Poll

Which of these event ideas sound promising/enjoyable to you?

Public Linebattle/NA_1 Event
Casual 1v1's Organization
Newbie/Pub Training (melee and other basics + practice 1v1 linebattles [skirmishes])
All of the above
None of the above

Author Topic: NA Competitive Community State of Affairs - *New Poll*  (Read 23023 times)

Offline junedragon

• Colonel
  • Nr2, 29th, PLG, 63e, Team Canada, 4eme
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
NA Competitive Community State of Affairs - *New Poll*
« on: March 01, 2016, 10:44:51 am »
Greetings!

I have created this thread primarily to facilitate discussion on the goings on of the competitive side of the North American community. More specifically, it is intended to foster constructive conversation on the issues troubling the community as well general suggestions for improving it.

Whilst the competive section is the primary focus, suggestions for the non-competitive side are also welcome in this thread.

I'd first like to get a general idea of members' opinions of the current state of the competitive community (as well as offer a preliminary opportunity to identify problems and to make suggestions).

To this end, I have created this brief (three question) survey.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to engaging the community in a constructive, meaningful manner for the next two months,
-Junedragon
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 05:40:28 pm by junedragon »
Why am I still here

Offline Salt

• Major
  • We really out here
    • View Profile
  • Nick: bless
  • Side: Neutral
Re: NA Competitive Community State of Affairs - *New Survey*
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 03:39:44 pm »

I'm offended to say the least.

But on a serious note, I think one thing we can do on the forum side is try and stop the serious problem of people signing up for tournaments that never show up. If you're going to sign up for something, make sure you can actually make it. If you can't make it, give some notice that you can't.
I'm the reincarnated Who- with no talent.

Offline BabyJesus

• General
  • #1 Cringe poster and lover of Anna Kendrick
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Most Average MVP of All Time
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 03:42:15 pm »
Can you force regiments that have 300+ members to disband plox
1st NWPC S2(21st)|(1st) 5v5 Draft~NA GroupFighting Tournament  |1st♕Rex's 6v6 Tournament | 1st TNWL S2(71st) | 1st NWL S5 (58e) | 3rd place Sleeks 5v5 (Highschoole DxD)
You are by far the best average player to touch this game.
Quote from: Risk
The BEST average player of all time

Offline Becker-

• Donator
    • View Profile
    • "The Gang joins the Army"
  • Nick: Bring back the 54th.
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 04:24:42 pm »
THANK GOD SOMEBODY LIKED MY IDEA OF A COMMITTEE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lawbringer

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 04:44:16 pm »
Can you force regiments that have 300+ members to disband plox

Ya

Offline junedragon

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 06:03:35 pm »
THANK GOD SOMEBODY LIKED MY IDEA OF A COMMITTEE

lol I never even knew you suggested it either.

Great minds think alike I guess  ::)
Why am I still here

Offline Kovyjack

• Captain
  • I'm gay, no homo though.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Nr.21
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 06:07:49 pm »
Literally nothing to keep players around. Unless we can create ACTUAL matchmaking. Incentives to play ($$ from tournaments isn't enough) Also if there was a way to introduce newer players to the competitive side of the game. I.e. NA_Groupfighting

Offline Salt

• Major
  • We really out here
    • View Profile
  • Nick: bless
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 06:11:44 pm »
Literally nothing to keep players around. Unless we can create ACTUAL matchmaking. Incentives to play ($$ from tournaments isn't enough) Also if there was a way to introduce newer players to the competitive side of the game. I.e. NA_Groupfighting

Agreed, but there also has to be a way for the newer players to actual enjoy competitive play. I mean it sucks for new players who only have a few months of playing time to hop on NA_GF and get stomped by players who've been playing for 3-4 years. I wish there was a way to filter by skill, but it's unlikely. Maybe a noob groupfighting server?
I'm the reincarnated Who- with no talent.

Offline Chantakey

• Donator
  • Slayer of Weebs, Destroyer of WoR, Fattest cock
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Hoekage of NW
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 06:17:56 pm »
NA Comp is dieing since every comp reg pushes away new members now.  Also, the fact that everyone is salty in the comp scene is hurting this community, ffs i nolifed this game because of the comp scene now that its no longer fun since its just constant mudslinging, I think I like girls now gross right?

Only way to stop the comp scene from dieing is stopping the salt.
Straight know at least 50 people who quit NW because NW players think they are better than everyone and just constantly throw shade if they aren't.

Offline BabyJesus

• General
  • #1 Cringe poster and lover of Anna Kendrick
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Most Average MVP of All Time
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 06:29:09 pm »
Big regs actually are hurting the community. A lot of the newer players join regiments like the 63e or USMC and are never even introduced to the competitive scene.

And some of the new players are retarded. The 71st had a new recruit who showed up to one 1v1 but then left because "we wernt good enough". Even though he died first literally every round. Like I don't understand.

1st NWPC S2(21st)|(1st) 5v5 Draft~NA GroupFighting Tournament  |1st♕Rex's 6v6 Tournament | 1st TNWL S2(71st) | 1st NWL S5 (58e) | 3rd place Sleeks 5v5 (Highschoole DxD)
You are by far the best average player to touch this game.
Quote from: Risk
The BEST average player of all time

Offline Becker-

• Donator
    • View Profile
    • "The Gang joins the Army"
  • Nick: Bring back the 54th.
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 06:36:51 pm »
We actually need to focus on the development of new players... I've always made it a point to teach leadership as opposed to straight how to be good at the game. Encourage people to think outside of the box.

