, it was hard enough with 5 coms if some were not commanding the bots - but now 6?  Which means as a com you get maybe 20 bots max now?  So if 4 coms are the "I don't know WTF im doing" variety or troll coms, only 40 bots are actively attacking 75 players. There just seems not enough bots now. Too many EZ comments from players that then leave.

I used to bot com a lot on this server - I don't bother now, its just so completely stacked in defenders favour. Players who complain about bot numbers being too high don't realise that being pushed and challenged is what makes good intense games and keeps players on server - all that has gone now, and the players are going too. Which is a damn shame, because for awhile it was bloody good, and really had something.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 05:33:18 am by Magoovian »

Offline Combatworthywombat

• Private
  • Real men fight with their hips, not their fists
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #122 on: July 18, 2016, 05:31:16 am »

Yep, agree with most of this. Too many changes to the standard game are driving players off the server. Watched six games during the early population-building-time this morning.

Just too many player cav made it pointless on some maps - 16 players, 5 of them cav?   

Then of 32 bots - 6 flags, 5 musicians - a third of the bots not fighters?  Berserkers didn't make any difference as they spent all games chasing player cav. Too many bots that don't fight.

Way too many defence points against 32 bots. Impossible for 2 coms to make any headway.

4 successive bot coms rage quit after trying to get their bots forward to attack. 2 of them were guys ive seen command bots good before. This left nobody commanding bots who just ran around in circles following cav.

Besides the rage quitting coms - All this combined crap led to players on human side getting bored and leaving. Went down to 6 - and 15th went up correspondingly.

On Helms Deep map, 1 player held all bots up by kneeling and stabbing - was all he did the whole game for two rounds in same position - was impossible for coms to get to - so entire 2 round game was pointless - again, coms quit, then most players left shortly after.  Admin - there were a couple on at the time - did nothing about it. This happens so often now - its a joke.

Also, it was hard enough with 5 coms if some were not commanding the bots - but now 6?  Which means as a com you get maybe 20 bots max now?  So if 4 coms are the "I don't know WTF im doing" variety or troll coms, only 40 bots are actively attacking 75 players. There just seems not enough bots now. Too many EZ comments from players that then leave.

I used to bot com a lot on this server - I don't bother now, its just so completely stacked in defenders favour. Players who complain about bot numbers being too high don't realise that being pushed and challenged is what makes good intense games and keeps players on server - all that has gone now, and the players are going too. Which is a damn shame, because for awhile it was bloody good, and really had something.

Magoovian raises good points;
all of the things he has suggested were original characteristics of old humans v bots servers where scripting played little to no part in the game and admins were what drove each server.

Man_vs_Bots_Rebirth is no stranger to this and we underwent the transition from autonomy to scripting after quite a lot of consideration

firstly let me describe the situation we had when we had little to no extra scripting;

our player base was much smaller; on average around 15 with bad days being 0 and good days being 40
we had a manual bot number panel; bot numbers had to be set by admins depending on how they 'felt' the team was coping (x2 and plus a bit was the guideline)
we were a significant underdog; 15th at that time regularly had 4 to 6 times our numbers (being the underdog changes the playerbase - you get more experienced and more involved players on a lower pop server)
we had few maps; the maps were known well by the admins and player base but offered little variation
player base; the old server certainly had a much more 'banterous' player base that was both better at the game and willing to cooperate more

However we have now moved to a more automated model of server without which we wouldn't have anywhere near the numbers we do now - that much is for certain;
the automated bot number adjuster means that players can fluctuate through the day and night and still have vaguely balanced bot numbers
we also have more admins which means that there is more time spent monitoring the coms and general player base
the scripts;

pirate hats
heal station
flag bearers, musicians
berserkers
grenades
horses spawned at troughs
map specifics - eg. helms deep elevator
individual admin uniforms
admin panel shortcuts; (such as 2.5x bots and 50 bot instawave)

these have for sure meant that the game has been revitalised for many players and i believe they are the biggest reason we overtook the 15th

However i wonder if the concerns Magoovian raises are simply a symptom of having a larger player base;
let me explain
when you have 10 or so players on a server on a medium sized map there is no way for all ten to spread themselves evenly to defend particular choke points - and the opposing bots have more places where a charge will result in a breakthrough. On the other end of the spectrum when you have 100 players no point is left undefended, everywhere is covered and so the attacking bots find it more difficult to enter through one point (and communication and coordination for botcoms becomes more difficult the more of them there are)

essentially gameplay doesn't scale up - the constant fluctuations in power at low player numbers where bot charges to the flag and human charges to the bots are common only arise from the smaller numbers. its the law of large numbers; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_large_numbers

the decrease in the rp and such isn't necessarily the fault of admins or the new game mechanics - its just a bit of maths.
and we have realised that there is less variation; this is the very reason we have all these extra scripts;

the berserkers mean that bot charges are more difficult to stop - they introduce yet another variable to make things more random
the admin tools such as the 50 bot wave mean that admins have more power to twist and change the course of a game

i personally think the server is as good as it has ever been - all we need is for people to get involved, get RPing and help the admins when they do try to liven up the game for you

despite all of this with so many new introductions to the server; maps, playerbase change ect. there will undoubtably be teething problems and perhaps things that worked in the past won't work now (different maps certainly have different balance points - tonight when i was on; there were 4 consecutive bot wins) - we tread a fine line between proper balance and providing unpredicatable situations. Any objections and suggestions are welcome

yours truly; wombat

« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 06:18:28 pm by Combatworthywombat »

