Poll

Is this a good idea or bad idea?

Good Idea.
11 (30.6%)
Bad Idea.
25 (69.4%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Tournament admission fee?  (Read 1441 times)

Offline Jarl Ballin Swag

• Second Lieutenant
  • FROM MY PERSPECTIVE THE GEDI ARE EVIL!!!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: cuck_
  • Side: Neutral
Tournament admission fee?
« on: May 30, 2014, 10:22:30 am »
When hosting a tournament the host has to put up the prize money for the winning player(s). I was wondering if instead of doing this, each person that entered the tournament would have to pay a dollar or 2 admission fee? If there is a duel tournament that has over 70 players (Like rebels duel tournament) and everyone would have to of payed a small 2 dollar admission fee, that would be over 140 dollars for the winner(s). This concept would also make sure that people would show up to the tournament because they paid their own money to participate in it. A problem is that the host could just run off with the money, so there would have to be a lot of trust in the host of the tournament. I'm pretty sure this crosses some legal boundaries but I am not positive.  What do you think?

Offline Jarl Ballin Swag

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Tournament admission fee?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 10:27:51 am »
Sorry for the bad grammar it's like 4 in the morning, I'll fix any erroros tomorrow.

Offline RisingSun_

• First Lieutenant
  • Mhhm Hum It's Jesus | Sweeeeg
    • View Profile
  • Nick: JEEESUS
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 11:25:18 am »
The NW community is just too small for this. It's a great idea, just not enough people would sign up.

Offline Gokiller

• Almost Pride of Ni
  • Major General
  • Bydand in the chat lads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 12:41:20 pm »
Tournaments should be about the fun of winning it, not about a price behind it. That, and just the fact that I wouldn't see 50 people pay 2 euro's on a tournament that they probably won't win anyway.

Offline JackieChan

• First Lieutenant
  • Galavant
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 01:44:22 pm »
I dislike the idea. I for one would not participate in any tournaments any more then.

Offline Jarl Ballin Swag

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 04:07:07 pm »
Tournaments should be about the fun of winning it, not about a price behind it. That, and just the fact that I wouldn't see 50 people pay 2 euro's on a tournament that they probably won't win anyway.

I've talked to a lot of people that only really play in tournaments for the prize money. Perhaps that's only on the NA side of the community.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 04:10:18 pm by Jarl Ballin Swag »

Offline Gokiller

• Almost Pride of Ni
  • Major General
  • Bydand in the chat lads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 04:29:30 pm »
So many jews.  :'(

Offline Killington

• Major General
  • Everyone's favourite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 04:46:55 pm »
I don't really like the idea, the prize (if there is one) should have a value of at most like $20, anything more and tensions can get pretty serious over the high stakes if a round is kind of shady. I'm just not sure that the community could handle that healthily. Also, personally whenever I attend a tournament it's just for fun, don't believe in prize money much.
In theory we could do huge player numbers far over 500 players per server...  As such we will surely keep our promise to deliver you the 500 players per server.

We will probably go (far) over it, but that's for later.

Offline FrithBiscuit

• Colonel
  • PM me for pics, cutest Grimbarian
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 04:51:38 pm »
"Hm, which tournament do I enter in? The one that costs actual money, or the one that doesn't?"

Wouldn't work, sorry. :(
Current:
Past: 63e CdB, 43rd Ens, 28th Lt, 1stElbe Lt

Offline Thunderstormer

• FSE Developer
  • Worse than Hotler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 07:51:28 pm »
Would depend on the game and community.  I came from the Socom community where there were more people, let alone adults.(Game was rated M, so it wasn't as easy for kids to get the game and play it)  Quite a few of them were very competitive and wouldn't mind paying money for a tournament.   Some people played the series so much, and were very good, that they figured why not make a few $(could be hundreds or thousands to the winning team, not to mention 2nd and 3rd place.) while playing the game they love? 

One of the groups that help set up tournaments got so big that they grew from just being Socom.  I am pretty sure now that it is so big, people don't need to donate and advertisement pays for it but I could be wrong on that.  Haven't checked on it in a while, and I haven't been in that part of that competitive community for a very long time. 

I am referring to Socombattles, AKA Gamebattles.

I keep thinking that there was 2nd group like gamebattles, but I cant remember it.
Should you need to talk to me regarding NA1 or or something regarding admining or the admins, PM me here on the forums and not on steam.  *

*This does not include Official Server Admins.

Offline tico13

• Donator
  • NA Server Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 3rd_Col_Tico
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 07:54:57 pm »
Contrary to a lot of the opinions here, I for one would participate. But like you said, it'd take a hella trustworthy administration. Also, the tourney itself would need to be heavily administered so that there would be no room for debate in match results.

Tournaments are fun and I tend to participate either way, this just makes it more interesting IMO.

Offline Grimsight

• Donator
  • ᴅɪꜱʀᴇꜱᴩᴇᴄᴛ_Yᴏᴜʀ_ᴍᴇᴍᴇꜱ
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 3eVolt
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 12:50:41 am »
would be a lot more interesting than the barrage of identical duel tourneys we've been getting these past months

Offline Superbad

• Ros the whore of Winterfell
  • Donator
  • Nothing gold can stay...
    • View Profile
  • Nick: SuperbadV
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2014, 11:47:29 am »
would be a lot more interesting than the barrage of identical duel tourneys we've been getting these past months

I agree with the above.

Offline MrTiki

• Former Moderator
  • Senior Madmin EU
    • View Profile
  • Nick: MrTiki
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2014, 02:07:30 pm »
Tbh it's more the principal of it than the fact I wouldn't want to spend a euro or two. The vast majority of the community I don't trust in the slightest (having seen things like the 91st's...miscommunication? over donations). I realise that it unfairly judges a lot of people, but that's simply the impression I get.
Having been scammed by a Chinese company over Ebay before, I don't really fancy giving out money to strangers.

Also, like other people said, larger communities would get larger numbers entering, making it more viable. It would also enable an honest group of people organising it to actually show that they are honest, because more people would be willing to trust them. As they host more, they could become a sort of official cash prize tournament. The first time you do one will always be the dodgiest.

Offline SeanBeansShako

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2014, 03:25:14 pm »
Considering how drama prone this community gets I don't really think it is a good idea at all, sorry. The last thing we need is accusations of thievery and cheating to win money.