Author Topic: Restore my faith in humanity please BLM  (Read 11017 times)

Offline Eamon

• Major
  • LtCol of the 15th_YR
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Irish
  • Side: Confederacy
Restore my faith in humanity please BLM
« on: June 18, 2020, 05:27:20 pm »
Its tiring to see media about BLM whether it's the soccer game with City vs Arsenal last night kneeling and having BLM on their shirts or if its indie developers pulling or threatening to pull their games from Steam because Steam apparently won't put out their standpoint on the whole debacle. I mean sure sports people may feel particularly strongly about the issue or some may not but a Sky Sports commentator said something along the lines of "this shows sports has the power to change governments" I fail to see what any one particular government can do for BLM I don't see any inherently racist laws or way of life particularly in Britain where this match was played out. If anybody can enlighten me otherwise please do.

I know there is no smoke without fire but the whole world at least in the media appears to have gone crazy and I am just looking for your guys opinions because surely real people (on a gaming forum lol ikr) have a more realistic outlook on these issues that at least to me appear to be more of a cultural American issue rather than a worldwide one where every media outlet or public figure HAS to support the movement or be viewed as racist. Obviously there can be alot of factors and reasons why things are like this but I do not have the energy to put all these into this post.

Tl;dr FSE if you don't support BLM I may have to boycott you sorry

Offline Janne

• Lieutenant General
  • keep yourself safe
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: Restore my faith in humanity please BLM
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 05:38:36 pm »
fse fix racism pl0x

Offline Harford

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • salut
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 05:40:02 pm »
soccer game with City vs Arsenal

soccer

commit death now
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 05:41:38 pm by Harford »
Former 2ndCSG_Pvt | 7th_Trp | 8e_Mchl | 17e_CplFo | 77y_Pfc | 5e_Brg | 91st_Pte
Currently IVe_7eCvl

tardet will you marry me
Yes

Offline Eamon

• Major
  • LtCol of the 15th_YR
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 05:43:24 pm »
soccer game with City vs Arsenal

soccer

commit death now

Ireland has its own football

Offline Eazy-E

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: E
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 05:48:17 pm »
I don't know why you think a predominantly white, male internet gaming forum would have a "more realistic outlook on these issues" than pretty much every BAME public figure, including the majority of footballers in the game you mentioned.

Just because you can't see the systemic racism in Britain yourself doesn't mean it isn't there, and the fact that you respond to black people trying to educate the wider public about this injustice as unecessary is part of the problem. I'm white, have never had any difficult interactions with the police because I'm middle class and live in a nice area. It doesn't mean it doesn't go on. Stop and search in London, for example, has been disproportionatly targetting BAME people for decades. The Metropolitan Police (among other police forces in the UK) was found to be systemically racist by the Stephen Lawrence Inquiry - this was reaffirmed in 2015 by the Met Police Commissioner.

Just think about how fortunate you are that the worst thing going on for you right now is getting annoyed with the message that "black lives matter" being shoved down your throat - it's a much better position to be in than a black person living in a society that is systemically racist. (Again, this is not opinion, it is fact - there have been a lot of studies into it that you can access with a quick google. We might not be as bad as the US, thankfully, but it doesn't mean there aren't problems in the UK too).

I'd really recommend watching the Jane Elliott "Blue eyes-Brown eyes" experiment where she creates situations where white people can begin to understand the racism that BAME people have to deal with on a day to day basis.

TL;DR - Just because you can't see the racism, doesn't mean it isn't there. The fact you are upset about BLM being everywhere right now is problematic because it implies you don't take the complaints of ethnic minorities seriously. So no, nobody is forcing you to back the movement, but complaining about it either shows an ignorance of the facts at best or an unwillingness to listen and change, suggesting some degree of racism yourself, at worst.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 05:50:04 pm by Eazy-E »

Offline DayBoul

• Major
  • question mark
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [15th_YR] DayBoul
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 05:51:57 pm »
issues that at least to me appear to be more of a cultural American issue rather than a worldwide one
western countries are USA vassals in many sectors eversince Marshall Plan, including culturally = any controversy occuring in america will unevitably have some echo in Europe regardless of whether its relevant for us or not
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 05:58:40 pm by DayBoul »
lying requires that one first knows the truth, bullshitting calls for no such precondition - X Æ A-12

Phailur

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 06:06:28 pm »
bla
nice bait

now seriously - is this an issue in france/germany? It makes more sense for it to be an issue in the english speaking world where a lot of culture is easily transferred.

