Author Topic: 🎾 Tennis thread  (Read 1375 times)

Skaen

🎾 Tennis thread
« on: January 06, 2020, 05:27:55 pm »
I play Tennis myself, and I asked myself if there are other people in the community who also play or like to watch the sport. Feel free to discuss anything related to Tennis here.

Wursti

Re: 🎾 Tennis thread
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 05:31:44 pm »
Zverev in 2k20 is a big meme

Offline Fwuffy

• Amazing human being who deserves this title fully
  • General
  • Statue Gaming™
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Toupie
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 05:32:13 pm »
:O :D

Offline BabyJesus

• General
  • #1 Cringe poster and lover of Anna Kendrick
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Most Average MVP of All Time
  • Side: Union
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 05:32:49 pm »
I played tennis in high school. Haven’t played since

1st NWPC S2(21st)|(1st) 5v5 Draft~NA GroupFighting Tournament  |1st♕Rex's 6v6 Tournament | 1st TNWL S2(71st) | 1st NWL S5 (58e) | 3rd place Sleeks 5v5 (Highschoole DxD)
You are by far the best average player to touch this game.
Quote from: Risk
The BEST average player of all time

Skaen

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 05:37:28 pm »
Zverev in 2k20 is a big meme
Yes, seeing him lose against Alex de Minaur at the ATP was pretty special.

Oh, may I ask why you stopped playing?

Offline AccursedGull

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • If you are losing the battle, just win. ~Sun Tzu
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Gull ; Broly
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2020, 06:41:33 pm »
Also play tennis but had to stop last year cause military

"Only when a mosquito lands on your balls will you learn to rather use precision than strength"

Offline Steinmann

• King of Börk
  • Brigadier General
  • Mutual Owning with Elsse.
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 12:50:52 am »

Offline Windflower

• General
  • ex PSG, 30th
    • View Profile
    • my jam
  • Side: Union
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 01:21:45 am »
Djokovic is still the GOAT right? I only really like to follow Raonic since he's Canadian.. Tennis has been kinda boring the last 10 years as it has just been dominated by Djokovic, Nadal, and Federer.

Yes, seeing him lose against Alex de Minaur at the ATP was pretty special.
He also lost to Raonic last year xd

NAPL season 1 saw the greatest regiment winning
ribbit 🐸 cute? 😳 im not cute 😓 i mean my parents 👨‍👩‍👧 call me cute ☺️ but honestly 👉👈 ive never ❌ heard it 👂 from someone else 🗣 before 🥰 thanks i guess? 😳

Skaen

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2020, 06:42:03 pm »
True and yes Djokovic is still on the 1st place for as far as I know. Goffin beated Nadal today with 6-4, 7-6 (7/3). Belgium is out the ATP though, but I am happy there is talent in our small country.

Wursti

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2020, 12:03:39 am »
#1 Nadal
#2 Djokovic
#3 Federer

atm

Skaen

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2020, 12:09:47 am »
#1 Nadal
#2 Djokovic
#3 Federer

atm
Ah well, glad Djokovic is not number 1 anymore. Can’t really stand the guy, but great tennis player nontheless.

Offline StockholmDE

• Colonel
  • Ex 66th Gren / Former 92nd Grenadier Ens
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Stockholm
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2020, 04:34:32 pm »
#1 Nadal
#2 Djokovic
#3 Federer

atm
Ah well, glad Djokovic is not number 1 anymore. Can’t really stand the guy, but great tennis player nonetheless.
Sadly didn't see this thread before, happy to see some tennis players or fans here. Btw Djokovic back to World Number 1 after the Australian Open thriller win.

Gonna give some 2020 end of the year ranking prediction to keep this thread alive.

#1 Novak Djokovic (Serbia): For me the only player being able to take Masters and Grand Slam titles on every surface. I see him in the 2020s Wimbledon and US Open Final winning one of them. On clay I see him doing an okay season with the potential to win something but not going further than the Semifinal at Roland Garros. His biggest opponent for the year-end number #1 is probably his own greed to be the most successful player of all time.

#2 Rafael Nadal (Spain): The Clay Court King in my opinion still is the main favorite to win at least 2 big clay-court titles (500+) plus Roland Garros. But I don't see him getting to another Wimbledon or US Open final and predict him to not win more than 1 Masters 1000 title that is not played on clay.

#3 Dominic Thiem (Austria): Having played a strong year 2019 winning his first Masters 1000 title (Indian Wells) and now getting to the 2020 Australian Open Final losing it very close I see him dominating the clay-court season together with Nadal losing the Roland Garros final for a 3rd time in a row against him. But I also see him performing very well on hard court which is probably the biggest step he made throughout the last 9 months. Being the "oldest" of the "New Gen" he seems pretty matured.

#4 Alexander "Sascha" Zverev (Germany): I may wear my german glasses here but Sascha seems to have found his service again and going to his first Grand Slam Semi-Final at the AO2020 can be a big breakthrough for him. Although I don't see him going to his first Grand Slam Final I predict him to win at least 1 more Masters 1000 title and several 500 or 250 titles. The last point that makes him interesting is that he nearly performs even on every surface.

#5 Roger Federer (Switzerland): Hard for me to say but I think Roger isn't capable to perform a whole season anymore. First of all, we will see if he will play any clay tournament. If he does I don't expect him to get to any final. But for me, he is the main favorite to win his favorite tournaments in Halle and Basel. Also, I see a chance for him to win his 9th Wimbledon title. At the US Open, he looks like a solid player going to the semis or the quarters but not more.

#6 Daniil Medvedev (Russia): Even when many experts say he is the hottest candidate of the "New Gen" to get his big breakthrough I only see him winning one Masters 1000 title not necessarily going to a Grand Slam final.

#7 Stefanos Tsitsipas (Greece): For me, the least matured "New Gen" star. I personally don't even see him going to a Grand Slam semi-final and not winning a Masters 1000 title.

#8 Stan Wawrinka (Switzerland): I picked him a bit due to missing other players I see at this high ranking positions but Stan showed us in 2019 that you have to have him on the list for at least a Semi-Final at every Tournament he plays. Especially on clay he could get a last big title (not Roland Garros). With his AO Quarter-Final winning against Medvedev on his way there I think he is the one to pick for the last ATP-Finals spot.

#9 Roberto Bautista Agut (Spain): He impressed me very much in 2019, for example in Halle against Federer which I saw live. I don't expect him to make a big run at a Grand Slam but I see him performing well on every surface and at least winning an ATP500 title.

#10 Andrey Rublev (Russia): He convinced me with the two ATP250 titles he already achieved before the Australian Open. I have to admit I haven't seen him playing for a while but his movement in the ranking from somewhere out of the Top 70 to 15 since the Hamburg Open in mid-2019 at the moment says everything.

Shortly missed out:
Milos Raonic (Canada): Would be my number 8 but I don't believe his body stays fine so he can perform a whole season.
David Goffing (Belgium): Still constant but nobody for big runs.
Matteo Berrettini (Italy): In the past, he showed us that he can perform big on one surface per season but not more (2018 clay, 2019 grass).
Karen Khachanov (Russia): Too much relies on his inconstant forehand.
Shapovalov / Auger-Aliassime / De Minaur: Need to mature for at least one more season till they go for their big breakthrough
Monfils / Fognini / Schwartzman: Experienced top guys but more for the Top 20.
Dimitrov / Nishikori: They both just lost their strength. I personally don't believe that they can make a big Top 8 comeback.