Author Topic: Good laptop  (Read 2531 times)

Skaen

Good laptop
« on: January 01, 2020, 03:08:52 pm »
Hello

Do you guys now a good laptop that can run m&b napoleonic wars with atleast a stable 80 ~ fps? Other games I will play are Age of Empires and The Witcher games. I’d like a laptop with the biggest possible screen too.

Thanks

Offline MarjioviçR

• Captain
  • freedoms simp
    • View Profile
  • Nick: MotoBvock MaimLockXD
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Good laptop
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 04:05:40 pm »
any laptop with wifi will do the job enjoy
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 05:06:37 pm by MarjioviçR »

Offline bobertini

• Major General
  • Stark <3<3<3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 04:05:41 pm »
Budget?

Skaen

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2020, 04:07:13 pm »
Hmm say around 1000 - 1500 euros

Offline bobertini

• Major General
  • Stark <3<3<3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 04:11:02 pm »

First thing of real note, gaming laptops can get quite hot so there's that.

When I bought mine (2 years ago) I went for the Acer Predator Helios 300 i5 1060 one.

You're probably going to look for perhaps a Razer, Acer or HP Omen laptop I'd say.

Skaen

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2020, 04:13:30 pm »

First thing of real note, gaming laptops can get quite hot so there's that.

When I bought mine (2 years ago) I went for the Acer Predator Helios 300 i5 1060 one.

You're probably going to look for perhaps a Razer, Acer or HP Omen laptop I'd say.
Oh no worries, my previous one got pretty hot too. Thank you! I will search them up. :)

Offline Rutger Müller

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Ryu? | Fancy?? | Rutger???
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2020, 04:28:51 pm »
look for something with some sort of good alternative cooling method because you could have good specs but the heat will severely throttle the CPU

Skaen

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2020, 04:30:41 pm »
look for something with some sort of good alternative cooling method because you could have good specs but the heat will severely throttle the CPU
Yeah, I suppose that’s right, do you have any in mind? I’m kinda brainless on these techy subjects sadly.

Offline Shadow

• Former Moderator
  • Decorated Soldier, Validated Commander, GHTG
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Shadow
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2020, 04:41:03 pm »
I like to watch this person who reviews laptops...just for a point of view.  In addition to overall testing, he also performs what seems to be pretty thorough in-game testing.  Does a bunch of different laptops, and thorough comparison/grading of other similar laptops on the market (in more recent vids).

Alternatively, I got a MSI GE63 Raider RGB and it has performed quite well.  Undervolting is probably your best friend in laptops especially.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2Rzju32yQPkQ7oIhmeuLwg
FSE Head Moderator, Feb 2018 - Apr 2022
FSE Community Moderator, Oct 2015 - Feb 2018

FSE Discord Moderator, Dec 2018 - Present

Former Leutnant 19te Prussian Infantry || Feel free to contact me on Steam here

Join the FSE Discord here!

Skaen

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2020, 04:43:58 pm »
I like to watch this person who reviews laptops...just for a point of view.  In addition to overall testing, he also performs what seems to be pretty thorough in-game testing.  Does a bunch of different laptops, and thorough comparison/grading of other similar laptops on the market (in more recent vids).

Alternatively, I got a MSI GE63 Raider RGB and it has performed quite well.  Undervolting is probably your best friend in laptops especially.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2Rzju32yQPkQ7oIhmeuLwg
Thank you kindly. I’ll take a look this evening at his channel. Good for comparing ‘em all.