Offline Eazy-E

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2020, 06:09:36 pm »
bla
nice bait

now seriously - is this an issue in france/germany? It makes more sense for it to be an issue in the english speaking world where a lot of culture is easily transferred.

Good one, just stick your fingers in your ears and pretend it's not happening

Offline DayBoul

• Major
  • question mark
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [15th_YR] DayBoul
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2020, 06:12:29 pm »
xD well F for eazy-e, yet another fallen brother who slipped in the brainwash machine

F
lying requires that one first knows the truth, bullshitting calls for no such precondition - X Æ A-12

Offline Janne

• Lieutenant General
  • keep yourself safe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2020, 06:19:18 pm »
can you elaborate about this "brainwashing machine"

you seem like a truly based and red pilled individual so i definitely want to hear more

Offline BabyJesus

• General
  • #1 Cringe poster and lover of Anna Kendrick
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Most Average MVP of All Time
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2020, 06:20:04 pm »
I really wish I was able to join the protest in Minneapolis. I heard target was giving away free TVs
1st NWPC S2(21st)|(1st) 5v5 Draft~NA GroupFighting Tournament  |1st♕Rex's 6v6 Tournament | 1st TNWL S2(71st) | 1st NWL S5 (58e) | 3rd place Sleeks 5v5 (Highschoole DxD)
You are by far the best average player to touch this game.
Quote from: Risk
The BEST average player of all time

Offline Kulouš

• Colonel
  • Jsme Češi! Nikdy se nevzdáme! Slyšíte?! Nikdy!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Kulouš
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2020, 06:20:34 pm »
Move to the mighty Czech republic - people here don't give a shit about races and its problems.

This ain't any kind of racist comment. It's just how it is.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 06:28:31 pm by Kulouš »

Offline Golden.

• What in Gods name?
  • Major General
  • 🤠
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [G]
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2020, 06:34:06 pm »
I agree why has FSE not come out as supporting the movement? Anyone up for pillaging the server farms for hosting these virtual web forums?

Offline Eamon

• Major
  • LtCol of the 15th_YR
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2020, 06:58:10 pm »
I don't know why you think a predominantly white, male internet gaming forum would have a "more realistic outlook on these issues" than pretty much every BAME public figure, including the majority of footballers in the game you mentioned.

Just because you can't see the systemic racism in Britain yourself doesn't mean it isn't there, and the fact that you respond to black people trying to educate the wider public about this injustice as unecessary is part of the problem. I'm white, have never had any difficult interactions with the police because I'm middle class and live in a nice area. It doesn't mean it doesn't go on. Stop and search in London, for example, has been disproportionatly targetting BAME people for decades. The Metropolitan Police (among other police forces in the UK) was found to be systemically racist by the Stephen Lawrence Inquiry - this was reaffirmed in 2015 by the Met Police Commissioner.

Just think about how fortunate you are that the worst thing going on for you right now is getting annoyed with the message that "black lives matter" being shoved down your throat - it's a much better position to be in than a black person living in a society that is systemically racist. (Again, this is not opinion, it is fact - there have been a lot of studies into it that you can access with a quick google. We might not be as bad as the US, thankfully, but it doesn't mean there aren't problems in the UK too).

I'd really recommend watching the Jane Elliott "Blue eyes-Brown eyes" experiment where she creates situations where white people can begin to understand the racism that BAME people have to deal with on a day to day basis.

TL;DR - Just because you can't see the racism, doesn't mean it isn't there. The fact you are upset about BLM being everywhere right now is problematic because it implies you don't take the complaints of ethnic minorities seriously. So no, nobody is forcing you to back the movement, but complaining about it either shows an ignorance of the facts at best or an unwillingness to listen and change, suggesting some degree of racism yourself, at worst.

To answer your first paragraph - Because this forum contains people more accessible / contactable and BLM is not exactly prevalent in my local area so asking the locals is not much more than what i already know or what i am aware of.