Take players that are considered reg hoppers and give them a reason to be in your reg you will see a progressive/ambitious mentality appear with not only them but those they play with.

You have to keep people involved.

The more we push away new members because they don't have experience the faster the gap between big and small regiments grow.

A good example was the 29th (No offense June) but very few members were in a position to take charge and make decisions. They trained the hell out of their new mass amounts of recruits to the point where they were just a number. Changes never came. Same people led, same tactics run, same attitude every day. I
If you don't allow people to be involved no matter how big or small their involvement might be, they will never stick to the game.

We are seeing members recycled through regiments because of this mentality.

TLDR; Take ambition (whether it seems power hungry or not) and use it to benefit themselves as well as the regiments. At some point they will rise in the ranks or split off to create their own idea.

Teaching leadership is the key.

Offline antslimey

• First Lieutenant
  • Co founder and leader of the AEF and Col of 55th!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [AEF]Col_Anthony 55th_Col_Anthony
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 07:38:20 pm »
We actually need to focus on the development of new players... I've always made it a point to teach leadership as opposed to straight how to be good at the game. Encourage people to think outside of the box.

Take players that are considered reg hoppers and give them a reason to be in your reg you will see a progressive/ambitious mentality appear with not only them but those they play with.

You have to keep people involved.

The more we push away new members because they don't have experience the faster the gap between big and small regiments grow.

A good example was the 29th (No offense June) but very few members were in a position to take charge and make decisions. They trained the hell out of their new mass amounts of recruits to the point where they were just a number. Changes never came. Same people led, same tactics run, same attitude every day. I
If you don't allow people to be involved no matter how big or small their involvement might be, they will never stick to the game.

We are seeing members recycled through regiments because of this mentality.

TLDR; Take ambition (whether it seems power hungry or not) and use it to benefit themselves as well as the regiments. At some point they will rise in the ranks or split off to create their own idea.

Teaching leadership is the key.

+1 thumbs up

Offline Locust

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2016, 07:43:27 pm »
Big regs actually are hurting the community. A lot of the newer players join regiments like the 63e or USMC and are never even introduced to the competitive scene.

And some of the new players are retarded. The 71st had a new recruit who showed up to one 1v1 but then left because "we wernt good enough". Even though he died first literally every round. Like I don't understand.
lmao

Offline Theodin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 71st Guard MEME POLICE
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2016, 07:44:44 pm »
Who was that even

1x NA Duel- Runner up |  3x 3v3- 3rd place (Seadderol Deflatriots) (Ez Money) (71st Guards + Russian) | 1x Duel League- 4th place | 1x Regimental Groupfighting- 1st place (71st)  l  1x 2v2- 3rd Place (Vortex/Theodin) | TNWL Season 2 - 1st Place l 1x 2v2- 1st Place (Theodin/Elite) l 2x NANWL-
 71st, Nr8(LG) l 1x 4v4- 1st Place (RussianFury, Waste, NickCole, Theodin) l 1x Cav Joust- 2nd Place l 1x 4v4-
 3rd Place (Theodin, AsianP, Sleek, Godfried, Lurvy) l 1x 5v5 - 1st Place (RussianFury, Yoshie, Krastinov, Jorge, Theodin - Thanos and his children)

Offline junedragon

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2016, 08:03:40 pm »
Takeaways so far (mostly just brainstorming):

1) Dealing with the problem of players that sign up for events/tournaments and never show up.

Perhaps friendly reminders not to do this the first time (someone is found to have done it), then some form of sanction for repeat offenders?

2) Find ways to engage new players and give them a taste of the competitive community.

This requires more of a change in the behaviour of prominent community members. For instance, it involves trying to convince regiment leaders that developing newer players and giving them a chance to actually enjoy the game/get involved is important. We must find a way to balance out the desire to win trophies and be "successful" (nothing wrong with competition, of course) with maintaining and engaging new players.

It also involves actually attracting new players, which is obviously becoming progressively more difficult as NW ages. The use of media (Youtube, Twitch, etc.) has of course proved very successful. I'd like to explore possible ways to continue in this regard and give it a boost.

Lastly, I actually had an idea for an event along these lines. I'm gonna roll it out in a day or two.

3) The salt/shitposting and its leakage into other section of the forums.

There is a potential for concrete action here, but we have to preserve the fine line between being overly heavy-handed with moderation and allowing regiments/players to work out their own problems.

The leakage problem can potentially be mitigated via the reform of forum rules (a project that is also currently being undertaken). Specifically, perhaps we could pursue stricter and more clearly defined penalties for dragging reg drama into other boards. Maybe an immediate snip and watch for taking any sort of drama (especially in a way that violates rule 2 or 4) to another regiment's thread (and warning off others thinking of doing the same thing). Subsequently, anyone violating the rule again on the thread after this initial warning would receive an escalated penalty (larger watch or perhaps even a mute). Of course, this would also involve a re-affirmation to regiments that they are to deal with regimental disputes through the appropriate channels (PM or on the actual event thread). Basically, regiments are left free to sort out their own drama via appropriate channels while mods act to contain the fire when it spreads out of control. We can't stop the drama cold turkey, but perhaps we can get it under control at least to some extent (and prevent it from alienating players, especially newer ones).

I'm interested to see what you think of this actually.
Why am I still here