Offline Windflower

• General
  • ex PSG, 30th
    • View Profile
    • my jam
  • Side: Union
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2020, 05:39:29 pm »
I like thinkpads those are my preferred laptops
rly good stuff

NAPL season 1 saw the greatest regiment winning
ribbit 🐸 cute? 😳 im not cute 😓 i mean my parents 👨‍👩‍👧 call me cute ☺️ but honestly 👉👈 ive never ❌ heard it 👂 from someone else 🗣 before 🥰 thanks i guess? 😳

Offline DrunkenSpartan

• Sergeant Major
  • Run towards the sound of thunder :P It's more fun.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 33rd_Fus_Spartan
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2020, 06:21:15 pm »
At that price point you’ll probably want to look at Acer Predator Helios 300, MSI Raider or some of the ASUS ROG stuff, though admittedly I don’t know much about Asus hardware. MSI is my personal favorite but it’s a matter of opinion. You’ll probably want something with a 144hz monitor and at least a 1060 graphics card if you’re going with NVIDIA. 8-16gb of ram is fine, speed and channel matter more than excess amount anyways but let’s not get into that. Preferably you want an SSD instead of a regular hard drive, 512gb should be fine. For processors a 9th gen i5 or an 8th or 9th gen i7 should be fine (my budget i5-9300H runs all the games you mentioned fine, but if you’re looking for more power go for the i7). Get a good cooling pad from Amazon for like $30 USD and your heat situation is fine, my Havit 5 cost $25 and keeps my laptop cool without undervolting, however undervolting is still definitely your best friend. Hope this helps, I’m assuming you are new/novice regarding computers, if not forgive my rambling :P
It's the same old thing since 1916
In your head, in your head they're still fighting
With their tanks and their bombs
And air bombs and their guns
In your head, in your head they are dying...

Skaen

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2020, 06:27:16 pm »
At that price point you’ll probably want to look at Acer Predator Helios 300, MSI Raider or some of the ASUS ROG stuff, though admittedly I don’t know much about Asus hardware. MSI is my personal favorite but it’s a matter of opinion. You’ll probably want something with a 144hz monitor and at least a 1060 graphics card if you’re going with NVIDIA. 8-16gb of ram is fine, speed and channel matter more than excess amount anyways but let’s not get into that. Preferably you want an SSD instead of a regular hard drive, 512gb should be fine. For processors a 9th gen i5 or an 8th or 9th gen i7 should be fine (my budget i5-9300H runs all the games you mentioned fine, but if you’re looking for more power go for the i7). Get a good cooling pad from Amazon for like $30 USD and your heat situation is fine, my Havit 5 cost $25 and keeps my laptop cool without undervolting, however undervolting is still definitely your best friend. Hope this helps, I’m assuming you are new/novice regarding computers, if not forgive my rambling :P
Yes I'm a newbie at this sort of stuff. Thank you for this information. :) Can you show me your full specs that you have?

Offline DrunkenSpartan

• Sergeant Major
  • Run towards the sound of thunder :P It's more fun.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 33rd_Fus_Spartan
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2020, 06:42:01 pm »
Sure, but my computer is pretty budget and you can do a lot better at 1000-1500 Euro.

Acer Nitro

Intel Core i5-9300H Coffee Lake-H 14nm 2.4-4.1 GHz

Intel HM370 Cannon Lake-H motherboard

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4gb

8gb Kingston 2666 SDRAM SO-DIMM

512gb SSD

Poo-poo LG Phillips 60Hz monitor (IPS LED, still only 60Hz though)

I'm saving up a bit for a new laptop as well. I would definitely recommend avoiding a 1650 and going for a 1060 or higher. Same for monitors, 144Hz is not super expensive anymore. Also, laptop GPUs tend to be soldered onto the motherboard, so choose wisely :P
It's the same old thing since 1916
In your head, in your head they're still fighting
With their tanks and their bombs
And air bombs and their guns
In your head, in your head they are dying...

Offline JollyCanadian

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • I fucking got out bitches | 84th Geezer | 2929
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2020, 07:02:50 pm »
Most zephyrus laptops are good, not too heavy good specs. decent thermals all made by asus and have pretty good customer service.

If you want to learn more about laptops and which are good or not Dave 2D is a great channel dude knows what's up and gives honest opinions on all the laptops.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVYamHliCI9rw1tHR1xbkfw
5x NACR Elect | Current: Glenn's Husband|ex- 84th/15e/17th/30th(OG)/USMC/58e/26e/