Poll

What is (In your opinion) the best nation in NW.

Rossiyskaya Imperiya
Königreich Preußen
United Kingdoms
Empire Francais
Kaisertum Österreich

Author Topic: Best NW Nation?  (Read 19537 times)

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Best NW Nation?
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2012, 12:06:40 pm »
The French had the Irish legion (I'm to lazy to search the proper French name.). It originally existed of a single battalion of only irishmen, but it was captured during the siege of Flushing and sent to prison camps until after the war. Two of their officers, however, managed to hide themselves and the regimental eagle. They escaped a few days later and made their way to Paris, where they were granted medals and promotions. The (being raised at that time) 2nd battalion became the first, a new 2nd was raised, but they were hardly Irish. Sure, there were some, but mostly 2nd generation Irish, a whole lot of Polish and other foreigners. It became known as 'Le 3eme Regiment Etranger', losing their Irish sticker for good.

There also was a regiment of the line, the 43e or 47e I believe, which had a particular high amount of Irish (or from Irish decentance)

Offline Desparin

• Sergeant Major
  • Bullets have the right of way!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 88th_Pte_Ralph_Fitzgerald
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2012, 12:13:36 pm »
The French had the Irish legion (I'm to lazy to search the proper French name.). It originally existed of a single battalion of only irishmen, but it was captured during the siege of Flushing and sent to prison camps until after the war. Two of their officers, however, managed to hide themselves and the regimental eagle. They escaped a few days later and made their way to Paris, where they were granted medals and promotions. The (being raised at that time) 2nd battalion became the first, a new 2nd was raised, but they were hardly Irish. Sure, there were some, but mostly 2nd generation Irish, a whole lot of Polish and other foreigners. It became known as 'Le 3eme Regiment Etranger', losing their Irish sticker for good.

There also was a regiment of the line, the 43e or 47e I believe, which had a particular high amount of Irish (or from Irish decentance)

I also vaguely remember there being an Irish regiment in French service during the 18th Century - Buckeley's perhaps? Pretty sure they were in Empire: Total War.

Offline Bluehawk

• Sergeant Major
  • чекмень - шаровары - шашка
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2012, 12:40:52 pm »
There were six in total that made up the Irish legion, though mostly not all at the same time: Berwick's, Buckeley's, Clare's, Dillon's, Lally's, and Rooth's. They swore allegiance to the crown, so they disbanded during the revolution. Napoleon later created the Légion irlandaise which became the 3e Régiment Étranger.

Supposedly, they gave their commands always in Irish, and Anglicized officers were forced to learn Gaelic by necessity. I think that's pretty keen.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 12:44:16 pm by Bluehawk »

Offline Desparin

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2012, 12:45:52 pm »
There were six in total that made up the Irish legion, though mostly not all at the same time: Berwick's, Buckeley's, Clare's, Dillon's, Lally's, and Rooth's. They swore allegiance to the crown, so they disbanded during the revolution. Napoleon later created the Légion irlandaise which became the 3e Régiment Étranger.

Supposedly, they gave their commands always in Irish, and Anglicized officers were forced to learn Gaelic by necessity. I think that's pretty keen.

Hmm, I shall definitely be looking this up later, has indeed piqued my interest. And with concerns to the officers giving orders in Gaelic, reminds me of the roman legions always giving their orders in Latin, no matter the provincial origin of the Legion they were commanding in xD

Offline Wolfe

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Sir_Awesome
  • Side: Union
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2012, 08:33:13 pm »
Britain all the way! It was better when they had Baker Rifles, though. And Austria is the only class with infantry muskatoons.
"It is well that war is so terrible, else we should grow too fond of it." - General Robert E. Lee
"If I owned Texas and Hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell." - General Phillip H. Sheridan
"We'll fight them, sir, 'til hell freezes over, and then, sir, we will fight them on the ice." - a Confederate soldier at Gettysburg

Offline Desparin

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2012, 10:03:08 am »
Britain all the way! It was better when they had Baker Rifles, though. And Austria is the only class with infantry muskatoons.

Indeed good sir! Those Baker Rifles puts the fear of God into those Froggies.

Offline Jacob

• Alpha Tester
  • Back after a long long time away :)
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Jacob
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2012, 11:53:19 am »
Russia with the PavGrens! My favorite banana hat soldiers!

Offline Maia

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2012, 03:01:11 pm »
Prussia!

Beautiful uniforms,absolutely LOVE their arty uniforms,and dem sexy hussars.

Offline Samuel J. Ahonen

• Donator
  • Kan man flyga på en fågel?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2012, 04:28:16 pm »
Svea Rike

+1
Even if it's not in the game. ;´(

But if I have to vote for any of the 5 mentioned, I vote for Prussia.

Offline Wolfe

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Sir_Awesome
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2012, 05:04:43 pm »

Right-o chap! I myself was quite proficient at stopping those nasty lancers back in the day... good times. At least now UK has rockets, which are better than Bakers... kind of... not  :(
"It is well that war is so terrible, else we should grow too fond of it." - General Robert E. Lee
"If I owned Texas and Hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell." - General Phillip H. Sheridan
"We'll fight them, sir, 'til hell freezes over, and then, sir, we will fight them on the ice." - a Confederate soldier at Gettysburg

Offline Desparin

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2012, 05:08:05 pm »

Right-o chap! I myself was quite proficient at stopping those nasty lancers back in the day... good times. At least now UK has rockets, which are better than Bakers... kind of... not  :(

Well they're at the very least more explosive :P That's got to count for something ;)

Offline Swii

• Donator
  • 91st_Pte_John_MacKay
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2012, 05:28:04 pm »
UK .  Because of the highlanders  8)

Offline Desparin

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2012, 05:46:23 pm »
UK .  Because of the highlanders  8)

Why does this not in the least surprise me ;)

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
  • "And I believe I have cut your throat"- Fiore
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wryngwyrm
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2012, 05:57:44 pm »
France, their heavy cavalry is by far the best and their cavalry as a whole is unmatched and the most diverse.

Offline Volume61

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 84e_Cmdt_Volume61
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2012, 01:23:53 pm »
France, really nice looking units and cause it has 84e :)
84e Regiment d'Infanterie de ligne JOIN US, Click the Banner!

84e_Cmdt_Volume61