Offline Skittykiller

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Skitty, DOG GAME
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #123 on: July 18, 2016, 12:58:58 pm »
In game name: 75th_Colonel_Skitty
Link to steam profile: Skittykiller is costum Link
Why you want to be an admin: most times in the morning when i get on the server there are alot of people on but no admins most times then people take their Changes to do bad things on the server and i wanna punish those people for their bad behavior
Past admin experience: 1 Year Event hosting and i host my own Server
References: Qubez

Offline Spoons

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 33rd_Col_Spoons
« Reply #124 on: July 19, 2016, 05:43:28 pm »
All great points, but I think I've addressed them at some point before in this thread - the main reason we had low population last week is because our server was crashsing most days.

Offline Gurkha

• Lieutenant General
  • Former 33rd LtCol
    • View Profile
    • Official 33rd Regiment of Foot Website
  • Nick: Gurkha
  • Side: Union
« Reply #125 on: July 19, 2016, 06:45:00 pm »
Taleworld servers was down too I believe, some people could not connect to NW servers.

our server was crashing most days.

this has been amended too

Offline Skittykiller

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Skitty, DOG GAME
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #126 on: July 20, 2016, 07:47:18 am »
LOL OK
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 06:27:50 pm by Skittykiller »

Offline QuBeZ

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired oldfag
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 20, 2016, 06:01:09 pm »
In game name: 75th_Colonel_Skitty
Link to steam profile: Skittykiller is costum Link
Why you want to be an admin: most times in the morning when i get on the server there are alot of people on but no admins most times then people take their Changes to do bad things on the server and i wanna punish those people for their bad behavior
Past admin experience: 1 Year Event hosting and i host my own Server
References: Qubez

What is this?
I have no clue who you are. I don't have you on Steam. Never talked with you. Bunch of bs trying to reference me in your admin app. Definitely not vouching for you and I advise the head admins of Man vs Bots to consider rejecting this app on the aforementioned lies.

Offline flyburn11

• Private
    • View Profile
  • Nick: flyburn
« Reply #128 on: July 28, 2016, 06:24:52 pm »
In game name: flyburn
Link to steam profile:https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198119486738/
Why you want to be an admin: cause I love man vs bots rebirth new and old I have always played on it and to be truthfully I have trolled sometimes. I love the vs bots experience you get and i would love to make the sever grow and to provide a happy experience to other players.
Past admin experience: EU_commander 59th_zulu
References Blackknight head admin of Eu_commander

Offline McNuggets

• First Sergeant
  • "26e is a dead meme"- Midnight| Kovy's Nephew
    • View Profile
  • Nick: King Kj
« Reply #129 on: July 29, 2016, 11:16:17 pm »
In game name: King Kj
Link to steam profile: https://steamcommunity.com/id/YaBoiKj
Why you want to be an admin: I have a lot of admin ex. which I think would help keep the server nice and stable. 
Past admin experience: TNWL S2 Admin, NA RGL Admin, KaD Head Admin,
References: LiquidSkorpion, TNWL Referee
Skrt Skrt

Offline ^5Max

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 27, 2016, 09:46:25 pm »
In game name: Max
Link to steam profile: https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198032512287/
Why you want to be an admin: I play on the server when i have time and like spending time there and i would like to keep the server clean of trolling and such so people can enjoy the server
Past admin experience: 33rd Siege and other minor servers whos names i dont remember
References: Max - ^5fallingdown

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #131 on: September 01, 2016, 12:48:39 pm »
Server owner and admins,

I am the new owner of the NW server list thread.
As of now, there is only a small number of servers registered on there. I am trying to chance this.
It would be greatly appreciated if you would register your server on my thread. This not only helps the community to find threads of servers, it is also probable that your servers gains new players from it.

Instructions on how to register are on the thread itself

Click here to go to the Napoleonc Wars Server list thread!

Thanks in advance,
Riddlez
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Combatworthywombat

• Private
  • Real men fight with their hips, not their fists
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 01, 2016, 04:45:10 pm »
Christ riddlez, you're everywhere

Offline Mr_Etherton

• First Lieutenant
  • Hello There
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #133 on: September 02, 2016, 11:21:16 am »
In game name: Etherton
Link to steam profile: spoons got me
Why you want to be an admin: I enjoy playing on the server and I want to help run it smoothly and improve it where possible. Plus from south west
Past admin experience: admin on 15th HvB  ;), NWBC head admin, nwl ref, nlc head admin, various tournament refs, hosted lots of lbs.
References: Cenkris (lel), Spoons, Zagi

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #134 on: September 02, 2016, 12:02:53 pm »
Christ riddlez, you're everywhere

I have successfully infected this forum.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.