I should clarify it is not that i don't see racism, i don't live in the UK so i don't hear the news as much as yourself for London etc. I just want to know if this is a proportionate response because there has been violence in the past but never this much reaction to it, and the media like to sensationalize a lot of things so i wanted more of a feet on the ground opinion.

I am not exactly upset, more annoyed by the excessive reporting on it - even if the situation calls for excessiveness to get people to listen to the message, is everybody, companies etc. doing it for the right reasons, or are they just bandwagoning?
(not exactly relevant but wasn't too long ago that Irish people were discriminated against lmao so thankfully i have nothing to complain about nowadays)

And again the complaints of ethnic minorities at least on a local level has not applied to me directly yet, so i would not know. I do think racism is more to do with the human nature of that person is different to me therefore i should be afraid but this can be applied to all different arguments.

Offline Eazy-E

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2020, 07:30:10 pm »
To answer your first paragraph - Because this forum contains people more accessible / contactable and BLM is not exactly prevalent in my local area so asking the locals is not much more than what i already know or what i am aware of.

I should clarify it is not that i don't see racism, i don't live in the UK so i don't hear the news as much as yourself for London etc. I just want to know if this is a proportionate response because there has been violence in the past but never this much reaction to it, and the media like to sensationalize a lot of things so i wanted more of a feet on the ground opinion.

I am not exactly upset, more annoyed by the excessive reporting on it - even if the situation calls for excessiveness to get people to listen to the message, is everybody, companies etc. doing it for the right reasons, or are they just bandwagoning?
(not exactly relevant but wasn't too long ago that Irish people were discriminated against lmao so thankfully i have nothing to complain about nowadays)

And again the complaints of ethnic minorities at least on a local level has not applied to me directly yet, so i would not know. I do think racism is more to do with the human nature of that person is different to me therefore i should be afraid but this can be applied to all different arguments.

Well first thanks for actually taking the time to respond - the reason why I replied in the first place was because it seemed like a genuine question, opening yourself up to differing opinions which is always valuable - even if a thread like this is gonna get memed to shit by people too lazy to actually get involved and join the discussion.

Fair enough that this is your first port of call for getting opinions outside your family/friends/local circle where, if you're living in Ireland, I assume it isn't as big an issue due to there being just fewer BAME people in general - as well as not having that imperialist history which is part of the issue in the UK. I would just say that typically places like these aren't the best to get actual information from (even though I realise you're just looking for opinions, I'm just saying they aren't going to be representative of the wider public due to how niche this game/community is), so you're going to get a lot of bandwaggoning of opinions here as well.

I can see the frustration in all these corporations shoving a political stance down your throats. And yes, it is virtue signalling. It happened a few years ago in the UK when gay marriage was on the table and companies started using the rainbow flag in their logos etc. I don't think it's genuine at all, and clearly they are just hopping on the bandwagon and trying to appear trendy - note how they are always late to the party and never do these things out of their own initiative. So I would see corporations doing this not out of the goodness of their hearts but rather because they can see which way the wind is blowing on an issue and want to make sure they can still market to people. I would use corporations as a measure for how big a social issue is rather than them having any influence over it.

I know too well how Irish people were discriminated against in the UK. My grandparents were Irish and when they moved to London in the 50s there would be signs on businesses that said "No blacks, no Irish, no dogs", something my grandparents never really got over. So there are definitely historical and current examples of racism that aren't about skin colour, but the point of the BLM movement isn't to try to undermine those issues, it's just about putting things in perspective.

I think the reason this has picked up so much momentum compared to previous protests is the widespread social media element. If you go on reddit to /r/publicfreakout or /r/2020policebrutality you can see hundreds of videos from the past month of mainly American police being way too heavy handed with peaceful black and BLM protesters, whilst also ignoring or even encouraging violence from groups on the other side. Trump has been throwing fuel on the fire as well, using racist dogwhistles to prevent people from using their constitutional right to protest.

TL;DR Corporations don't give a shit and are jumping on a bandwagon, but that is evidence of the size of the movement and scale of the issue at hand. Fortunately, most of us here will never have experienced racism against us so I think we should be more willing to stop and listen to what black and ethnic minority people have to say about it.